Rock 'n' Chips - Only Fools and Horses Prequel

Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
Forum Member
Comedy Production and Shazam Productions have been commissioned by BBC One to make a new 90-minute comedy drama which focuses on the earlier years of Peckham's most famous family, the Trotters, it was announced today.

It's 1960 and Peckham's answer to Brigitte Bardot, Joan Trotter, is not-so-happily ensconced with the work-shy, Reg Trotter and her teenage son, Derek. But the reappearance of "art connoisseur" Freddie Rodbal, fresh from a 10-year stay as a guest of Her Majesty, is set to ruffle some feathers in the Trotter household.

Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Chips is written by Only Fools And Horses creator John Sullivan, will be produced by Gareth Gwenlan and executive produced by Mark Freeland for BBC Comedy.

Mark Freeland, Head of Comedy at the BBC, says: "'Once upon a time in Peckham...' How incredibly tantalising. Nearly 30 years since Only Fools And Horses hit our screens, now we'll have the chance to see the vivid, bittersweet drama that underpinned the iconic series."

A co-production between in-house BBC Comedy and John Sullivan's production company Shazam Productions, Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Chips will start shooting, entirely on location in London, in August, for transmission next year.

The comedy drama will centre on the relationships between the glamorous (certain neighbours might say "tarty") Joan Trotter, Del-boy's useless father Reg, the safe-cracker, Freddie Robdal and the young Del-boy himself.

And there will be a chance to see the teenage incarnations of some familiar faces including Boycie, Trigger, Denzil and Jumbo Mills.

The Trotter family haven't yet moved into their flat in Nelson Mandela House, but there'll be some recognisable settings such as the mean streets of Peckham and the Nag’s Head circa 1960.

Writer John Sullivan says: "Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Chips will be set in the real Sixties, before The Beatles and Mary Quant made London the coolest place on the planet."

"The drama will feature South London at its least glamorous, where money was scarce, the staple diet was rock salmon and chips, and the flicks offer the only hint of glamour. And it will give us a bit of an insight into why Del and Rodney turned out they way they did."

Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Chips is a co-production between Shazam Productions and BBC Comedy and was commissioned by Jay Hunt, Controller, BBC One and Lucy Lumsden, former Controller, Comedy Commissioning.

This sounds great! :)

Comments

• Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Bad idea.

I have 5 words for you

First of the Summer Wine
  • cliffcollinscliffcollins Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    no thanks leave it alone john dont tarnish the show anymore it should of ended when they got millions for the watch imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible name, but will watch out of curiosity, John Sullivan is a good writer, so I'm sure he will do well.
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I have a bad feeling about this.

I feel that some things, like Del & Rodney's mum (who of course said so many things on her death bed!) are best left off-screen and to the imagination.

It might be good, and I'm sure I'll watch, but I'm sceptical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh. Great.

(Sarcasm mode off.)

Why do we need a prequel? Annoyingly, all the people will tune in because "Oh look, it's Del and Rodney, dear!" and the viewers will soon disappear. That's what I predict anyway.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be difficult to find actors who can perform the role of a younger Del Boy and the other characters in the manner that the viewers would expect.

Only Fools and Horses will always be a hard act to follow. Any other incarnation will just smack of riding on the coattails.
  • legomattylegomatty Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. :( When will they learn to leave well alone? After the dreadful last episodes of Only Fools (should have finished when they became millionaires) & The Green Green Grassyou'd have thought they'd learned their lesson. Only Fools was a classic but please no more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if they'll have the odd racist remark to make it seem more real to the time what with immigration affecting the inner cities back then? Of course not. I only mention it because I remember how in the first series Del or Rodney would say the odd racist word which even in 1980 seemed a bit close (but still got laughs from the studio audience) and which are now deleted on repeats. Whether you liked Alf Garnett or not John Sullivan wasn't writing as cleverly as Johnnie Speight and used some disgraceful language.
    Forum Member
    RegCox wrote: »
    Wonder if they'll have the odd racist remark to make it seem more real to the time what with immigration affecting the inner cities back then? Of course not. I only mention it because I remember how in the first series Del or Rodney would say the odd racist word which even in 1980 seemed a bit close (but still got laughs from the studio audience) and which are now deleted on repeats. Whether you liked Alf Garnett or not John Sullivan wasn't writing as cleverly as Johnnie Speight and used some disgraceful language.

It was words that were acceptable at the time. Del used two words to describe certain people but they were never used in a racist sense and that time people did pop down to the **** shop or to the word that is apparently not longer acceptable to describe a chinese take away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    It was words that were acceptable at the time. Del used two words to describe certain people but they were never used in a racist sense and that time people did pop down to the **** shop or to the word that is apparently not longer acceptable to describe a chinese take away.

That's my point- they weren't acceptable to the viewing public even in 1980. I remember being shocked. Words like P**i have never been acceptable in my lifetime and I'm almost 40. Johnnie Speight wanted to make Alf Garnett out to be be a racist bigot. I don't think that was John Sullivan's intention to make Del and Rodney like that at all. I've always found John Sullivan a generation or two out of touch.
  • benny1982benny1982 Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    I wonder how old Del Boy is meant to be in 1960. In the final episode of OFAH in 2003 Sid points to a pic of Del in July 1960 and says "About 15" then Rodney requotes that age later on when showing Cassnadra a pic. But Del may have not been exactly 15 as he may have been just coming up to 15. In the 1991 episode "The Class Of 62" Del says he left school in 1962 which would make him born about 1946 or 1947.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    How did a uk comedy writing great come up with a title like that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    How did a uk comedy writing great come up with a title like that?

I quite like it!
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh..
    Forum Member
    RegCox wrote: »
    That's my point- they weren't acceptable to the viewing public even in 1980. I remember being shocked. Words like P**i have never been acceptable in my lifetime and I'm almost 40. Johnnie Speight wanted to make Alf Garnett out to be be a racist bigot. I don't think that was John Sullivan's intention to make Del and Rodney like that at all. I've always found John Sullivan a generation or two out of touch.

I wouldnt have said those words shocked many in 1980. I was only 2 in 1980 so i dont know but i remeber watching repeats on the bbc and it wasnt bleeped out or cut, im guessing that was mid to late 80s.

It was only when uk gold got the scissors out as they do with everything that the words were cut.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a really clumsy title. It could end up being memorable for all the wrong reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Well i think it will work, i think its been in the planning stage for years. So hopefully it should be very good. If they just do One ep and one ep only that will be good. But i think it could work well as a 3 X 1hr series. But thats just my personal thoughts. I didnt see them mention Grandad i hope they have him in there as well. My guess it will air Xmas Day 2010
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OFAH / green green grass jumped the shark years ago

terrible writing
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Don't think this will work out for a couple of reasons.

1) It's very difficult to find good child actors and it is near impossible to imagine anybody else as Del Boy.

2) If the recent episodes of OF&H and most episodes of Green Green Grass are anything to go by,John Sullivan lost his touch years ago.

A better idea was the prequel/spinoff series about Freddy Robdal starring Nicholas Lyndhurst.At least that didn't have the task of trying to endear the public to a new Del Boy.On second thoughts,they might as well just make another episode of Only Fools for Xmas.
  • TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love it to be great, but know it will be a let down. Seems they are flogging a dead horse now, if Sullivan wants to write something he should write a completely new sitcom.
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    legomatty wrote: »
    Oh dear. :( When will they learn to leave well alone? After the dreadful last episodes of Only Fools (should have finished when they became millionaires) & The Green Green Grassyou'd have thought they'd learned their lesson. Only Fools was a classic but please no more.

Seconded.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tungsten wrote: »
    Would love it to be great, but know it will be a let down. Seems they are flogging a dead horse now, if Sullivan wants to write something he should write a completely new sitcom.
    I agree TGGG was written by Sullivan and a pool of writers, and have grave doubts that the magic could be re-captured, of course the first episode of OFAH back in 1081 was mediocre, but has been mentioned since the "scissor sisters" @ G.O.L.D. has sanitised evey episode, its a pale shadow
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is something my mate told me about sometime ago, its not going to be what you think, its going to have some very hard hiting bits in it.

I think its going to be very good and i ask the menber of this forum and the press to give it a chance.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lakes wrote: »
    This is something my mate told me about sometime ago, its not going to be what you think, its going to have some very hard hiting bits in it.

I refer my learned friend to the O.F.A.H Episode "A Royal Flush" where Sullivan changed Del Trotter's persona, but changed his mind on completion of said episode and had it re-edited
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I refer my learned friend to the O.F.A.H Episode "A Royal Flush" where Sullivan changed Del Trotter's persona, but changed his mind on completion of said episode and had it re-edited

yes i do take your point on board and it is a good one.