Options

FA Cup 2010-11 second round coverage

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
AFC Wimbledon vs MK Dons is bound to be on ITV if both clubs win their replays. Dover's match against Brentford or Aldershot is in for a shout too.

Comments

• Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Possibly Droyslden v Orient too, or maybe Vauxhall v Yeovil. Also Crawley v Swindon has a chance too.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the matches for the 2nd round selected before the 1st round replays results are known. If AFC Wimbledon/Ebbsfleet v MK Dons/Stevenage is chosen and it ends up as Ebbsfleet v Stevenage it obviously wouldn't be as good for the TV company. Nevertheless Ebbsfleet v Stevenage would still be a non league tie v a league tie, with the non league side at home.
  • Options
    hessy2hessy2 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crawley v Swindon is a certainty. Top of conference v League 1 team.

Will the TV companies risk going for Wimbledon v MK Dons? They could end up with Ebbsfleet v Stevenage- not a great game (no disrespect to those teams.)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't the actual draw coverage pathetic, no sense of occasion at all, it was like tombola at the local village fete.In the next round they'll probably have Mylene Klass and Paul O'Grady doing it, another own goal for ITV Sport.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an extremely poor draw, there isnt 1 good matchup apart from the possible Wimbledon v Dons and thats only got a 25% chance of happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are the matches for the 2nd round selected before the 1st round replays results are known. If AFC Wimbledon/Ebbsfleet v MK Dons/Stevenage is chosen and it ends up as Ebbsfleet v Stevenage it obviously wouldn't be as good for the TV company. Nevertheless Ebbsfleet v Stevenage would still be a non league tie v a league tie, with the non league side at home.

They can be selected after the replays, I don't believe they're under any obligation contractually to choose games by a certain date.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    Its an extremely poor draw, there isnt 1 good matchup apart from the possible Wimbledon v Dons and thats only got a 25% chance of happening.

So don't you reckon Crawley Town v Swindon Town is a good match up?

What matches would you choose (or predict) for live showing?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I disagree, there's a couple of decent 1's there (Crawley v Swindon as mentioned) as well as a couple of potentially decent 1's. Yes it's a bit of a poor draw on the whole, but it's not as bad as you make out in my opinion, claiming there isn't 1 good match.
  • Options
    gilstagilsta Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know which is more ridiculous, your maths or your expectations. If you're not happy with a selection of TV games to choose including a 50-50 chance of one of the biggest second round games in the competition's history, plus a good chance for some smaller teams to reach the third round, then you're not a football fan.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good set of potential for TV Games

Wimbledon v Milton Keynes
    Brighton v FC United
    Dover v Brentford
    Crawley v Swindon
    Notts Co v Bournemouth
    Droylsden v Orient
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the other two ties will be Crawley v Swindon, and Dover v Brentford or Aldershot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its silly to say the match has a 25% chance of happening as football games are not games of probability, they are based on skill. I.E. if it was two coin tosses deciding if the tie goes ahead than yes it would be a 25% probability.

Considering the fact that both AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons are one division higher than their opponents, it would not be true to say that there is an equal chance of their opponents Ebbsfleet and Stevenage going through.

Overall probability is not even relevant when discussing the chances of a team winning a football match.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is, the more different outcomes equals the less chance of a particular outcome happening.

eg when the Euro finals draws are made for the quarters and semis, its going to be a long shot to predict the final.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Any chance of Sheffield Wednesday v Northampton Town being picked?
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

No chance.
  • Options
    lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from the obvious Wimbledon game, id say FC United vs Brighton will be chosen (assuming Brighton win).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »

Absolutely none.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Judio wrote: »
    Good set of potential for TV Games

Wimbledon v Milton Keynes
    Brighton v FC United
    Dover v Brentford
    Crawley v Swindon
    Notts Co v Bournemouth
    Droylsden v Orient

Notts County v Bournemouth as a potential TV game? You absolutely must be having a laugh there. There's NO reason whatsoever for it to even be considered for 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001secs.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put it on the list because it is the only all League One Tie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Judio wrote: »
    I put it on the list because it is the only all League One Tie

Er..........yeah. With all due respect, that's a rubbish reason to put it on the list as a possible TV game. Nobody would watch an FA Cup round 2 game between 2 average League 1 sides. It'd have about as much interest in it as a fish would have interest in eating Scooby snacks wrapped in Popeye's spinach.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Notts County v Bournemouth as a potential TV game? You absolutely must be having a laugh there. There's NO reason whatsoever for it to even be considered for 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001secs.

It was more than a potential TV game last year - it was one, albeit a league match. Not this time though. I think there's its so going to be Wimbledon, Crawley and Dover.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    No chance.
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Absolutely none.
    Thanks guys. That puts that one to bed then!
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My three ties for live tv are:-

Crawley Town v Swindon Town
    Dover v Brentford or Aldershot
    Droylsdon v Dagenham & Redbridge or Leyton Orient

I shouldn't think either ITV or ESPN will take a chance on a possible AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons tie as the replays are being played next week instead of this week!

Also, l think that Woking v Brighton and Vauxhall Motors v Hartlepool replys will be shown live on tv with Ebbsfleet v AFC Wimbledon a possible outside bet to gatecrash the party due to the outcome of the 2nd Round draw!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Ebbsfleet v Stevenage wouldn't be that bad a tie. I think if the TV companies choose before the replays they may as well choose this, because any of the 4 options isn't too bad for them. Obviously AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons doesn't need anyone to explain it. Ebbsfleet are a conference south club who have a fairly interesting story as they were the fans club who people brought on the internet. Stevenage have just got into the league, and MK Dons despite everything are a good club for TV, even if its because no one actually likes them!
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Ebbsfleet v Stevenage wouldn't be that bad a tie. I think if the TV companies choose before the replays they may as well choose this, because any of the 4 options isn't too bad for them. Obviously AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons doesn't need anyone to explain it. Ebbsfleet are a conference south club who have a fairly interesting story as they were the fans club who people brought on the internet. Stevenage have just got into the league, and MK Dons despite everything are a good club for TV, even if its because no one actually likes them!

Good call! The problem is that Stevenage, as you had pointed out, was a non-league club themselves until this season, this may count against this tie being shown? However l'll understand the reason if this tie gets selected over any of the matches l have nominated for live coverage!