Terry and June

Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
Forum Member
✭✭
Just watching one of these on itv3.

This used to be one of the biggest shows on TV. TBH, its hard to see why it was. It looks very dated, now. Also, Terry Scott wasn't that good, fluffing some lines. June Whitfield was good though.

From what I remember, I preferred Hugh and I to Terry and June.

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching one of these on itv3.

This used to be one of the biggest shows on TV. TBH, its hard to see why it was. It looks very dated, now. Also, Terry Scott wasn't that good, fluffing some lines. June Whitfield was good though.

From what I remember, I preferred Hugh and I to Terry and June.

because when it was on, it was of its date
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    You can see where Mitchell and Webb got the Hennimore sketch from with Terry's relationship with Sir Dennis.
  • VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry and June had its moments but, generally, it wasn't anywhere near as good/sharp as its predecessor Happy Ever After, with the wonderfully undermining Aunt Lucy.

I've never understood the backing for June Whitfield- Terry Scott was the energy of Terry and June and June Whitfield seemed to dial her performance in more and more and just let him get on with it, which rather undermined his performance.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I saw it today on ITV3....after George & MIldred it looked VERY dated indeed. A nice happy-go-lucky show, but it doesn't have the same bite as G&M did a few years later.
    Times were changing in those days I suppose!
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George and Mildred has dated spectacularly badly Terry and June is merely awful. People complain about the mini revival of the "three walls and an audience" with IT Crowd and Miranda but you can see the difference between now and then in terms of acting/writing. (despite everything its better now when compared to a run of the mill 70s sit-com )
  • Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George and Mildred was a fantastic show that has stood the test of time.

Terry and June on the other hand is one of the worst sitcoms I've ever seen, couldn't stand it as a kid and having had to sit through it a couple of times lately my feelings haven't changed!
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,207
    Forum Member
    I saw it today on ITV3....after George & MIldred it looked VERY dated indeed. A nice happy-go-lucky show, but it doesn't have the same bite as G&M did a few years later.
    Times were changing in those days I suppose!

George And Mildred pre-dated Terry And June by 3 years
    Forum Member
    George and Mildred was a fantastic show that has stood the test of time.

Terry and June on the other hand is one of the worst sitcoms I've ever seen, couldn't stand it as a kid and having had to sit through it a couple of times lately my feelings haven't changed!

IMO they're both great
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    IMO they're both great

We'll have to agree to disagree;)

I love quite a few 70s sitcoms but T&J was just awful (IMO).
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I caught a bit of this this afternoon. Don't know whether it was scripted or not, but it did sound like Terry fluffed his lines at one point and then ad-libed his way out of it.
    When it got to the point of the young boy mumbling (much to the amusement of the studio audience), I gave up.
    May have been funny once, but not any more.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall one about Terry dancing at a disco-then staggering out of the hall, saying he was fine until he saw his own reflection.

In another, he mocked June's parents, saying her father was like Frankenstein (or his monster, one assumes) and that her Mummy was like a horror-film Mummy (does zombie-like walk).

In one, they both visited a health farm, and while June got a sexy male masseur, Terry got a massage from an ugly old bloke who knocked him about-while in another episode, Terry recounts how he has three times in a row got the same wrong number, saying the first time, he got told "Get knotted," the second one got told, "Get stuffed," and that the third time, "they suggested something physically impossible!"

Despite all the stick the show gets, it did have its funny moments.
    Forum Member

Actually it began im '79 so it was practically an 80s show
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Saw today's episode of Terry and June. It had an element of nostalgia for me but otherwise I didn't find it funny as a kid and nothing's changed now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Actually it began im '79 so it was practically an 80s show

Well either way I didn't think it was up to much, don't think the decade it was made in makes any difference really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    A thread on the subject of the comedy Terry and June was started before this one and it can be found here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1442799
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    June Whitfield was good though.

June is a great actress who - quite understandably - is hugely popular with the British public.

A television documentary about her was broadcast again by the BBC at the end of May of this year.
    Forum Member
    A thread on the subject of the comedy Terry and June was started before this one and it can be found here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1442799

to quote blue peter,here's 1 I made earlier too
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1225105&highlight=terry+june
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    George and Mildred has dated spectacularly badly Terry and June is merely awful. People complain about the mini revival of the "three walls and an audience" with IT Crowd and Miranda but you can see the difference between now and then in terms of acting/writing. (despite everything its better now when compared to a run of the mill 70s sit-com )

They were both awful.

Sitcoms with a limited 'sit', laboured 'com' and no real point.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    They were both awful.

Sitcoms with a limited 'sit', laboured 'com' and no real point.

Tastes have changed, I find most of the fashionable comedy stuff on any the moment not funny at all even the ones the luvvies rave about like The Office, Little Britain etc. I am sure someone must like them as they have had reasonable viewing figures. Terry and June and George and Mildred got much higher viewing figures in their day.
  • WatlingA5WatlingA5 Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    June is a great actress who - quite understandably - is hugely popular with the British public.

A television documentary about her was broadcast again by the BBC at the end of May of this year.

Don't know if was that programme but I seem to recall her saying that she still makes a very good living in supporting roles and was never bothered about stardom.

Of course, I may be wrong. My wife says I usually am :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Terry and June was practicly in the Eighties. It started in 1979.
    Forum Member
    Terry and June was practicly in the Eighties. It started in 1979.

I made the exact same point above:D
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Tastes have changed, I find most of the fashionable comedy stuff on any the moment not funny at all even the ones the luvvies rave about like The Office, Little Britain etc. I am sure someone must like them as they have had reasonable viewing figures. Terry and June and George and Mildred got much higher viewing figures in their day.

What would they have got today though with rather more channels and other distractions?

Or the figures some of the modern sitcoms would have attracted with 3 channels, no PCs etc?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For it's time T & J was funny, yes it looks dated & tastes chnage but I still enjoy it along with a lot of the 70's comdedies for me they are far better than a lot of the bilge that is put out today. No, a lot of them are not PC or have shock horror stereotypes :D & don't conform to other fluffy wuffy ideals of today. How verey dare they! :D