Options

Constructive Comments Only! – Where did it go wrong for the UK?

Comments

• Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It felt flat on the stage to be honest.

I will say this if we are to use BBC introducing we should be producing sounds more like the Netherlands, Armenia and Hungary had tonight not the typical ESC song we expect with Eurovision
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    It's hard to say. Being last didn't help but songs have won from signing last before. The promo was so much better, perhaps it just didn't translate to a bigger stage. I also didn't like some of the camera shots.

I am so disappointed right now, the song and Molly should have placed top 10.
  • Options
    Rusty NailsRusty Nails Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I felt that something was missing in Molly's performance and it didn't end the show with a big bang as expected.

Compared to her first performance in the promo, she was moving around, being relaxed with the audience supporting her. Tonight, she was just standing there for most of the time & didn't have that audience cheering for her compared to other acts (thought I could hear them singing along e.g. Sweden or was that just me?!), so it felt a bit flat.

It's a shame really. I do like the song, so thought it may still end up in the Top 10.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    The song. Sounded like someone was trying to write a Eurovision song rather than trying to write a good song.

Completely agree, the UK always tries to write a 'eurovision winner' (there's really no such thing) and I think it's just so obvious to everyone and they're no buying it.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song was forgettable, how on earth did the decision makers think that would win, or maybe they just couldn't get anyone decent to enter.
  • Options
    shinnyrshinnyr Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to enter as separate countries; Scotland, Wales, England and N. Ireland. At least that way you'd be assured of some block voting ;-)
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    i think the bbc are to blame..they dont let the public have a uk song contest to vote for their song..they just impose their choice and look how well weve done....

Well we did well before they started doing this didn't we! It's just a matter of decent song, delivered well and maybe renaming the country. We may win if so.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being on last was supposed to be good. Now some are saying it wasn't. Just admit it, Europe doesn't like us. The song was NEVER 17th. Not in a million years.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope we send something with no hope again tbh haha

I've not enjoyed it as much with the hope and let down...so knowing well be 17th is easier than expecting higher
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lectrospin wrote: »
    Completely agree, the UK always tries to write a 'eurovision winner' (there's really no such thing) and I think it's just so obvious to everyone and they're no buying it.

This really. I grew to like Molly a lot over the weeks but my inital impression was it needed different lyrics.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The performance was flat and didn't click at all.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I thought the overall quality was good this year. Molly did not stand out. And the performance was lacklustre.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    That was the first time I properly heard the UK song and I was surprised after all the hype that it was a fairly weak song and performance.

I agree with you. First time for me as well. There was a lot of good competition this year as well. Probably one of the better years.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    The song was boring and instantly forgettable.

She sang through her nose, and the lyrics were idiotic - didn't deserved,e to win, but did deserve to do better than she did against the competition.

I thought it might have scraped the top 10. Performing last doesn't make much difference to a bad song with crass lyrics. She sounded ropey as well. Bye Molly.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was totally underwhelmed by the song and her performance of it on the night.
  • Options
    InsanellamaInsanellama Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Everyone on here was going on about how good the song was and the instant it does rubbish you all change your minds? It's as if none of you want to factor in that it is harder for some countries. Would Russia for instance of ended up worse than the UK if we switched songs?

I am a self confessed Eurovision fan and in the past thought we deserved to do badly but this year we so did not. It's time you guys also admit it, we deserved to be higher. Are you telling me every country which ended up with a higher placing than us was better?
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The camera angles on the night seemed very wrong to me.

Also as being one of the big five, the UK is always going to be at a disadvantage since they only perform once, so performing last is a huge disadvantage. It also means you need to be absolutely perfect, and no one ever is.

Without the momentum of going through semi-finals I think it's a struggle to connect with the full audience, and why the UK needs IMO a more considered effort promoting around Europe. This helped with Jade and Blue IMO.

Another issue I have, is while the BBC introducing is a truly fantastic platform to use, it's very difficult to promote this in Europe without a record label on board BEFORE making an announcement. Eurovision needs to be very considered, almost calculating in a way to create a hype and buzz around you all around the continent.

Otherwise there needs to be a big scale national final type show with only credible, decent songs selected and commendable performers.

In my personal opinion COTU WAS one of the better songs in a strong year. It was superior to Belarus, Sweden, Spain and Russia IMO but they succeeded to better places.

Molly did great and has been a truly great ambassador for the UK and deserves a great career out of this. I really hope she manages this but is country will do nothing to help her now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This really. I grew to like Molly a lot over the weeks but my inital impression was it needed different lyrics.

I really don't get why we send songs that are so far removed from UK popular music.We have some great artists and songwriters and yet, we send a song that normally nobody would listen to and would have no hope of making the charts.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not think it was good enough to win for sure but 17th:(. Apart from bribing the eastern county votes I cannot see us winning.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I thought it might have scraped the top 10. Performing last doesn't make much difference to a bad song with crass lyrics. She sounded ropey as well. Bye Molly.

If you factor in block voting then an entry from the UK (or any other nation outside the big voting blocks) would have to be up to the quality of, say, the Netherlands entry to get into the top 5. We can't seriously expect to get into the top 10 with average songs.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    lectrospin wrote: »
    I really don't get why we send songs that are so far removed from UK popular music.We have some great artists and songwriters and yet, we send a song that normally nobody would listen to and would have no hope of making the charts.

Did you think Russia was top half tonight? You could put David Bowie in his heyday on there, he still wouldn't win.
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    [Forum regular NON-TROLL post]

The whole performance felt kind of flat.. the camera angles often missed key action and spent a lot of time gazing into nothing. The pyros were barely visible too. I can't fault Molly at all, she was vocally brilliant. But I kept waiting for the song to pick up and it simply didn't. I can't blame any jury or televoter for skimming over it.

BUT it was a commendable effort. It was natural, not forced. I prefer this kind of thing to a golden oldie from 30 years ago. There's always next year, BBC!
  • Options
    BBTIMEBBTIME Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought her performance was her weakest. She looked terrified and her vocals weren't as strong.

Again we need to think about staging. However, we need to get away from songs that require heavy backing singers. It looks really dated and never sounds good on the night.

No way did it deserve 17 though
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Molly was only okayish vocally : definitely not as good as Austria, NL, Spain and several others. and I thought she looked a little stern and unfriendly at times.

But the real problem was the song......it was clearly a long way from the best one on the evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone on here was going on about how good the song was and the instant it does rubbish you all change your minds? It's as if none of you want to factor in that it is harder for some countries. Would Russia for instance of ended up worse than the UK if we switched songs?

I am a self confessed Eurovision fan and in the past thought we deserved to do badly but this year we so did not. It's time you guys also admit it, we deserved to be higher. Are you telling me every country which ended up with a higher placing than us was better?

I don't think any had worse lyrics, except france and they were lower.