Samira Ahmed not presenting Sunday Morning Live Series 5

george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
Forum Member
So I was thinking about Sunday Morning Live recently, which alternates series by series with The Big Questions. Whilst I enjoy TBQ, I much prefer SML because it's more contained and I feel that the questions are more relevant. So I tweeted Samira Ahmed to ask if there will be a new series soon, and she responds, 'I think so, but I've found out not with me.'

I'm really disappointed actually. I'll watch the next series whoever the presenter is, but I thought Samira did such a good job. She was calm, professional, had good poise and handled the debates exceptionally well in my opinion. I didn't watch it much when Susanna Reid was hosting, but there was an episode last year when Samira was away and Sally Magnusson stood in, and the differences between them were so obvious. Sally just seemed a lot more flustered than Samira. If they have to have a new presenter, I'm hoping Katie Derham. She covered another episode last year, and I didn't think she was that bad, but I will really miss Samira.

Comments

• katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Youre obviously very much taken with Miss Ahmed.Im sure she will pop up on something else for you :)
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Youre obviously very much taken with Miss Ahmed.Im sure she will pop up on something else for you :)

I'm not 'taken' with her as such, I just respect her as a presenter and think she does a really sterling job. It's difficult to arbitrate in debates, it takes a good deal of skill, and I have rarely seen anyone who does it as well as she does.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think she is an excellent presenter and really enjoyed her on SML. I've watched her since her Channel 4 News days and always thought she would be good on Today.

She is so much better on News Watch than Raymond Snoddy was as she seems more able to elicit answers from people.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Susanna Reid present SML before Samira?
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Didn't Susanna Reid present SML before Samira?

Yeah, she did. I wasn't really watching it then though, I've only really got into it since Samira has done it. I saw one episode with Susanna, and it was nothing to write home about.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the BBC have a good reason for bringing in a new presenter, we don't know.Not a programme I watched, reading the papers on Sunday mornings.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, she did. I wasn't really watching it then though, I've only really got into it since Samira has done it. I saw one episode with Susanna, and it was nothing to write home about.

I used to watch Susanna on SML and its probably very unfair of me but I always got the impression she was too "nice" for shows where the debate could get heavy, awkward and maybe a bit nasty too. Arguably perfect for Breakfast where the items were largely short and the atmosphere just informal enough for a bit of banter. SML was almost the only project the BBC gave her outside of Breakfast and she only lasted two seasons -I might be wrong but I don't think the BBC had much of an idea of how to use her(outside of Breakfast ofcourse). And maybe she would not have been happy herself (with her politics law and philosophy background) being 4th reporter on some BBC consumer filler show.

In the end maybe the chance of leading the line on GMB was just too tempting-even though it looks like it will end in tears again for ITV.
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I used to watch Susanna on SML and its probably very unfair of me but I always got the impression she was too "nice" for shows where the debate could get heavy, awkward and maybe a bit nasty too. Arguably perfect for Breakfast where the items were largely short and the atmosphere just informal enough for a bit of banter. SML was almost the only project the BBC gave her outside of Breakfast and she only lasted two seasons -I might be wrong but I don't think the BBC had much of an idea of how to use her(outside of Breakfast ofcourse). And maybe she would not have been happy herself (with her politics law and philosophy background) being 4th reporter on some BBC consumer filler show.

In the end maybe the chance of leading the line on GMB was just too tempting-even though it looks like it will end in tears again for ITV.

Have you seen the series of SML with Samira?
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen the series of SML with Samira?

Actually no. It was just my observation on Susanna.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a while I could not figure why there was a programme called Small, Medium, Large:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presenters change all the time, often when a new producer comes in.Perhaps the BBC have other plans for her ?
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Presenters change all the time, often when a new producer comes in.Perhaps the BBC have other plans for her ?

I hope that this is the reason that they have made the decision, and not just because someone thinks SML needs new blood. The way she worded her tweet sounded as though it was the BBC's decision, not hers, for her to stop presenting the show. It will be hard to find someone as good to take over in my opinion, although as I said if I was the producer I would approach Katie Derham, as she did a pretty good job when she covered the show last year.
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Katie Derham will present the next series.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked Samira presenting this programme.
    Forum Member
    Danslink wrote: »
    Katie Derham will present the next series.

How do you know? Has she confirmed that? I hope you're right :) She's no Samira, but she'd be better than a lot of people.
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always find her quite rude, often never let's the interviee respond.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never have watched SML.

But if it is the same Samira that presents Newswatch, Then I don't go a bundle on her.

Even though she works for the corporation, she never seems to agree, with how the BBC do things, which must go down wonders with her bosses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never have watched SML.

But if it is the same Samira that presents Newswatch, Then I don't go a bundle on her.

Even though she works for the corporation, she never seems to agree, with how the BBC do things, which must go down wonders with her bosses.

Could it be because her job as Newswatch presenter is to represent the viewers not the BBC suits ? It's not her fault that the BBC consistently refuses to put up spokespeople to reply to viewers' complaints - which reflects on the management not on Newswatch.I believe there is no known record of any BBC spokesperson on Newswatch conceding a mistake has been made by the hierarchy. When the supine Ray Snoddy presented Newswatch he seemed to find it extraordinary that anyone would criticise the BBC and unerringly agreed with the BBC spokespeople.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Prefer The Big Questions (TBQ). SML is often a bit disorganised, with Skype and other communications not working as they should.

TBQ makes me realise that Nicky Campbell is a really good and professional presenter as hosting that type of debate is not easy. (As often seen on SML!)
    Forum Member
    Never have watched SML.

As ftv said, I respect that she expresses her own opinions on things, and doesn't just tow the party line. I'm sure it frustrates the BBC, but I think it takes guts when you're in her job to do that. Not many presenters do it, and I find it quite refreshing. I hope that isn't the reason that they've taken her off SML.
    Prefer The Big Questions (TBQ). SML is often a bit disorganised, with Skype and other communications not working as they should.

TBQ makes me realise that Nicky Campbell is a really good and professional presenter as hosting that type of debate is not easy. (As often seen on SML!)

I have appeared on The Big Questions twice, and can personally vouch for how great Nicky Campbell is. When they turn the cameras off, he is just as fun and charismatic as he is onscreen, if not even more so. He chats to the audience members a bit before the show, and he really does come across as a really genuine nice man. I haven't really had a one-on-one conversation with him as there are a lot of people for him to talk to, but I've made eye contact with him a few times and he smiles and nods at me, which is quite pleasant. I think some presenters pretty much ignore the audience.

But as a format, I prefer Sunday Morning Live, for a few reasons: a) The questions are pretty much always relevant to what is going on in the UK, whereas The Big Questions has some that just go around in circles, such as this morning's 'Is there life after death?'; b) There is a smaller panel and no live audience, so there is less of people shouting over each other and more time for individuals to be heard; and c) There are opportunities for the viewers to take part in the debates, and you don't get that on The Big Questions. There are sometimes technical details with the Skype calls, but if you're contacting people who can't make it to the studio that is naturally going to happen sometimes.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Sian Williams is taking over, the show is moving to The One show studio at Broadcasting House.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/sunday-morning-live
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Interesting. Thought Sian had chosen to step back from TV. New look ahead for Sunday Morning Live.
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SML seriously showed up Susanna Reid as a bad facilitator and shallow thinker. To be honest I don't believe that Sian is very much better, but I will give her a good chance!
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Sian Williams is taking over, the show is moving to The One show studio at Broadcasting House.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/sunday-morning-live
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A programme coming from a studio in London with a production base in Belfast.....this must be a first even for the BBC. Producers travelling backwards and forwards each week ?
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    A programme coming from a studio in London with a production base in Belfast.....this must be a first even for the BBC. Producers travelling backwards and forwards each week ?

Points Of View surely?