Options

The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nation wrote: »
    The main point I'm trying to get is that you have some valid points but going over it and digging it up wont achieve anything. It is clear people have their own stance and nobody here is "whiter than white" (David, Tweam, this forum etc etc).

That's not really a valid response to what I've just said. At all. In fact you've basically just glossed over it.

The fact is, fans here have gone really hard supporting Alex in the past and it has been thrown back in our faces. We were basically humiliated and ridiculed on this site and nothing has been done in return. She did that studio gig thing, but only a whole year after everything happened.

It seems like they just don't care and would rather have secret dinners with Tweam so they can gossip about people. It's way to cliquey for my liking. Alex doesn't even publicise her TV appearances anymore. Great way to keep fans interested!

Since you've been lurking on this thread "waaaay back", you should know that we have done nothing but support Alex. It turned bitter when some started calling us trolls and berating us for being concerned about Alex's career.

I'm not going to be "nicey nicey" to people who don't care for my opinion, it doesn't do anything for anyone. Personally I think they have some serious issues with taking fans for granted. I'm not going to stand around and pretend Alex's career is going amazingly. Yeah she is doing the show, but she has NO music career in the UK to go back to after the show ends. Just look at how WDHG went down on iTunes. No-one is interested in her music at all and that's a disastrous place to be.

If some fans want to pretend everything is ok then that's up to them, but to me it's not helping Alex at all by doing so, it's just leading her into disaster and she doesn't deserve that.

We've tried to get the message to her about how she can keep going but it seems no-one is interested and just wants to shade us all the time. It's just boring now and compared to last year, this thread is empty. That says it all really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    That's not really a valid response to what I've just said. At all. In fact you've basically just glossed over it.

The fact is, fans here have gone really hard supporting Alex in the past and it has been thrown back in our faces. We were basically humiliated and ridiculed on this site and nothing has been done in return. She did that studio gig thing, but only a whole year after everything happened.

It seems like they just don't care and would rather have secret dinners with Tweam so they can gossip about people. It's way to cliquey for my liking. Alex doesn't even publicise her TV appearances anymore. Great way to keep fans interested!

Since you've been lurking on this thread "waaaay back", you should know that we have done nothing but support Alex. It turned bitter when some started calling us trolls and berating us for being concerned about Alex's career.

I'm not going to be "nicey nicey" to people who don't care for my opinion, it doesn't do anything for anyone. Personally I think they have some serious issues with taking fans for granted. I'm not going to stand around and pretend Alex's career is going amazingly. Yeah she is doing the show, but she has NO music career in the UK to go back to after the show ends. Just look at how WDHG went down on iTunes. No-one is interested in her music at all and that's a disastrous place to be.

If some fans want to pretend everything is ok then that's up to them, but to me it's not helping Alex at all by doing so, it's just leading her into disaster and she doesn't deserve that.

We've tried to get the message to her about how she can keep going but it seems no-one is interested and just wants to shade us all the time. It's just boring now and compared to last year, this thread is empty. That says it all really.

How exactly is that not valid? Isn't looking forward the way to move on, thats my point as staying in a rut only serves to make you bitter.

Yes I've seen the thread for a while so I am aware of the periods of support while noticing the moments of petty, childish remarks...so yes I should & do know. It swings both ways so thats why I said "no nobody is whiter than white". I don't recall any secret meals in a while, hasn't Alex been flying back from US to UK frequently over the last 12-18 months?

I don't recall saying be "nicey nicey".. please refer me to where I said that, I said mutual respect to agree to disagree and move forward as the bottom line is we all want the same thing to see a successful AB. If not, then you way wish to consider your need to post and talk about her here but thats up to you really.

We are all aware of the last two years, the underperformance of HOH and the events since but I wouldn't consider for a second that Alex doesn't care because she is a hard worker IMO. Doesn't always get it right I agree (WDHG & New Rules) but I would never question her commitiment. You simply do NOT get to what she has achieved without having the desire to care and succeed. Thats just my opinion on it.

You say nobody is here for her music, to a degree you a correct as she has fallen from her 2010 peak for various reasons (some beyond her control & maybe some bad choices on her part, or a mix of both). So based on that, in what we know is a VERY fickle industry, if her music isnt doing it for her...I further praise the initaive to diversify her portfolio to get another career path going which she to date has received wide praise. She has now enabled herself as a mutil platinum selling artist that has starred in a West End production = triple threat. She has also got involved in the Afrobeats scene too so she is trying to plant seeds in other areas, some of this things take time.

That is no mean feat for 25yr girl who has had to ride the ups & downs of a career in showbiz. I say cut the girl some slack because NONE of us know the full ins & out. IMO to come to conclusions without the full picture isn't exactly fair so thats why I always air on side of caution when displaying views on topics we dont fully know about. Ignorance is a awful trait to have.

I'm happy she is doing the BG and many others too. People have their views and thats all good but I prefer to just support this period and when its over, I hope there are plans in place to take on the next step, be it here or US etc. Time will tell as many say.

All I have done is try to play devil's advocate as constructive discussions is good as a basis for a good forum and REPEATEDLY ask relvant topics like

- who is seeing a show?
    - what (realistic) hopes do you have for the future after BG?

Relevant topics to try and change the agenda of this thread from a moan fest into a place for discussion. But it seems ademant that people here wanna bicker, it becomes very tiresome. If you cannot see where I'm coming with my reasoning with you from then lets just agree to disagree, shall we?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If not, then you way wish to consider your need to post and talk about her here but thats up to you really.

Wow. This is part 14 of The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread. Take a look back and see how many 100s (sometimes 1000s) of posts I have contributed to nearly every part of thread over the years, all out of support for AB.

You obviously have no idea, if you think I'm just here to bicker and moan. That's all I'm going to say. :)
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Convinced that guy is David lol!

Anyways realistic hopes? None really, you can never really predict where Alex's career is going to go. But I hope she gets top 20 success in the US at least. Just look at Tinashe, she's been trying for years and she's doing well with 2 On.
  • Options
    ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I think that guy is David also lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    Convinced that guy is David lol!

Anyways realistic hopes? None really, you can never really predict where Alex's career is going to go. But I hope she gets top 20 success in the US at least. Just look at Tinashe, she's been trying for years and she's doing well with 2 On.

That's what I want. She needs to drop the ballady/Whitney image and use the full scale of her skills. She needs to show off her performance/dancing ability, vocals and she can also use her acting ability in a story based music video, not Hollywood as I just don't think it's the right path for her.

She needs to release that album she recorded in 2013, get a major label deal which shouldn't be too hard given her credentials and then secure some features to add on to her album.

Leak details about the features on the album to the press to generate hype and try and get a feature on someone's record. Use Vinylz/Allen Ritter to try and possibly get on a track with Drake or maybe collaborate with a few rising artists to build her profile in the US.

She will need to undertake a Statewide promo tour of radio stations/festivals etc. with a single to build hype and get it building on radio before leading in to live TV performances later in the year.

America is her only hope at success at this point. The UK is not interested, that's quite clear now. She could be the new Mariah and Whitney all rolled into one and the UK still wouldn't care. That's just how the industry is unfortunately.

David if that's you, tell her to get a major label deal and move out to America because I don't think her UK career is sustainable in the long term, there are too many factors working against her, especially now with this Hackford guy working against her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoed wrote: »
    I think that guy is David also lol

I think he gave it away with the "triple threat" bit. :blush:

I don't mind if he's on here, I think he was treated quite horribly on Popjustice, especially by that annoying poster Breakfast whatever. But we have to be honest at the end of the day.

Whatever happens though, the UK is done with her. I REALLY hope she gets the message and moves back to America longterm. I really think she could do well there and be a consistent artist with the right plan in place. She's been saying she'll do it for years, but it never happens. I think it's time she bites the bullet and does it or I can't see her lasting much longer as a commercial artist/celebrity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow. This is part 14 of The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread. Take a look back and see how many 100s (sometimes 1000s) of posts I have contributed to nearly every part of thread over the years, all out of support for AB.

You obviously have no idea, if you think I'm just here to bicker and moan. That's all I'm going to say. :)

Why the need to cherry pick a sentence an run with it without actually digesting the context on which it is said LMAO

I think you have made some good points as have I but it's all about moving forward as in recent pages there have been various themes of constant bickering. Fantastic for you and respect for the amount of time spent in here but I repeat, it's about moving forward
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ye triple threat gave it away lmaoooo hi David, if you want to start fresh maybe you should unblock us all and actually be nice to ALL fans. Fair enough if they are rude but criticism should be taken on board, doesn't have to be replied to. Maybe take out advice for once cos we went the best for Alex but get made out to be bullies or enemies of Alex when we all love her!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why assume I'm David because I happen to agree with some of his points while attempting to integrate myself in the forum? He is vocal enough to join should he choose.

Anyway yeah hopefully there are plans for US going forward as the situation in the UK is complicated to say the least. That recent smear article by Wooton says it all as it was long established that it was always closing so it did smell of a plant article. But I agree, the last couple years have taught us is to hope for the best but not set expectations too high as nothing is ever set in stone unfortunately :-(

As mentioned earlier, I hope the lessons that need to be learned have been learned going forward
  • Options
    myoldmatemyoldmate Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Boxfresh also used the same phrase in post 6263, Perhaps he's David too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Sorry thought I'd just jump in and show y'all this clip in case you haven't seen it yet...http://youtu.be/H1ZjcGRXI7s

I see jojo at 1:10! I suppose it's good to see that when he is in the uk he is still involved with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VeAnnan wrote: »
    Sorry thought I'd just jump in and show y'all this clip in case you haven't seen it yet...http://youtu.be/H1ZjcGRXI7s

I see jojo at 1:10! I suppose it's good to see that when he is in the uk he is still involved with her.

At least Jojo is on the scene still, think that's when he came over for a few days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the need to cherry pick a sentence an run with it without actually digesting the context on which it is said LMAO

I think you have made some good points as have I but it's all about moving forward as in recent pages there have been various themes of constant bickering. Fantastic for you and respect for the amount of time spent in here but I repeat, it's about moving forward

I was just returning the favour there, sorry. But anyhow, I find arguing tiresome. I think it would be a shame if it was the cause of people leaving this thread. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was just returning the favour there, sorry. But anyhow, I find arguing tiresome. I think it would be a shame if it was the cause of people leaving this thread. :)

Agreed on the last part!

Wishing Alex the best going forward. Do you intend to see a show? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myoldmate wrote: »

LOL good spot :D
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm...perhaps we are all David:D

To be honest, when I read David call Alex a Triple Threat on twitter, I wondered if he had picked it up from me while reading this thread, cuz I'm pretty sure I said it first. Though that's pretty presumptious, as it's a fairly common entertainment term.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Firstly. WELCOME NATION!! Nice to see a new face.

And Nation is saying what me, Stargirl, Master Ozzy, Boxfresh and others have been saying, that does not make them David. LAWD Y'ALL. She's past her big commercial peak, but is trying. She needs to come harder musically, but she's trying. I'm here for a Tinashe style with some good vocals on her records, but she needs her own identity. She's been through things, and the fact she hasn't spoken about them is sad. They uplift people, she can even keep it general, she doesn't have to do a Dirty Laundry. Songs need to hit people emotionally.

I just hope she pushes with a good mixtape/EP, with hot production. She needs to look at people who are up and coming, and notice what they're doing. She's gone left field, and is not coming out with any quality music. She's got to stop that ish. She surely can afford to come out with a good EP. Underground producers would like good ideas, it can't be that they'd refuse to work with her, and work with lots of unknowns. She's known and that equals potential notoriety. She's got to have plans, ideas and lyrics. Career in music recovery 101. Basic.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Boxfresh wrote: »

Hmmm...perhaps we are all David:D

To be honest, when I read David call Alex a Triple Threat on twitter, I wondered if he had picked it up from me while reading this thread, cuz I'm pretty sure I said it first. Though that's pretty presumptious, as it's a fairly common entertainment term.

It really is.
  • Options
    GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    Lol. It's 90% about drama and 10% about Alex lately in here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree Greek Fan... it's not a good look for prospective new followers/fans that may wish to engage. Hence why I say it's time to draw a line and move forward together. Tweam, this forum, David, & any AB supporters out there that may not be on forums as much all want the same thing = a successful AB

So if we cannot on agree on how she goes about it, lets atleast respect eachother to know we all want the same thing and to be constructive/respectful on how we conduct our views & opinions. That can go a long way to reducng the divide

No bum kissing, sucking up ... just good old fashion respect for eachother.

We just have to accept that it's a not a "peak time" in Alexandra's career and adjust expectations accordingly... but thats not to say she aint trying, I love her ability to keep knocking at the door regardless of her situation. Lets hope there is a plan of action after the BG :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    Firstly. WELCOME NATION!! Nice to see a new face.

And Nation is saying what me, Stargirl, Master Ozzy, Boxfresh and others have been saying, that does not make them David. LAWD Y'ALL. She's past her big commercial peak, but is trying. She needs to come harder musically, but she's trying. I'm here for a Tinashe style with some good vocals on her records, but she needs her own identity. She's been through things, and the fact she hasn't spoken about them is sad. They uplift people, she can even keep it general, she doesn't have to do a Dirty Laundry. Songs need to hit people emotionally.

I just hope she pushes with a good mixtape/EP, with hot production. She needs to look at people who are up and coming, and notice what they're doing. She's gone left field, and is not coming out with any quality music. She's got to stop that ish. She surely can afford to come out with a good EP. Underground producers would like good ideas, it can't be that they'd refuse to work with her, and work with lots of unknowns. She's known and that equals potential notoriety. She's got to have plans, ideas and lyrics. Career in music recovery 101. Basic.

Thanks for the welcome :D

I agree with what you say completely :)
  • Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last two years has seemed like a complete waste of time imo. Making material such as Where Do Hearts Go and New Rules as well as The Bodyguard which for me doesn't make any difference to her career. She will never be a commercial artist in the UK again. Like what's happening with Pixie Lott, one the major British radio stations(capital,radio 1, kiss)don't support a single of yours, they rarely ever return to playing your songs. Without radio airplay, you won't have success so I don't get why Alex is wasting all this time in the UK when she could have been in the US promoting GOOD material and building a fanbase. She had her chance with a good team and a market that was crying out for a new female artist with a voice like hers but didn't take it.
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjh8 wrote: »
    The last two years has seemed like a complete waste of time imo. Making material such as Where Do Hearts Go and New Rules as well as The Bodyguard which for me doesn't make any difference to her career. She will never be a commercial artist in the UK again. Like what's happening with Pixie Lott, one the major British radio stations(capital,radio 1, kiss)don't support a single of yours, they rarely ever return to playing your songs. Without radio airplay, you won't have success so I don't get why Alex is wasting all this time in the UK when she could have been in the US promoting GOOD material and building a fanbase. She had her chance with a good team and a market that was crying out for a new female artist with a voice like hers but didn't take it.

I think she can be a commercial artist again in the UK, but it's entirely dependent on her making an impact in the US. I agree that if she thinks there's any hope of getting the pop career back on track by concentrating on the UK, then she's living in dreamland. But I don't (well I hope) think Alex is that deluded.

Agree with the point about Pixie Lott. And Pixie isn't actively disliked by people in the UK industry like Alex....but in general, UK popstars are not designed for longevity. American popstars, if they play their cards right can have 8-10 years at the top (if not more). Here it's more like 2-3 at most, before the industry and Radio move onto the next shiny new thing, and support dries up.

As for whether it's too late for her to make some noise in America....I don't think it is. But she does need too get a move on. Alex performing at the Chaka Khan tribute and getting all those good notices was a strong start to getting buzz in America, and I was hoping she'd push on from that. Even though The Bodyguard turned out way better than some people want to admit (and I was one of those who thought it might be a huge step backwards), I still hope she doesn't use it as a reason to stick in the UK.
  • Options
    ukaszenkoooukaszenkooo Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I think there's just too much drama in here.. I mean.. Not like it's our fault. We're just talking about Alex.. And all we can talk about is this drama..
    Bodyguard was a good topic, but we've talked it too many times - I have nothing else to say about it.. And nothing else is going on in her life at this moment.

I don't really care about Nation's real name.. You can be David, Jojo or even Alex herself, you have right to give us your opinion and to say what's on your mind. So that's good that you came here!

Well.. There's a chance for me to go and watch Bodyguard next month, But Im not sure if my parents will let me (but that's not important).. I wanted to ask you.. Is she really going out to fans after the show? Cause that would be a shame if I'd come all this way from Poland to London just to watch the show and no to see her after it.. Is she willing to meet all her fans after Bodyguard?