The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How? Is James Nesbitt going to have a 2nd child go missing?

Bit careless of him, guaranteed to attract the attention of the boys in blue.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    How? Is James Nesbitt going to have a 2nd child go missing?

A second series could obviously about another person going missing - it does not have to be the same story or actors.

Actually there are many ways you could have a second series that I can think of and I am not a writer.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see them calling it a day anytime soon or even at all (why would they when it's such a jolly?). I read a Mirror interview with them a couple of weeks back in which Ant said that it will be a very sad day when he doesn't celebrate his birthday in Oz, as it will mean ITV have cancelled the show.

I think IAC could run for quite a long time. ITV like it as it's a ratings banker and since ITV Studios make it, rather than an indepedent, all the profits go back to ITV. I'd be more worried about TXF, which is made by Syco, and Cowell hates not being the top dog.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think IAC could run for quite a long time. ITV like it as it's a ratings banker and since ITV Studios make it, rather than an indepedent, all the profits go back to ITV. I'd be more worried about TXF, which is made by Syco, and Cowell hates not being the top dog.

Exactly. I'm A Celebrity is still a hit and is an ITV Studios production. It won't be axed for a long time yet.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another scary episode of Remember Me. I think Tom is The Ghost and the Indian nanny/spirit is an entity created by Tom's spirit.
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Exactly. I'm A Celebrity is still a hit and is an ITV Studios production. It won't be axed for a long time yet.

Not at all sure why anyone is even contemplating its axing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Another scary episode of Remember Me. I think Tom is The Ghost and the Indian nanny/spirit is an entity created by Tom's spirit.

And Remember Me is perfect for dark Autumn nights. No way I'll watch it in the dark though! :eek: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »

It's crazy talk.
    Forum Member
    But that will be two dramas on BBC1 that have got 2nd series despite being formed as one series. The Missing and Happy Valley.

I suppose if they can create a good, believable 2nd series then why not. But again like with most things its all about ratings. Tbh The BBC have so much drama coming up they don't really need this.

Not sure how we know that those were formed as one series, it just seems to be an assumption. I dont see the difference at all with those and Broadchurch, which is also being brought back just for the ratings.
    Forum Member
    We don't know what will happen but based on how Miranda performed with the previous series compared to Mrs Brown's Boys I think the latter is stronger ratings wise.

Miranda series 3:
    Episode 1: 11.55m (Boxing Day 2012)
    Episode 2: 10.47m (New Years Day 2013)

Series 3 continued (Jan 2013): (9:00pm Monday - BBC1)
    Episode 3: 8.84m
    Episode 4: 8.88m
    Episode 5: 8.44m
    Episode 6: 8.70m

Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas specials:
    Christmas Special: 11.69m (Xmas Eve 2012)
    Christmas Special: 10.72m (Boxing Day 2012)

Mrs Brown's Boys Series 3 (Jan 2013): (9:30pm Monday - BBC1)
    Episode 1: 9.78m (New Years Day)
    Episode 2: 9.20m
    Episode 3: 9.66m
    Episode 4: 9.26m
    Episode 5: 9.46m
    Episode 6: 9.18m

I had not realised the Miranda specials had done quite as well as that actually.
    Still think MBB will win out though.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member

Most likely down to its critics who don't watch it or dont like it, or Ant and Dec would prefer it to see it fail. However its shown its just as robust as "Strictly Come Dancing" and "The Great British Bake Off" this autumn and a success for ITV.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because it's the ratings thread - it's all people do! Cancel this, cancel that... prophecies of doom abound.

XF/BGT/IAC are all more important to ITV now than they were twelve months ago. Yes, they're down, but that's nothing without context.

Corrie is down sharply, Downton is down (and likely to end sooner than any of the "big 3"). The whole ITV family share is down. Splash, Catchphrase and Off Their Rockers fell heavily in their second years. Takeaway held up better but didn't perform as well and seemed to lose some of that 2013 momentum that might have carried it into that top tier. It also remains a short run of less than 10 hours. Across the board, ITV entertainment series are down and I think the big 3 formats actually have some of the better YOY comparisons.

Dancing on Ice has been cancelled, no new high volume returnable hits (drama or entertainment) have been launched. There is no great hope on the horizon - Rising Star failing to even make it to air.

It's the pattern worldwide as well - broadcasters clinging to (declining) old brands in the absence of new hits.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miranda is hugely popular and the BBC must be gutted the show is ending. Having said all that Mrs Brown's Boys timeshifts more.
    I've seen some quotes somewhere that Miranda gave to This Morning where she seemed reluctant about it ending and hinted that she may do more episodes in the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can see it running for a VERY long time. . Had ITV decided to extend the run, change the presenters and put on fanzine shows after News at Ten, then I think IAC would have died years ago.
    Celebreality shows, barrring CBB and IAC, seem to have largely died on the big five. I think by having just two, it's probably made them more consistent as certain shows in the genre were terrible.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A second series could obviously about another person going missing - it does not have to be the same story or actors.
    Yep and the generic title of The Missing lends itself quite well to that.

Its less of a stretch to get a second series out of that than it is Happy Valley and Broadchurch.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

Actually there are many ways you could have a second series that I can think of and I am not a writer.

Now that I think about it, a second series of The Missing actually makes more sense than Broadchurch or Happy Valley. As you say there's many ways they could tell another story with the second series, and I think the cast has been less integral to the show's success than the casts of the other shows.

I'm not saying it isn't a strong cast, it is and the show is well acted, but I think it's the story that's drawing people in more than the characters. Whereas with Broadchurch a big part of its success was Tennant and Colman, and Happy Valley wouldn't have been the same without Sarah Lancashire's brilliant performance. The Missing could easily get away with telling a completely different story, as long as it's just as well-written as this one and they can attract another strong cast. I would probably go with a female lead, and have their sibling/parent go missing, so that people don't think it'll just be the same old story again.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Guardian Media reports there is to be a second series of The Missing

How ridiculous. Why can't a good well written drama be just left at that? If ever there was a one off this is it. A complete story told well. The only way to do a second series is a totally new cast.

I am also fed up of series being ended on a maybe back/maybe not. You have partially told stories/rushed endings. Resets if they come back. Paradise was trashed as a series by dreadful storylining and understandably folks turned off as series 2 progressed.
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    I've seen some quotes somewhere that Miranda gave to This Morning where she seemed reluctant about it ending and hinted that she may do more episodes in the future.

Well we dont know what is happening with these 2 but she could easily write specials whenever she wanted.
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    How ridiculous. Why can't a good well written drama be just left at that? If ever there was a one off this is it. A complete story told well. The only way to do a second series is a totally new cast.

I am also fed up of series being ended on a maybe back/maybe not. You have partially told stories/rushed endings. Resets if they come back. Paradise was trashed as a series by dreadful storylining and understandably folks turned off as series 2 progressed.

I would have said if ever there was a one off series it was Broadchurch actually !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had not realised the Miranda specials had done quite as well as that actually.
    Still think MBB will win out though.

Miranda's first episode of series 3 on Boxing Day did very well. A similar overnight to Mrs Brown's Boys on Christmas Eve but MBB added 2.91m in timeshift. I think repeats in the same week of the first few MBB episodes could have scuppered the timeshift. When MBB and Miranda moved to Mondays the overnights were close but once again MBB had massive timeshifts. Several Monday night episodes had overnights of over 6m and they all still cleared 9m. The last episode impressively went from 6.43m to 9.18m adding 2.75m.

Nothing is guaranteed, but with all of those ratings I think Mrs Brown's Boys will have the edge over Miranda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Most likely down to its critics who don't watch it or dont like it, or Ant and Dec would prefer it to see it fail. However its shown its just as robust as "Strictly Come Dancing" and "The Great British Bake Off" this autumn and a success for ITV.

No one will know exactly what Ant and Dec think of it, although the money must be very nice. Perhaps, as people compare them to Morecambe and Wise, they probably dream of being on Christmas Day on BBC One entertaining 26 million people, but they know that era has passed and are probably more than happy to present IAC, BGT and SNT. Apart from Red or Black, which they'd rather forget, everything else in recent years they've done has attracted at least 6 million viewers.
    The only way IAC would lose its way is if ITV mess the formula up or Ant and Dec leave. Somehow I think this show is displaying the sort of staying power and high ratings that nothing else can match.
    Yes it's not a show I watch, but fair play to IAC for achieving so much.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one will know exactly what Ant and Dec think of it, although the money must be very nice. Perhaps, as people compare them to Morecambe and Wise, they probably dream of being on Christmas Day on BBC One entertaining 26 million people, but they know that era has passed and are probably more than happy to present IAC, BGT and SNT. Apart from Red or Black, which they'd rather forget, everything else in recent years they've done has attracted at least 6 million viewers.
    The only way IAC would lose its way is if ITV mess the formula up or Ant and Dec leave. Somehow I think this show is displaying the sort of staying power and high ratings that nothing else can match.
    Yes it's not a show I watch, but fair play to IAC for achieving so much.

Oh yeah, pull the other one :D I think its finally time to admit how much of a fan you are of IAC. After all you can't stop talking about it.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Yeah Ken Stott certainly isn't the first to have complained about the referendum coverage on BBC Television and radio.
    Really surprised to see Stott ranting like that. Not very professional for an actor.

Not that I rate him as an actor. He's the same in every role I've seen.
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Talking of Ant and Dec and the BBC, I see that Danny Cohen has tweeted them tonight to say congrats on 'another superb presenting performance'. I would quite like to see them on BBC again one day, but I struggle to imagine what kind of shows they could be given to present there.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,474
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »

That's a surprise. All the other quotes I've seen seem quite conclusive. She certainly finds the show a real chore to write, hence the long gaps between episodes.

Incidentally, the BBC must feel cursed with sitcoms over the past decade. I'm not suggesting that they've done nearly enough to develop them - but every time they do manage to produce a big hit (and it usually takes a couple of series to build), they get to enjoy it for one short primetime BBC One series before it promptly ends! Gavin & Stacey went that way, Miranda is going and Mrs Brown appears limited to specials too.

They must really crave an even moderately successful (5m or so) returnable, probably team-written sitcom, which comes back year after year with full runs. Without such a show, it's almost impossible to re-establish sitcoms as a regular part of the year-round schedule. It's just a scattering of debuts, plus once-a-year festive treats from the big names.
This discussion has been closed.