Why is SKY so greedy and mean ?

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    not using a sky box though.

They can if they have shared the Sky boxes output to all the TV's in the house.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    not using a sky box though.

My amp distributes my Sky boxes as well as my laptop and PS3 to all screens in the house.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can if they have shared the Sky boxes output to all the TV's in the house.

that means every TV can only watch the same thing on that box though, so not exactly the same as "content sharing".

"better multiscreen" was the product that would allow proper content sharing, but that was canned.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    People join Sky for more channels and more choices not for Sky+Hd box which is years behind the other more advanced PVRs.

And years ahead in many other ways :D - you also seem to be deliberately giving the impression that ALL other PVR's do what you claim, which is entirely untrue - most of it is extremely rare. Perhaps you would care to explain what your wonderful device is?, and if it needed hacking to make it do all you claim? (as much seems to infringe copyright holders rights).

Sky PVR's do what they need to, are easy to work (VERY important, particularly for a company that has customer service), and do pretty well everything that the vast majority of the population want from a PVR.
    Forum Member
    that means every TV can only watch the same thing though, so not exactly the same as "content sharing".

"better multiscreen" was the product that would allow proper content sharing, but that was canned.

We have multi room, only me and the Mrs in the house, we can watch two different programme/recordings on any screen in the house. When the grandkids come over the amp allows three different sources to be viewed in any three rooms.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that means every TV can only watch the same thing on that box though, so not exactly the same as "content sharing".

He never said he had content sharing, he only said that he could watch all his recordings made on the Sky box on all his TV's, which he can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    We have multi room, only me and the Mrs in the house, we can watch two different programme/recordings on any screen in the house. When the grandkids come over the amp allows three different sources to be viewed in any three rooms.

you said all your recordings were in one place.
    well you have 2 sky boxes so your recordings could be in two places surely?

what you have set up is something anyone could do with any PVR, it's not something built-in to the sky box. the point fo the post you originally commented on was to suggest the sky box was missing something that others didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He never said he had content sharing, he only said that he could watch all his recordings made on the Sky box on all his TV's, which he can.

see previous response where he said all his recordings "were in one place".
    Forum Member
    you said all your recordings were in one place.
    well you have 2 sky boxes so your recordings could be in two places surely?

My recordings are in one place, they are on one of the boxes, my wife has the other box, both boxes are in the same room and hooked up to the same amp and are both distributed around the house to all screens.

what you have set up is something anyone could do with any PVR, it's not something built-in to the sky box. the point fo the post you originally commented on was to suggest the sky box was missing something that others didn't.

The post I replied to suggested every Sky customer would be interested in the features mentioned, I gave my reasons why I wouldn't.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sport I can understand because where else are you gonna get it. But movies ?? Give me a break, sky are so late with there premiere's . there almost golden oldies be the time they show them

Not according to their website:

The year’s biggest box office hits 12 months before most online subscription :confused:
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sport I can understand because where else are you gonna get it. But movies ?? Give me a break, sky are so late with there premiere's . there almost golden oldies be the time they show them

Blame the Studios and Distributers for that, they will not Sky show them until they say they can, of course there is Netflix and Lovefilm, but many with average BB speeds don't bother as it is a pain downloading!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    Blame the Studios and Distributers for that, they will not Sky show them until they say they can, of course there is Netflix and Lovefilm, but many with average BB speeds don't bother as it is a pain downloading!
    If there was only one supermarket in this country ,would you still say you were getting value for money ??? How can you say £60+ a month is anyway reasonable. Especially with all the adverts. If more of you had the guts to cancel sky, we might have a bit more choice in this country....

More choice, more money overall....no thankyou :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    so you just sit there and say Yes Mr Murdoch I will pay this extra to watch in Hd, so you can line your pockets with even more money

I never understand people, I really don't. I am sure that sky could sell you a turd, I really am.

Not sure why Sky don't do like the rest do. hide the charge so everyone pays it !
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there an STB on the market that can do everything as easily as a Sky stb does?
    Most people want a user friendly device. My wife not exactly on the ball when it comes to technology can operate it with ease. I believe the Sky+ stb to be an absolutely wonderful piece of kit, OK it could be improved but then so could many things.

I have a Panasonic CD player/recorder with a massive user manual with it, I have given up trying to use it to record anything off the TV as it has so many modes, buttons, sound effects, options and a pile of crud I would never ever use. The Sky STB does everything so very easily.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Is there an STB on the market that can do everything as easily as a Sky stb does?
    Most people want a user friendly device. My wife not exactly on the ball when it comes to technology can operate it with ease. I believe the Sky+ stb to be an absolutely wonderful piece of kit, OK it could be improved but then so could many things.

You could always think of things YOU would like to add :D, not do easy to think of things that would have mass appeal - Sky have done a lot of things I would never have thought of, yet are amazingly useful.

I have a Panasonic CD player/recorder with a massive user manual with it, I have given up trying to use it to record anything off the TV as it has so many modes, buttons, sound effects, options and a pile of crud I would never ever use.

I've always found Panasonic recorders difficult and complicated to use, with non-friendly remote controls - and I used one for a number of years to record Sky (before Sky+ became free).
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't, all my recordings are in one place and can be viewed on every screen in the home, I have no requirement to move/copy recordings from PVR to USB or vice versa, I have multi room 2x 1TB boxes so have no storage issues. I can't watch my recordings on my tablet or phone, but I can watch on demand on both devices if I wish which carries the programmes I'm interested in, but I prefer to watch them on a big screen with high quality audio.

Talk about chalk and cheese eh!

You have 2 boxes 2 subscriptions not all customers want 2 boxes or 2 subscriptions or distribute the picture via long cables to other rooms. We are talking about having only one PVR doing the entire job.

You need your sky box & amplifier on and have cables going from one room to another to achieve what I can achieve with only a USB stick. Also you can only watch what is on Sky box in other room but I can watch whatever I want in main room as others can watch whatever recording they want.

You say you can watch on demand on your tablet or phone but you need internet connection and put up with poor Sky Go picture quality but I can watch nice HD recording on my phone or tablet even without the need of internet connection.

So it is clear that Sky HD box can't provide the functions I listed above or compete with other more advanced PVRs.
    Forum Member
    Talk about chalk and cheese eh!

You have 2 boxes 2 subscriptions not all customers want 2 boxes or 2 subscriptions or distribute the picture via long cables to other rooms. We are talking about having only one PVR doing the entire job.
    You made a sweeping statement, "every Sky customer would be interested in all those features", it matters not how I achieve the end result, I would not be interested in a stb with USB copy function.
    You need your sky box & amplifier on and have cables going from one room to another to achieve what I can achieve with only a USB stick. Also you can only watch what is on Sky box in other room but I can watch whatever I want in main room as others can watch whatever recording they want.
    My amp has three multi zones, all HD, it allows three different sources in three different rooms, I'm not restricted to content from a single box, I can have a choice of music, movies, laptop, PS3 bluray/games - audio pass through can be selected for any zone, so the amp doesn't have to be switched on either, the amp can also be operated via an app.
    You say you can watch on demand on your tablet or phone but you need internet connection and put up with poor Sky Go picture quality but I can watch nice HD recording on my phone or tablet even without the need of internet connection.
    As I said, I could if I wish, but I prefer watching on the big screen with quality audio.
    So it is clear one Sky HD box can't provide the functions I listed above or compete with other more advanced PVRs.
    Not everyone has the same enthusiasm you have for these so called advanced features, they certainly wouldn't introduce additional flexibility to my system, I was copying to USB years ago, now my system is fully integrated in the home, all content is available when and where I like with a couple of button pushes.
  • racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I recently cancelled Sky multiroom and replaced it with 2 Freesat boxes.
    I haven't noticed much difference in functionality between Sky and Freesat boxes. They both record series and have an app for remote recording.
    I have saved £74 a month by switching to Freesat but don't have the same number of channels. I miss Sky Arts, Atlantic and, most of all, Sports.
    I'm happy to have left Sky but never had many complaints about their service. Cost was the major major factor.
    Forum Member

Forgot to add.......

Sky go extra allows you to download on demand to your phone/tablet to watch later without internet.

Picture quality is more than adequate on a phone, even a 10" tablet - OK for casual viewing in bed, a cafe or waiting room.
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Sept 2014 Ofcom Tech Tracker:-

Sky sports 35%
    Sky Movies 33%
    Both 18%
    HD 40%
    confidence level 95%.
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My freeview HD PVR allows me;

• to record 2 channels while using third one (providing one of those recorded channel is on the same mux)

• to copy all my recordings to external hard drive if I run out of recording space

• to play my recording over DLNA

• to play all my recorded programmes on my phone or tablet on the go

• to create folders and move recordings in and out of those folders

• to stick USB drive in and watch the media on USB stick or move recorded programmes from PVR to same USB stick

Only using HACKED software on a Humax Device that's been discontinued.

No current Humax UK product supports all those functions for SD and HD content. Then there's the biggest issue you can only access SHEEP TV baaa baaa... :p

The nearest current Humax device (minus the obvious IP infringement functionality) is the subscription system supplied by DirecTV in the USA... ;-)
  • Lt. DangLt. Dang Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't, all my recordings are in one place and can be viewed on every screen in the home, I have no requirement to move/copy recordings from PVR to USB or vice versa, I have multi room 2x 1TB boxes so have no storage issues. I can't watch my recordings on my tablet or phone, but I can watch on demand on both devices if I wish which carries the programmes I'm interested in, but I prefer to watch them on a big screen with high quality audio.
    With the huge proliferation in tablets and smartphones you can bet that there are lots of people with an interest in exactly those features even if you aren't. You also seem to be thinking solely about what you want to watch. In my home people can be viewing at least 2 different recordings and live TV from the same PVR on different devices or a TV. No need for multi-room or a subscription.
    Regards,

Lt. Dang
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is mean and pure greed of Sky but thanks to Sky's greed but many ex Sky customers have converted to Freesat and bought a Freesat PVR. Sky's greed has helped Freesat's grow.

Not only have they helped Freesat to grow but also lost many customers for good, as people invest in a new sub free box, they sell or get rid of old Sky HD box which can't be good for Sky.

If the recording worked properly for free channels after the end of subscription, some customers would in future just call and reactivate their account like Christmas time etc and maybe even stay a bit longer after that but thanks to Sky's greed some customers got rid of their boxes or invested in new Freesat PVR making it less attractive and more hassle to rejoin.

Freesat should thank Sky for their greed :D

Clearly you are not aware of other systems which more or less wipe the floor with Sky+

My freeview HD PVR allows me;

• to record 2 channels while using third one (providing one of those recorded channel is on the same mux)

• to copy all my recordings to external hard drive if I run out of recording space

• to play my recording over DLNA

• to play all my recorded programmes on my phone or tablet on the go

• to create folders and move recordings in and out of those folders

• to stick USB drive in and watch the media on USB stick or move recorded programmes from PVR to same USB stick

etc etc.

Don’t get me wrong Sky+ is good for what it is which is a very basic PVR but there are other PVRs out there, both for Freeview and Freesat, which are much more advanced PVRs than Sky.

Sky HD box never gives customers the flexibility and advanced functionality that other PVRs do.

Who makes this PVR? and more to the point, how much? seems a good bit of kit, not sure I would follow how to use some of the features .....but my son would ! :)
    Forum Member
    Lt. Dang wrote: »
    With the huge proliferation in tablets and smartphones you can bet that there are lots of people with an interest in exactly those features even if you aren't.
    There will be those who would be interested in some of those features, not every single Sky customer as the OP suggested.
    Lt. Dang wrote: »
    You also seem to be thinking solely about what you want to watch. In my home people can be viewing at least 2 different recordings and live TV from the same PVR on different devices or a TV. No need for multi-room or a subscription.
    Regards,

Lt. Dang

How am I only thinking of what I want to watch when my system is setup for multiple screens that can show different recordings, live TV, games, bluray, media streaming etc - grandkids can watch Nick Jr in one room, play PS3 game in another and watch a movie in a third.

You may be happy with Freesat and what the box does, but it's not for me, content is more important to me than box features, the features are inferior to my setup, regardless of my systems complexity.

Just shows you not one box is for everyone, users will adapt/configure their system so it tailors their needs, not someone else's.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And years ahead in many other ways :D - you also seem to be deliberately giving the impression that ALL other PVR's do what you claim, which is entirely untrue - most of it is extremely rare. Perhaps you would care to explain what your wonderful device is?, and if it needed hacking to make it do all you claim? (as much seems to infringe copyright holders rights).

Sky PVR's do what they need to, are easy to work (VERY important, particularly for a company that has customer service), and do pretty well everything that the vast majority of the population want from a PVR.

Please can you let us know the functions Sky box offers that are years ahead of others :D

Last time, which was a couple of days ago, when I compared my Sky HD box to other 2 Freeview HD PVRs, it was clear that both Panasonic & Humax PVR are years ahead of Sky HD.

Also I am not giving the impression that ALL other PVR's do what I claim at all. I have 2 PVRs and they are much more advanced than Sky HD box. As you ask the name of the wonderful devices I can confirm them;

First one is Panasonic DMR HW220 and the other Humax HDR Fox T2. They are in the same TV unit as Sky HD box when it comes to functions they both wipe the floor with Sky box.

Nothing to hack at all I have not touched Panasonic at all but just downloaded custom firmware which is freely available for Humax.

I’d like the way you lot dress Sky HD box as easy as if others are more difficult to operate!

The word you are looking for Sky HD box is not easy but just ‘basic’. The difference between Sky HD box and my other PVRs is one is very basic the others are very advanced PVR.

It is comical to suggest that Sky has to offer very basic PVR because the company has customer service. Why can’t Sky offer much more advanced PVR and still offer the customer service?

The vast majority of the population just gets what Sky offers them not what they want. How do you know that vast majority of Sky customers would not welcome the advanced functions I get from Freeview PVRs?

The customer gets just what Sky offers a poor basic PVR. Considering we pay Sky to use their PVR, one would expect the functions of that PVR can beat freeview PVRs easily.

My Humax PVR cost me just £99, about 1.5 months of Sky sub, and Panasonic £149.00 and they beat Sky HD box in every way.

Caxton wrote: »
    Is there an STB on the market that can do everything as easily as a Sky stb does?.

Yes there is. Just google the model numbers I put above and those PVRs can do everything as easily as Sky box and much more as well.

The only difference between them is that Sky HD box can't do what other boxes can.