Options

Twitter or Facebook

2»

Comments

• Options
    marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use both, for different things. Twitter is a source of info, news & fun stuff, and is a wider community. Facebook I use to keep up with friends & family, I keep my FB Friends to a small number and It's nice to swap what we're doing and photos.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Twitter. It's good for news and I prefer writing short posts or updates. It's also not as commercial as Facebook, which I hate with a passion.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I use Facebook to talk to my friends and play games sometimes. I use Twitter to follow some celebs, journalists and authors. I don't tweet much myself except when I enter competitions which require me to.
    I prefer Twitter.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both are simply platforms for comminication. What really matters is who you're connected with. If you've used either only to connect with people you actually know you'll have a good experience. If you've "friended" hundreds or thousands of complete strangers you'll see a lot of rubbish.

Just remember - next time you say that "Facebook is c**p" or "Twitter is c**p" what you're really saying is "I've connected with a lot of c**p people". And whose fault is that?
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An extended holiday away from BOTH of them sounds good to me!

Sorry to be a grump.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I think Twitter is a very good platform, it is the best news source in the world and is interesting in that you can find out live facts and opinion about anything.

Facebook is a much different system where you only get out what you put in. If you don't post on it, you'll quickly find it of little interest. I find it useful for when you're organising something with people all over the country/world. Other than that, I don't get involved in the day-to-day Facebook stuff.

I'm on Twitter all the time though.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,117
    Forum Member
    I find facebook way too intrusive. I don't like how it wants to know things like where you work, where you have worked, your hometown, where you live now......ect ect.
    Haven't they ever heard of identity theft?
    Plus it doesn't give you total control over what 'friends' see. It seems to decide on a whim to tell everyone on their timelines who you are friends with, what you have liked, commented on and been tagged in. You even get information about what friends of friends are doing. I'm so pleased that facebook wasn't around when I was in school.
    Nowadays I just use it to private message one or two people and to everyone else I pretend I don't use it anymore.

Twitter has adopted some of these annoying traits at certain times but I find it much more relaxed and non-committal. I don't feel so many eyes upon me and everything I'm doing.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    What annoys me about Facebook is how the timeline works. I know it has 'latest' and 'top stories', but sometimes it appears to put things in random order just to wind you up!
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitter and Facebook can be useful, especially for bands and singers. They can post news, tour dates, pictures, links, etc. in a few seconds and without too much trouble or hassle. It's a pretty cool way for fans to connect with their favourite artists. People can also keep in touch with family and friends who live abroad. Saying that, I haven't got a Twitter or Facebook account. If a person doesn't have my contact number or email address, then there's probably a reason for that.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I think Twitter is a very good platform, it is the best news source in the world and is interesting in that you can find out live facts and opinion about anything.

Facebook is a much different system where you only get out what you put in. If you don't post on it, you'll quickly find it of little interest. I find it useful for when you're organising something with people all over the country/world. Other than that, I don't get involved in the day-to-day Facebook stuff.

I'm on Twitter all the time though.

I don't find that at all, in fact I find the opposite to be true. I'm on both Facebook and Twitter but rarely post on either and soon got very bored of Twitter. But I use Facebook mainly to read posts in groups I'm in, which is always entertaining even when I don't post myself, and to follow news pages, and pages of things that interest me, whether that's famous people, bands or hobbies. There's always plenty to read without having to post.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm an expat, so I kind of use Facebook as my window home. It's a quick and convenient platform for keeping up to date with the boring day to day of my friends and family- I'm one of those rare creatures who actually enjoys seeing holiday pictures and reading baby updates from people I care about. Among other things, I can also easily stay current with my (formerly) local news and sports teams.

I haven't gravitated to Twitter yet, but never say never.