Secret Santa Gift Ideas

Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been roped into doing not one but two of these fiendish social niceties. One of them is among work colleagues in my office (£5); the other is with a group of friends who meet up each week to do a pub quiz (£10).

The latter is sorted, but I'm stuck for what to get my work colleague. I don't know anything about her and I've never spoken to her, except that I know she is a 20-something female. For a fiver, I want something functional and useful, but not creepy or tacky. My top five choices at the minute are (in no particular order):

Giant Thorntons hollow chocolate Santa
Wall clock
Desk ornament (Newton's cradle/desk lamp/Galileo thermometer)
A pen and notebook
A calendar
An accessory for a smartphone (which I assume she probably has).

I have seen all of the above in various stores for a up to £5 each. I don't want to give it too much thought but I'm failing at that. Any other suggestions or anyone agrees with some of the above examples? Thanks guys.

Comments

• Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Chocolate or toiletries are best I think!
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't overthink it, people don't have high expectations from a secret Santa exchange where the budget is £5.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    As long as she's not teetotal, a bottle of wine.
  • ICUDOICUDO Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    McVities Victoria Biscuit Selection?
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    I've been roped into doing not one but two of these fiendish social niceties.

You do realise that they're not mandatory, don't you? Just remember what the kids of Grange Hill High School taught us, "just say no".
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A photo album perhaps?
    Something she can put pictures in in remembrance of the season?
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are nice. I've just bought them myself for a Secret Santa.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    smellies and chocolate..scented candles,snuggly socks..body cream sets..

just a few ideas :)
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should mention that I have looked at similar threads from years gone by, but decided to start a new thread in the hope that there would be fewer smutty suggestions and ideas of an overtly sexual connotation. Besides, attitudes towards what makes a good gift change from year to year.

Toiletries are a very good idea, as are those wine charms off Amazon. Ideally though, it would be something that implies "I respect you as an acquaintance who happens to work on the same floor as me - albeit in a different department. Here is something smart and functional that isn't a complete waste of money"...instead of "Yo, check out what I got you thanks to reading through your Facebook profile. If you want my number, I'll happily break the rules and reveal who your secret Santa is!!"

See? Overthinking it again. I wish I had an "Off" switch, like some of those things I suggested earlier.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    We do a Christmas Eve box PJ's Vidio, hot chocolate and sweats, it is great the children love it
    Forum Member
    the £10 pressie could be just a cheap mobile phone ..you can get cheap ones under tenner nowadays , just basic one as a spare ? nice for a friend ( not a work colleague mind lol)
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Buy lube, lube is always useful.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Buy lube, lube is always useful.

To grease the bicycle chain:D
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocolate santa.. Just check she's not diabetic ;)
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A crotchless thong with HO, ho, Ho on the front is a useful gift.:D
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A packet of 10 cigarettes and 4 cans of Stella (£10)

A couple of scratch cards (£5)
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bottle of perfume or after shave out of Lidl. I'm not joking!
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I don't know anything about her and I've never spoken to her, except that I know she is a 20-something female. "
    Maybe the place to start would be talking to someone who DOES know a bit about her, or at least taking a non-creepy look around her work area cos she might have pictures of cats or something else you can apply to the £5 limit. :)
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I've just done the £10 one for the office. I made up a Poundland hamper.

Box of Maltesers
    Box of Toffifee
    Toblerone
    Box of Dairy Milk
    Box of Reeces Pieces
    Box of Wonka Gobstoppers
    + Few bags and bars of branded others.

All individually wrapped.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody wants a work based, functional secret Santa present. Bottle of wine it is.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    When did all this secret santa $h1t start????...I bet it's an american load of crap.
    Forum Member
    does she like frothie coffee ? Get them a battery whisk and they can make their own..Great gadget i got one from B&M store , cheap and easy to use :p
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    When did all this secret santa $h1t start????...I bet it's an american load of crap.

Yeah, people having fun and a bit of festive cheer with their colleagues.

Absolutely disgusts me :kitty:
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're doing a Secret Santa where I work but our price is £10 making it a bit easier.

I think toiletries are a bit boring personally and show no thought. I would ask someone who knows her what she is interested in - I know it's a bit less secret that way but at least you can get something she might like (e.g. I know last year someone got chocolates and they are diabetic)

I like the idea of a Poundland "hamper" as posted above - might use that next year depending on who I draw out of the hat!