Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    Dissapointed once again at our performance. how long are we going to keep making excuses ?

We have no shape, no passion, and bassically no idea at the moment.

im my mind we need a new keeper. center half, attacking midfielder and a strike.
    But can I trust BR with the funds...I'm starting to think NO

I don't feel it has to be that drastic, the problem for the likes of Stevie, Lallana, Hendo and Coutinho is there isn't any movement ahead of them.

All they can do is pass sideways and backwards, which slows our tempo. There's no defending from the front, because our strikers so far aren't pressing high up the pitch.

If there was movement up top, I feel our midfielders would be able to create, and we'd actually score some goals.

For me, I'd like to see Toure and Sakho as our centrebacks, with Lucas sitting in front of them.
    I'd push Sterling up top, alongside Lambert or Borini.

Henderson and Gerrard in front of Lucas.

The full backs would have to provide the width. I'd go with Manquillo and Moreno.

Sterling would buzz around up top, and Lallana/Coutinho could fill in too.
  • Options
    South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »
    Yes we played them in the fifth round in 1995, beat them 2-0 at Selhurst Park after a 1-1 draw at Anfield.

AFC Wimbledon are effectively a different club now.

We will probably still lose. :o

:D
  • Options
    South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    Basel are comfortably top of their league with a decent away record and tonight will not be an easy game.

I back us to win, hopefully putting the game to bed early on and not leaving it till late, but we will have to play a lot better than we have played recently.

I predict lots of swearing and shredded nerves in front of my TV.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping for a good result tonight; anything that takes us through will do. It'd be disappointing, maybe a little embarrassing not to make it through. If getting to the CL was about raising the profile of the club again, then we have to be in the knock-out stages. Hopefully we do make it and when the next round comes about in a few eek time our team will be in better shape to compete.

As for tonight's team? I think Gerrard will play, possibly deeper in place of Lucas; Toure could be rested/kept fit for OT with Lovren coming in; I think Allen will get a game in midfield. It's a tricky call with Lambert, naturally you want him in the team leading a line, but I doubt he was ever expected to be playing three games a week. As with Toure, I think there might be a prospect of him being rested/protected for the weekend at OT, but that would be taking a risk in a big game.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    Basel are comfortably top of their league with a decent away record and tonight will not be an easy game.

I back us to win, hopefully putting the game to bed early on and not leaving it till late, but we will have to play a lot better than we have played recently.

I predict lots of swearing and shredded nerves in front of my TV.

No, I expect an uncomfortable night. I expect them to get plenty behind the ball, hit on the counter-attack and make life difficult at set-pieces.
  • Options
    dgsmithdgsmith Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool's XI: Mignolet, Johnson, Enrique, Lovren, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard , Sterling, Lambert.

Substitutes: Jones, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toure being injured is a blow. Don't trust Lovren at all and would rather see Sakho in the side.

Think it's a negative side. Not much pace in the side at all. midfield extremely one paced.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Assuming that's a 4-4-2 diamond, I'm not brimming with confidence.

Basel (well, Serey Die, single-handedly) won the midfield battle the last time we met though so it's not a huge surprise. They're apparently going for a 3-5-2 this time though so I hope we don't get too exposed in wide areas.
  • Options
    Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 12,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh great now ITV appear to have a drunk cameraman.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool faced Basel back in 2002 with similar circumstances (needing a win to qualify). On that occasion, Liverpool fought back from 3-0 down to 3-3, but couldn't get the win. The big difference tonight is Liverpool are at home.

Fail to win tonight and it could be a long wait for Champions League football to return to Anfield.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a frenetic start, like a one off knockout cup tie already:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this was last spring we'd be two up by now through the SAS:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very well worked goal but we are taking too many risks in our own half.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets pass are way out from another terrible pass by Mignolet
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Basle are a very decent side they are always hugely underrated bt the uk media
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going out in third and into the EL would be a worse fate than being totally out of Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why aren't our defenders and keeper talking/ barking orders at each other.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is poor looking like more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Going out in third and into the EL would be a worse fate than being totally out of Europe.

But the europa league is a route back into the champions league for next season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    But the europa league is a route back into the champions league for next season

I think the demands of going all the way to win it would see us relegated from the PL:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're playing a good team but the fact a Swiss club looks like they want to win a key CL game more than we do at Anfield is disgusting.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    We look very poor. It's hard to see how we can possibly win this now unless we get a huge slice of luck or Sterling produces some serious magic. And he's not really looked the part for a while now. We're not even set up to cause Basel problems. I mean, Henderson out on the left?

Rodgers has got nearly £70m of his recent summer signings on the bench but not one of them is capable of turning this game around. It's a sad state. Someone out there step up, please. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the demands of going all the way to win it would see us relegated from the PL:D

The Sunday league games factor always seems to put more pressure on all teams to get a result after most others have played I suppose
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocking performance. No cohesion, no pace, no creativity.

Basle look like a threat every time they go forward.
This discussion has been closed.