Options

If we woke up tomorrow with no knowledge of any religion, would the world be better ?

JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
Forum Member
As the title says : if the human race woke up tomorrow and there was no knowledge of any religion would the world be a better place. Im undecided.

Yes, No ?

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    A new religion would soon fill that particular hole, such is the nature of man.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Next week would be pretty shit.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd wake up wondering what the hell that tree in my living room is about!
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just what we need - another religion thread.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add politics to the list and people would have to think for themselves for a while
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Just what we need - another religion thread.

The desperation by some to crowbar in another religious thread with some ridiculously convoluted question is rather silly.

What next?

"If you fell over, hit your head and suddenly became religious, would you want to own a pony?"
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The desperation by some to crowbar in another religious thread with some ridiculously convoluted question is rather silly.

What next?

"If you fell over, hit your head and suddenly became religious, would you want to own a pony?"

:D:o:D:D:D
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think it would be.

Some people will always want power and that means other people being crushed and to be made subservient.

There are and always will be evil and dangerous individuals with or without religion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justmadeit wrote: »
    As the title says : if the human race woke up tomorrow
    People in Samoa would wake up religion-free first. Then it would spread westwards as daylight moved across the globe.
    By the time the last bits of the USA had woken up with spiritual amnesia, most of the rest of the world will have Googled the strange references on their tv news and cable channels, and found out about it all over again.

Virtually nobody on DS will have noticed. 40% will later consider it a leftie plot, 35% a fascist gaffe. The rest won't have been affected, as they never sleep.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God might get a chance to get a word in.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting sick of all this "religion is the root of all evil" crap. Do you want a biblical lesson? People do evil because they choose to.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if we all moderate Christians.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It would be great if we all moderate Christians.

I'm all for moderating any religion. ****ing a choirboy get you a years suspension, blow up a school and it's a permaban.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    I'm all for moderating any religion. ****ing a choirboy get you a years suspension, blow up a school and it's a permaban.

Why the reference to crimes?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting sick of all this "religion is the root of all evil" crap. Do you want a biblical lesson? People do evil because they choose to.
    But some religions are EVIL :o
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justmadeit wrote: »
    As the title says : if the human race woke up tomorrow and there was no knowledge of any religion would the world be a better place. Im undecided.

Yes, No ?

I don't think religion itself a bad thing. The problem is when religion gets used to spread hatred/dislike/prejudice.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    A new religion would soon fill that particular hole, such is the nature of man.

I suspect your right. Religion is a useful tool for many thinks in the human condition. Some good, same bad, some mad and to take that away would leave a void.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd immediately go and take vacant possession of the big stone house on the corner of the main road....lots of parking for the bikes inside!

And a nice high bit down one side I could mount the flatscreen on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    But some religions are EVIL :o

Okay, I agree, there is that one religion that has a habit of slaughtering children, suicide bombing innocent people, and repressing women, not to mention stoning gay people. But except that religion, which also crucifies people and buries them alive, others are basically peaceful. Or purport to be.

Anyway, without religion people are violent, so religion is not to blame for all the world's ills.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

Classic! And psychologically sound theory as far as I can tell!
  • Options
    Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the religion.

Religions from the desert such as islam, christianity and judaism would def be no loss to humanity if they were to disappear tomorrow.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

Excellent article. I'm consciously an atheist. Evolution isn't right about superstition, it's pragmatic.