Ashes To Ashes Series 3 Speculation Thread (spoilers in tags)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It could be as little as 6 weeks away - the debut of the final series of Ashes To Ashes! And with so much still to discover and uncover, it's time to get speculating!!
There's the ending of Series 2 to resolve, the question of how Alex and Gene's relationship will/should develop, and of course the big finale to chew our collective nails over...

I'll start. This morning I dug out an old copy of SFX from May last year, which contains an interesting feature on Ashes. When asked how he felt about the 'big ending', PG replied:
I don't know. It's going to be interesting to see if we can carry it off. It's certainly larger than life.
And KH, when asked if she and the rest of the cast had been working on their own theories re. the final resolution, had this to say:
Yeah... and we were all wrong!

Let the discussion commence! :D

Comments

• Ms BrightsideMs Brightside Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also heard they're doing a sport relief special which should be good :)
    I'm sort of looking forward to the big ending and finally finding out who/what Gene Hunt really is but I sort of
    don't want to know if it's a crap ending and it ruins Life on Mars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm just going to say...I...can't....ruddy...well...WAIT!

Well, no, I can't wait for the start of s3, I CAN wait for the end :cry: I'm sure I'll cry buckets over the 8 eps, but at the same time, it'll be nice to find an end to the whole saga. I'm sure it'll be brilliant, there's a current rumour of Ashes starting on the 12th April! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just going to say...I...can't....ruddy...well...WAIT!

there's a current rumour of Ashes starting on the 12th April! :D

Hi Lolly! I hear you - I've been quietly getting on with other stuff for months now, but I knew that as soon as spring rolled around (well, we're practically there!) I'd feel the old Ashes-related adrenalin returning.

Where did the 12th April rumour come from? I hope it's true!
    Forum Member
    Hi Lolly! I hear you - I've been quietly getting on with other stuff for months now, but I knew that as soon as spring rolled around (well, we're practically there!) I'd feel the old Ashes-related adrenalin returning.

Where did the 12th April rumour come from? I hope it's true!

The facebook page, with a comment saying " went on cathode ray tube and found some anonylous person had left this: On Feb 17 Anonymous commented on ashes to ashes series 3 filming update: “Ashes to ashes is back on our screens on 12th april 2010 9pm”"
    It's just anon so it could be just a rumour, nice to believe it though...although I'm gutted it's a Monday!!!!!!!! :eek: I babysit and they tend to get back at about ten to ten...I'll ask them to stay longer at the pub so I can sob through Ashes to the end :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press release on the BBC Press Office website makes for mouth-watering reading!

Does anyone else who's read it think:
    that the 'young policeman' haunting Alex could be a young Gene? Ergo, he's real?!

So, the week of the 20th March, eh? The 23rd is looking almost certain now, I'd say! :D
    Forum Member
    The press release on the BBC Press Office website makes for mouth-watering reading!

Does anyone else who's read it think:
    that the 'young policeman' haunting Alex could be a young Gene? Ergo, he's real?!

So, the week of the 20th March, eh? The 23rd is looking almost certain now, I'd say! :D

I thought it might be
    Martin Summers>
    Although I hope it isn't...
    Just because I don't think Alex would immediately forget what had happened...

And I was shocked to find out
    Shaz and Chris split up! I was hoping for an Ashes wedding!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was speculating to myself last night with no one to throw ideas at and it was soo frustrating so im glad this thread has started.

What I was thinking is that we all assume Sam/Alex were in a coma and came 'back in time/fake world)

What if they turned it on its head and in the final episode you find that Gene Hunt has actually been in a Coma all along and its his fantasy rather then Alex/Sam.

God I cant wait to find out what it is.... I just hope they dont spoil it with summat like....yeah Gene Hunt is actually GOD and he's judging you to see wether you should live or die.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if they turned it on its head and in the final episode you find that Gene Hunt has actually been in a Coma all along and its his fantasy rather then Alex/Sam.

God I cant wait to find out what it is.... I just hope they dont spoil it with summat like....yeah Gene Hunt is actually GOD and he's judging you to see wether you should live or die.

I think the 'it's actually Gene's coma' scenario is too obvious - I hope so, anyway! I think it would be an awful betrayal to discover that Sam and Alex were just constructs. Honestly, I don't think Matt and Ashley would do that to us.

But neither do I think that Gene is God - he's far too earthy and imperfect, for a start!

Whatever the answer is, I hope to goodness the BBC don't spoil the last episode for us by revealing too much in their weekly synopsis. They're often quite dreadful at keeping quiet! I don't mind reading up on episodes 1-7 beforehand, but I'll be keeping well away from likely spoiler sites in the lead-up to episode 8!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know how you feel about the beeb, I've just read the BBC promo for the return of AtA expecting a simple 'returns on xx with a fab episode' but instead got the entire episode synopsis including a spoiler about what happens to Alex after how they left it in S2!!
  • mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most bizarre thing would be if Alex and Sam were somehow the same person. Anyway can't wait. All good things have to come to an end
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as long as they don't give it the same awful cop out ending that life on mars USA had
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    as long as they don't give it the same awful cop out ending that life on mars USA had

Highly unlikely, as Matthew Graham and Ashley Pharoah totally disowned that ending at the time!

Now, folks, do you want the good news or the bad news? :(

Good news: Ian Wylie has seen episode 1 and has all sorts of (not TOO spoilerish) things to say about it! Here's the link:
    http://lifeofwylie.com/2010/03/05/ashes-to-ashes-3-exclusive-first-look/

Bad, bad, BAD news: the *BEEP* BBC has taken Ashes S3 OUT of the schedules for the week of 23rd March - to be 'shown at a later date'.
    Altogether now: NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    I'm worried about what we're going to find about Gene...maybe he had something more to do with Sam's death than we first thought? Could be the reason Sam's pinned up on the wall?

I just hope this series isn't going too dark, sounds it though! Not too, but darker than the previous two :o

Still, utterly upset that the Beeb's taken it down :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry too much about Gene, Lolly! It's always been made very clear that he's the Sheriff - a 'deputy to the law', as he told Sam in LoM. No, whatever the mystery is, I doubt that it's got anything to do with corruption. In any case, they've been there and done that in both LoM and Ashes.

I imagine that what Alex will end up investigating is the connection between Gene, Sam and herself. And I envisage Jim Keats as a more benign version of Frank Morgan.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about all of this, but guessing is all part of the fun!

Oh, and keep in mind that Matt and Ashley like HAPPY endings!! ;)
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and keep in mind that Matt and Ashley like HAPPY endings!! ;)

................and so do I:cool::D
    Forum Member
    And me! :)
  • martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattyl149 wrote: »
    The most bizarre thing would be if Alex and Sam were somehow the same person.

That would be interesting and mind blowing... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After reading Ian Wylie's blog, i have an idea:
    When speaking of a new character called Jim Keats, apparently,
    "He appears to know a great deal about Gene, Sam and Alex and is certain to be pivotal over the course of the final eight episodes."

Since he knows about Sam, perhaps he investigated Sam's death? Just a thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting theory, Ms Brightside! It seems likely, as I can't think what else could link all the characters.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Presumably you’ve all read this amazing Digital Spy interview with Matthew Graham from December:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s49/ashestoashes/tubetalk/a190547/2010-tv-preview-ashes-to-ashes-3.html

When I read it, I literally* had an orgasm. (*Not literally.)

For me, the highlights of this interview are:

• “There will be no other spinoff. This is it, this is the end.”
    • “We're going to finally explain the mythology we've created. And in theory, there will be no mystery left."
    • “[The ending] will also hopefully explain the ending of Life On Mars as well”
    • “By the time you get halfway through series three of Ashes To Ashes, you will actually feel like you're watching series five of Life On Mars”
    • “ The idea was to get darker with each series: series one would be quite frothy and iconically '80s, then series two we would peel back the layers and get a bit darker, series three we would get right down to the nitty gritty.”

And, most exciting of all…
    Life On Mars character(s) will be appearing in series 3.

I don’t know about you, but to me this sounds like it’s going to be incredible. Like many, I loved the ending to Life on Mars, but was frustrated by how open they left it. The main reason I watched Ashes To Ashes was to see if I could glean some information about what really happened to Sam. It seems we might finally get a conclusive answer to that question this year.

This mystery has done my head in for the last 4 years (seems like much longer now), and in a way I haven’t really been able to enjoy the episodes properly because the episodic stories have always been overshadowed by the bigger puzzle. I think once I know what’s really going on, I’ll probably be able to go back and enjoy the individual episodes more.

Unless of course the big ending sucks so much that it taints the entire series! For example, I found the final episode of Quantum Leap so depressing — so devoid of optimism and good spirit — it actually put me off re-watching old episodes! Although given how well the writers handled the end of Life on Mars, I have a feeling they will leave us feeling good about this show at the end, even if it’s an emotional ending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that my only big fear is that Gene et al will be revealed as god-like figures. I don't want Gene to be a god (let alone THE God!) - I love the fact that he's human and flawed!
    I'm fascinated by the fact that not one of the actors guessed the truth about what's really going on. When it comes, the final reveal is hopefully going to be stunningly inventive... or a big let-down after all the hype! :(:confused:
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I remember the "Life on Mars" character in Ashes series 2 - it turned out to be a total non entity....We at least need to see Annie...and Sam in the finally would be just brilliant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be good but unlikely me thinks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. If JS had been on the Ashes set, it would surely have leaked! Besides, I'm pretty sure JS considered Sam's story finished with the ending of LoM.
    Annie won't appear - didn't the writers say they thought it would be too depressing for the audience, to see Annie without Sam?
    No, I think any LoM characters to appear in Ashes S3 will turn out to be relatively minor ones.
    Litton's the name I've heard bandied around!
    Forum Member
    Forward by Ashley Pharaoh, SPOILERS :
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/03_march/10/ashes3.shtml
    "...vicious prison riot that ends in the death of one of our team"
    Looks like we were right about a funeral :(
This discussion has been closed.