Richard Briers - RIP

Comments

• HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad day. I was talking about him on Friday.

RIP
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw. I shall raise a glass of peapod burgundy to him tonight.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaahh sad news. :(

I loved him in The Good Life and Ever Decreasing Circles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Aww no. I loved watching him on Ever Decreasing Circles. He also narrated that kids show 'Orm and Cheep'. I only just read that article about him and Prunella Scales. He didn't look well in the picture, but I didn't think he'd pass away so soon:(

I remember that show - he was great getting so frustrated with neighbour Paul! :D

Don't forget he was in Monarch of the Glen as well.

Wasn't born when Good Life was first on, though obviously I've seen it many times since. Margot kind of steals the show, but then it's a good actor who can also be a foil to others - Margot wouldn't be as funny without Tom to infuriate her, just as Paul was essential to RB's Martin.

Sad news, a tv comedy great. :cry:
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His serious acting was less well known but apparently on stage he was a marvel. And does anybody remember him playing a really sickeningly sleazy, oily, creepy Oxford don in an episode of Inspector Morse years ago? He was great in that - absolutely foul :)
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His serious acting was less well known but apparently on stage he was a marvel. And does anybody remember him playing a really sickeningly sleazy, oily, creepy Oxford don in an episode of Inspector Morse years ago? He was great in that - absolutely foul :)

I'd forgotten that. He was skin-crawlingly repellent in Morse - light years away from Tom Good.
  • cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no. Another great actor has passed away.

He was brilliant in the Good Life and Monarch of the Glen.

He will be sadly missed.:(
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    That's a shame :( Loved the drama he did as well as the comedy.

Yes it is; thought he was a great straight actor.
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His voice was my favourite voice, the sound of the 70's and very comforting.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Aww, no! I was only watching him today - EDC.
    A massive, sad loss. RIP.:(

Such a loss.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I'd forgotten that. He was skin-crawlingly repellent in Morse - light years away from Tom Good.

And the Vicar with a naughty secret in Midsomer....:)
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP

He had a Good Life.
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As i said in the other RB thread in TV shows:

RIP ! You made us laugh !

Liked him in The Good Life !

Will be missed :(
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member
    RIP
    Last thing I saw him in was New Tricks when he nearly killed Jack with his soup

Also just heard Derek Batey of Mr and Mrs fame has also died

Hope there's not going to be a 3rd......
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just realised why 5Live are going so big on this. Its because there's a strike and it's a piss-easy story. They're just phoning up anyone who ever met him. :|
  • jaceylaceyjaceylacey Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww he was one of our best actors. :(

My favourite play he was in...is "If you see god tell him"

I practically laughed all the way through.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad... we just watched the first series of The Good Life again last week for the first time in YEARS. Still brilliant.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was 79!

Is that the message you wanted to put across: Smoke for 50 years and you'll live till 79!
    I got the impression it was a crude attempt at getting a swipe in at smokers.....but it's gone down like a lead balloon hasn't it?

Richard Briers was an excellent actor and I will always remember him for his part in The Good Life.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know whilst I really liked the Good Life I also love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQCi67CQHXY

I dont think Rik and Ade totally hated the show. they quite often made comments about Felicity.

It was a highly articualte outburst I only hope they wernt watching.
  • tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww. :(

He always came across as such a lovely man.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww. :(

He always came across as such a lovely man.

Except when he was the eeeeevil Chief Caretaker in Dr Who. (But then Bonnie Langford was one of the goodies at the time, so I was pretty much on his side anyway).
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Richard Briers.............a fine actor and always seemed like a jolly decent chap

To be honest I didn't watch most of the things he was in apart from The Good life

But I remember a series he did that didn't catch on and was cancelled where he played a bit of a simple soul who believed everything that people told him. The joke was that he believed everything in the adverts and would repeat advertising slogans as fact in any situation. Although it was a comedy there was a dark edge to it
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    RIP Richard Briers.............a fine actor and always seemed like a jolly decent chap

To be honest I didn't watch most of the things he was in apart from The Good life

But I remember a series he did that didn't catch on and was cancelled where he played a bit of a simple soul who believed everything that people told him. The joke was that he believed everything in the adverts and would repeat advertising slogans as fact in any situation. Although it was a comedy there was a dark edge to it

That was If You See God Tell Him. Written by One foot In The Grave writer David Renwick and also stared the man who ranted about The Good Life Adrian Edmondson.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Briers had such a warm, friendly face. I'll remember him fondly as eco warrior Tom Good.

Long live big tatty jumpers.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    That was If You See God Tell Him. Written by One foot In The Grave writer David Renwick and also stared the man who ranted about The Good Life Adrian Edmondson.

thanks.........I'd forgotten what it was called

Just looked it up on wiki and it seems it was even darker than I recall............ a savage indictment of the advertising industry

Only 4 episodes made and the series has never been repeated