Options

Please help _ Annoying Media player problem

lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Out of the blue yesterday, all media defaulted to use DAPlayer to start up for some bizzare reason, rather than VLC as normal. I barely use DAP now as the makers gave up support for it some time ago.
I changed the default back to VLC but this made no difference, everything was still using DAP, I decided to delete DAP and now all media has no association, but I still have set it every single time ( I did check the tick box btw)
Avira and malware scans were run (albeit not from safe mode) and found nothing.
Nothing new was installed recently and from what I can see nothing else is wrong. Any ideas? (Windows 7 btw)

TIA

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    easiest is to do a system restore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - should have said. the only restore point is from earlier today. There was one from the 20th of last month but its corrupt. I have a feeling slim cleaner may have erased them when i ran it earlier, but not sure lol.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    probably. you really need to make sure you check the options in these cleaner programs.

vl has an option to manage associations at the bottom of the main preference screen.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was one from the 20th of last month but its corrupt. I have a feeling slim cleaner may have erased them when i ran it earlier, but not sure lol.

There are some glowing reviews of Slim Cleaner (not cheap IMHO) but here's one that thinks differently and warns of pitfalls
    http://askbobrankin.com/will_slimcleaner_optimize_your_pc.html
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be tempted to uninstall vlc (including preferences) then reinstall it and let it set all the associations
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will try that when I get back home. Checked vlcs pref page before I left and all the right ones were ticked?????
    With regards to slim cleaner, I much prefer it to ccleaner. I know I have to be alot more careful with it, I never thought about restore points tbh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to uninstall vlc (including preferences) then reinstall it and let it set all the associations

Just reinstalled VLC and all SEEMS tobe fine now. cheers.

Now to set Slimcleaner not to delete restore points.....