Radio One snub Lady Gaga for the first time.

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
not play listing her new song GUY.
thoughts?

without being biased, its still a perfectly reasonable song for them to play.
i just hate the way they drop artists like a hot brick at times, but gaga of all people ?!

Comments

• d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Isn't it only being released halfway through May? I thought radio usually only playlist 3 weeks before release?
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    It's far too early. It's not released for another 6 weeks or so.

Having said that, it wouldn't suprise me if they did snub it when the times come. R1 have really been pissing me off recently with their daft playlist policies!
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    It's far too early. It's not released for another 6 weeks or so.

Having said that, it wouldn't suprise me if they did snub it when the times come. R1 have really been pissing me off recently with their daft playlist policies!

possibly, i got the info from twitter.
    but i heard the song on local radio yesterday, and i hasnt the video now gone into circulation?
    i cant see radio one suddenly playlisting it when the song has been and gone.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because its shit, and no-one cares about Chartflop.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    possibly, i got the info from twitter.
    but i heard the song on local radio yesterday, and i hasnt the video now gone into circulation?
    i cant see radio one suddenly playlisting it when the song has been and gone.

The song hasn't "been" yet. Look at Katy's Dark Horse. It was riding high on Itunes weeks before it's official "impact date", so R1 refused to playlist it until like 4 weeks prior to the impact date
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Because its shit, and no-one cares about Chartflop.

A lot of people who add any word followed by the word with Flop must care a lot.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    The song hasn't "been" yet. Look at Katy's Dark Horse. It was riding high on Itunes weeks before it's official "impact date", so R1 refused to playlist it until like 4 weeks prior to the impact date

Dark Horse was not announced as an official release though and when it was. It went on the list.

And now iv lost the bloody tweet. But it was one of the 'little monsters' quoting a reply from radio one saying 'our playlist team make decisions...bla bla bla.unfortunately gaga is not on the playlist this time' etc etc
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe cause Gaga is getting a bit outdated?
  • LED93LED93 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Maybe cause Gaga is getting a bit outdated?

Even though I'm not a fan of the word 'Outdated' especially when it comes to music, I have to agree that compared to her first few years, she has seemingly declined in terms of popularity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LED93 wrote: »
    Even though I'm not a fan of the word 'Outdated' especially when it comes to music, I have to agree that compared to her first few years, she has seemingly declined in terms of popularity.

That's only because she isn't doing the same type of music she did during The Fame era. People just want another Just dance or Bad romance from her. But she isn't. She's doing music she wants to do. Not music that others want her to do

I admire and respect her much more than artists who go down the safe route.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    That's only because she isn't doing the same type of music she did during The Fame era. People just want another Just dance or Bad romance from her. But she isn't. She's doing music she wants to do. Not music that others want her to do

This. Although I wish she would plan her ideas out a bit more with her actual single promo. It's the only thing she's lacked in since TFM for me. She can make the music she wants but she's talented enough for it to be on point and Artpop wasn't fully there. Easier to get into than BTW but still the same issue.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stick a fork in her, she's done.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is Gaga now? once she hits 30 she will be too old for them anyway. Beyoncé gets away with it for some reason but no other female artist is able to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    It's impact date is not for a while Aura101..
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe its coz GUY is god awful.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a good song though. Sure, her fans probably love it, and I think the video is very typically Gaga - she puts a lot of effort into her videos, but the song itself is really bland. It's not got a hook, it's not catchy, it just sounds like a generic album track. Most of Artpop does.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    not play listing her new song GUY.
    thoughts?

without being biased, its still a perfectly reasonable song for them to play.
    i just hate the way they drop artists like a hot brick at times, but gaga of all people ?!

Radio 1 seem to think they know what's "hip".
    I suspect they think (as I do) that she doesn't connect with youngsters anymore.
    She could get playlisted in following weeks anyway. If Heart latch onto the song R1 won't matter anyway...
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. is 30 considered old now! :D:o
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how when the video premiered all her fans were like "BUT IT DOESNT IMPACT TIL APRIL GIVE IT A CHANCE" and now all of a sudden it's May?

I wonder if we'll get to Christmas time and it'll still be flopping, and her deluded fans will still be claiming that "it's coming, give it a chance"
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    Funny how when the video premiered all her fans were like "BUT IT DOESNT IMPACT TIL APRIL GIVE IT A CHANCE" and now all of a sudden it's May?

I wonder if we'll get to Christmas time and it'll still be flopping, and her deluded fans will still be claiming that "it's coming, give it a chance"

You can count on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Wow. is 30 considered old now! :D:o

I thought it was 40

>:(:(
  • RuthvenRuthven Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Curious, and a bit of topic...
    If any song of an album can technically chart - surely that means GUY was available back in November when Artpop was released? So what's the benefit / logic behind "releasing" GUY in 6 weeks time? I just don't get it (or the charts TBH)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I don't think Lady Gaga is really seen as very "cool" anymore, she was the in thing during The Fame/Fame Monster era (though I never got the appeal) but that's all long gone. A lot of casual music fans, even straight men, quite happily listened to Poker Face, Bad Romance and Just Dance, but I don't think a lot of these people would be caught dead buying or listening to her music nowadays. Someone like Rihanna has more of an edge to her, Gaga comes across as very camp and over-the-top, two things that turn a lot of people off, plus you can practically smell her desperation in interviews and on Twitter. Then there's the fact that she hyped herself up when in reality she's an average pop star with average pop songs. It's amazing to think that in five months Artpop hasn't even surpassed what BTW sold in one week in the UK.
  • speedyboispeedyboi Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Ruthven wrote: »
    Curious, and a bit of topic...
    If any song of an album can technically chart - surely that means GUY was available back in November when Artpop was released? So what's the benefit / logic behind "releasing" GUY in 6 weeks time? I just don't get it (or the charts TBH)

I don't get it either. The only reason I can think of is if that's when she can come to the UK to do promo, perhaps? But even so, it doesn't seem like a good idea. Surely any "buzz" for the video will be long gone by then?
  • Marge SimpsonMarge Simpson Posts: 14
    Forum Member

She isn't doing the same type of music? Please! Don't pretend like anything on Artpop is light years away from what she did during The Fame/The Fame Monster era, it's not at all. It's not like she's suddenly started to make Bluegrass or death metal music. A lot of people have actually commented that G.U.Y. has an early Gaga vibe to it. And how is Gaga not going down the safe route? NOTHING she is doing right now is risky or groundbreaking at all, it's just regular pop music that many, many other singers out there are also releasing.

Do What U Want could've been a big hit, it's just a lot of people have lost interest in her. Fans blame the music video not being released for the songs lack of major success but that's just a cop out. Dark Horse by Katy Perry became a big hit without a music video, especially in the US, so why can't Gaga do the same? She's supposed to be one of the biggest pop stars in the world. Do What U Want was promoted on multiple shows in the US and it still failed to go top 10, it was also promoted on big shows in the UK and it still didn't peak any higher than #9.

Bottom line: she can release what the hell she wants right now, the interest just isn't there in a lot of countries like the UK, at least for this era.