Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Maybe not a big celeb but I did sound for a pub act and we got to be the support act for The Move twice, two years apart.............
    I think Bev had something to do with the oringal ELO? I am sure someone will be able to correct me if I am wrong.

PJ

Wasn't Jeff Lynne, who founded ELO, in The Move, originally-along with Roy Wood, of Wizzard fame.
  • Serenity79Serenity79 Posts: 1,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend's ex fella once did security at an event that Richard Hammond was appearing at and he was charged with looking after him - said he seemed like quite a quiet bloke but really nice and friendly and was great to everyone who had come to see him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Surely a celeb is never really off-duty, although there are situations where they should not be troubled.

It is like a policeman who has to respond if they see a crime taking place when they are not working. I understand it is a disciplinary matter if they fail to do so.

It is much the same with off-duty doctors who are expected to help someone in a medical emergency.

the implications are a bit more serious if a policeman or a doctor fails to take action over a crime or medical emergency though

I certainly wouldn't put a celeb refusing to sign an autograph in the same category....you'll give them even bigger egos than they already have :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I chatted to someone who, as a boy, approached Roy Castle for an autograph, and says he got told, 'Son, you can stick that pencil up your backside and whistle Swannee River!'

That's surprising because Roy was known (on television, yes) for being one of the nicest people in showbiz.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he was known for being a tosser away form the TV.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    clemmati wrote: »
    I met Maggie Smith years ago, at a spa. I was in the boutique trying on a really smart top and trouser combo I thought was too smart for me. From behind me a voice said me it really suited me and I should buy it -- it was Maggie Smith. She then asked my advice about the ones she was looking at.

I saw her around after that, she was really nice each time.

The woman is a legend and the real definition of a star.

I adore her.
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Surely a celeb is never really off-duty, although there are situations where they should not be troubled.

Bette Midler told an interesting story about how she used to be basically a bitch to anyone that approached her until one guy lost it and said he would never buy another record or see another one of her movies ever again.

She sobered up after that encounter. I was shocked to here it as I never thought she would be a cow to her fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Gately - Legend, top bloke, loved his cars and motor racing
    Leslie Crowther - Genuinely funny bloke
    Russell Brand - Brief chat at Heathrow was a nice guy and wished me a safe flight
    Cilla Black - Obnoxious self important cow
    Rick Parfitt - Genuine bloke, met him at Indian takeaway he queued and waited like anyone else
    Francis Rossi - Up himself
    Gary Lineker - Miserable sod nothing like on tv
    Murray Walker - Rude and unpleasant
    Ayrton Senna - A gent, very quiet and serious but top bloke
    Billy Murray - Legend
    Alan Sugar - Wasn't rude but not the sort of person you would invite to a dinner party
    Richard Hammond - Nothing like his tv persona, vile
    Michael Schumacher - Aloof is kindest description
    Kimi Raikkonen - Colder than a frozen cod
    George Lucas - Disinterested in talking with us
    James May - Top bloke, could chat to him all day
    Stirling Moss - A gent
    Johnny Herbert - Again top bloke very down to earth
    Damon Hill - Miserable ****er
    Lewis Hamilton - Surprisingly friendly
    Jenson Button - Genuinely nice guy
    Jimmy White - Again another top bloke
    George Best - Chatted to him over a drink was a nice guy
    Don Henley - Heard bad reports about him but he was nice to me

WOW! I love him!

You're so lucky to have met him. How did you encounter him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I've met a few celebs over the years, and been lucky enough to always have nice meetings.

Derren Brown - Lovely, polite and SO caring towards his fans. True gent.

Billie Piper - Delectable, delightful and wonderful.

David O'Leary - Gentleman. Took loads of time out to sign and chat.

Graham Cole (Tony Stamp off the Bill) - Same as above.

Professor Richard Wiseman - Legend. Bought me a coffee, spent time talking about magic and then came to see me perform. Lovely bloke.

Russell Howard - Slighty tired, but he had just done a gig. Waited until every fan had an autograph.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Jeff Lynne, who founded ELO, in The Move, originally-along with Roy Wood, of Wizzard fame.

Thanks, I knew there was some connection.

By the way, The Move still had it, they rocked the venue :)
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,038
    Forum Member
    King Wrong wrote: »
    I know a lot of people say Kenny Baker (R2-D2) is really nice and rip into Anthony Daniels (C-3P0) as being very aloof but in my experience they were exactly opposite-Kenny Baker couldn't be bothered to speak beyond a grunt whereas Anthony was a lovely chatty gent.

Kenny Baker came to stay at our Hotel a few years ago and was pleasant enough, until it came to the end of the stay and complained that all of our door knobs were too high!

Our GM said - 'Do you not think it may be that you're a little short for them sir?'

:D
  • ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    laska wrote: »
    WOW! I love him!

You're so lucky to have met him. How did you encounter him?

At a pub in a place called Kingswood in Surrey, am guessing he was visiting friends or something
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    I met Darren Hayes (Savage Garden) last NYE and he was a total sweetheart!
  • Serenity79Serenity79 Posts: 1,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met a few celebs over the years, and been lucky enough to always have nice meetings.

Derren Brown - Lovely, polite and SO caring towards his fans. True gent.

Billie Piper - Delectable, delightful and wonderful.

David O'Leary - Gentleman. Took loads of time out to sign and chat.

Graham Cole (Tony Stamp off the Bill) - Same as above.

Professor Richard Wiseman - Legend. Bought me a coffee, spent time talking about magic and then came to see me perform. Lovely bloke.

Russell Howard - Slighty tired, but he had just done a gig. Waited until every fan had an autograph.

Oh he is an absolute darling, I've met him a few times and he is a complete doll. Love him to bits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Serenity79 wrote: »
    Oh he is an absolute darling, I've met him a few times and he is a complete doll. Love him to bits.

He really is. Completely goes out of his way for everyone. and occasionally dm's on twitter!
  • youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess part of how a celebrity treats their fans depends on how long they have been famous for.

Someone who becomes famous in 6 months is maybe going to be nicer than someone who has been around 20 years, maybe they get a bit fed up.
    any other thoughts on this?
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving the Maggie Smith anecdotes. I like her even more, now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youngswede wrote: »
    I guess part of how a celebrity treats their fans depends on how long they have been famous for.

Someone who becomes famous in 6 months is maybe going to be nicer than someone who has been around 20 years, maybe they get a bit fed up.
    any other thoughts on this?

I've found the opposite to be true to be honest. The longer and more established the star, the friendlier they are, or certainly, the more A list they are, the better they are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rutakateki wrote: »
    :D He never said that when he was voicing a grumpy elephant!

Ahahaha! :D

Someone ought to do an Animal Magic with cranky, cursing animals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie and Geri Spice visited Great Ormond St off their own backs (as opposed to courting a huge amount of publicity) - on Xmas Day back in the 90s - and to me that deserves ultimate respect - regardless of whether they may be nice or not so nice. They came on their own, separately, no entourages.......I was there, so that is the proof enough

Robin Williams - also a funny man, lovely
    Prince Phillip - hmmm, ignorant, dare I say it
    Peter Andre (first time in the 90s) - awful, arrogant, rude
    Peter Andre (a couple of years ago) - much better!
    Shirley Manson and Garbage - fantastic, lovely, welcoming, friendly and helpful
    Matt Goss (in 1998) - quite aloof, hiding under a baseball cap
    Russell Crowe - post Gladiator -spent a lot of time talking to us at the premier of Proof Of Life
    Michael Parkinson - very rude, turned his back on me
    Ant and Dec (when they were still PJ and Duncan) - very sweet, small and shy!
    Jenny Frost *(when she was in Precious) - lovely!
    Jamilia (when she was just starting out and doing school tours) - very shy and sweet

Many more, but these are the ones that stick in my mind :cool:
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I have never met anyone famous :(
    Though most people i know have :/
    My auntie and cousin were shopping in Reading with a friend and they were sitting in a cafe when the friend called out 'Ian!' and beckoned someone over. It was Ian of SCD and he was completely lovely. They're both fans of the show and my cousin does a lot of dancing. Apparently she went bright red and very quiet but he was completely lovely to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    nicest people i met ardal o'hanlon and a close second greg davies

not so nice ones

sally lyndsey, anthony cotton and will mellor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barkingmad wrote: »
    Prince Phillip - hmmm, ignorant, dare I say it

My mum met him in the mid 80s at a charity thing at Buckingham Palace and reckoned he was alright. It was a very brief meeting, mind you, so I don't think he had time to put his foot in his mouth in that instance. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Pete Doherty was probably the nicest celeb I have met. I was in a line to go into a TV show recording and he just came out to see everyone, it went a bit mental but he posed for as many pictures as he could and agreed to let us take another one after I saw he wasn't looking at the camera in the first one. Michael Urie (Marc from Ugly Betty) was also lovely, he actually seemed quite shy. I embarrassed myself in front of Noel Fielding, the only thing I could think to say was "My Grandad's name was Noel...". I think he thought I was a mentalist, but he was nice too. He gave us all autographs and drew us all pictures of the Boosh sign, although he spelt my name wrong, but I can fogive that I suppose! Gok Wan refused to have a picture taken with me once but he said it was because there was too many people there, to be honest I think he just couldn't really be bothered!

This is not my story, but a friend of mine was in a cafe once with one of my other friends and one of our old teachers. They were talking about Harry Potter and my friend said how her brother thinks JK Rowling looks like a man. A minute or two later she noticed a woman sitting at a table literally two feet away from them - it was JK Rowling. Basically there was no way she couldn't have heard them. I know it's not a meeting situation, just thought it was a good story!
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey Lucy that is a great story
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel Edmonds is horrible in real life. He opened the Co Op in Workington in the seventies, looking totally bored, then when kids approached him for autographs, he told his heavies to " get these awful people away from me" and stormed off. Also a friend approached him for an autograph outside the BBC and he told him to sod off.