✭✭

Comments

• TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Appropriate name you have there.
  • LONERIDER37LONERIDER37 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes I wonder what certain clubs expect. I'm pretty sure after their last manager didn't do the business - David Weir I think, Clough took over had good cup runs and got them to the Play off's, over 50% wins record and now he is sacked. Crazy imo.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At times I think directors/owners have the brains of an ant, then realise I am being cruel to the ant.

Christ on a cross!, will chairmen and club boards/owners ever get their collective heads out of their asses and see reality?. I think Cloughie has done well this season, and if he had been kept was in an ideal position to get the club up in the next one.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing most if not everyone who's commented on here has not seen us play week in, week out...

Clough spent 1.5M on a left back who he's played at CB because he's fallen out with his three CB's and refuses to play them. All season (since selling Harry Maguire to Hull) in August we've had a CB issue and he's never addressed the issue. Going 1 goal up then sitting back and defending is not the way to go, I don't care what anyone says. He wanted Chris O'Grady in the summer, spent all summer chasing him, failed and then made a panic buy with Michael Higdon, who was overweight and too slow. We've got a squad of over 23 average players when in the summer he said we need 3/4 quality players (he went on to sign 7 average players with money to spend...)

He's too stubborn and will only look after himself rather than the teams interest.

The board were prepared to let him see his contract out, they had a meeting in London over the weekend and we asked him if he would play a more attacking style of play (we don't call him negative Nige for nothing). He's refused because he's stuck in his stubborn ways and we've given him his P45.

Good riddance.

Early names are Darren Ferguson (no thanks), Warburton (Yes), Parkinson (no thanks) and Adkins (yes, yes, please). Who will we end up with ? God knows...

UTB
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    I'm guessing most if not everyone who's commented on here has not seen us play week in, week out...

Clough spent 1.5M on a left back who he's played at CB because he's fallen out with his three CB's and refuses to play them. All season (since selling Harry Maguire to Hull) in August we've had a CB issue and he's never addressed the issue. Going 1 goal up then sitting back and defending is not the way to go, I don't care what anyone says. He wanted Chris O'Grady in the summer, spent all summer chasing him, failed and then made a panic buy with Michael Higdon, who was overweight and too slow. We've got a squad of over 23 average players when in the summer he said we need 3/4 quality players (he went on to sign 7 average players with money to spend...)

He's too stubborn and will only look after himself rather than the teams interest.

The board were prepared to let him see his contract out, they had a meeting in London over the weekend and we asked him if he would play a more attacking style of play (we don't call him negative Nige for nothing). He's refused because he's stuck in his stubborn ways and we've given him his P45.

Good riddance.

Early names are Darren Ferguson (no thanks), Warburton (Yes), Parkinson (no thanks) and Adkins (yes, yes, please). Who will we end up with ? God knows...

UTB

Well I'm a season ticket holder so hopefully you won't just dismiss my view (although I'm but a woman). I don't know how long you've supported us,but if you couldn't see that for the first time in years the club was actually going in a forward direction, I despair. We have a lot of weird, entitled supporters who actually do more harm than good. The problem is the board seem scared of them and we then end up the kings of knee jerk reactions. We might be a 'big' club in terms of support, but we are where we are for a reason - and it's not Clough. The board have made a succession of terrible decisions and this ranks as one of the worst. I feel a lot more pessimistic about the coming season than I did.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs_Mopp wrote: »
    Well I'm a season ticket holder so hopefully you won't just dismiss my view (although I'm but a woman). I don't know how long you've supported us,but if you couldn't see that for the first time in years the club was actually going in a forward direction, I despair. We have a lot of weird, entitled supporters who actually do more harm than good. The problem is the board seem scared of them and we then end up the kings of knee jerk reactions. We might be a 'big' club in terms of support, but we are where we are for a reason - and it's not Clough. The board have made a succession of terrible decisions and this ranks as one of the worst. I feel a lot more pessimistic about the coming season than I did.

The negative group of fans hounded Clough out by the sounds of it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs_Mopp wrote: »

Did Clough do all of what I said in my post you quoted ? Could he have recalled Collins from Port Vale so we actually had a CB playing in the correct position ? He only acknowledged the CB issue in an interview with BBC Radio Sheffield AFTER the semi-final second leg defeat in May 2015, we sold Maguire at the start of last season.

Was Higdon a panic buy once O'Grady went elsewhere ?

Would you have trusted Nigel with more money to spend in the summer when his scouting range took him as far as Derby and Sctoland ? He mentioned he needed 3/4 key players at the start of last season, he signed:

Campbell-Ryce
    McNulty
    Basham
    Bulter
    Davies
    James Wallace
    Alcock
    McGahey
    Higdon
    McEveley
    Turner

During the Jan window (when we really needed a CB he signed)

Adams (best signing he's made, young and hungry for it)
    Kieran Wallace
    Freeman
    Coutts
    Brayford (Not required, more of a keep the fans happy, buy)
    Done

No true CB in there.

Who would you like to see as the next manager, btw ?
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    The negative group of fans hounded Clough out by the sounds of it

Some fans wanted him gone but at the end of the day Clough made these decisions and it quite simply was not good enough.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    Did Clough do all of what I said in my post you quoted ? Could he have recalled Collins from Port Vale so we actually had a CB playing in the correct position ? He only acknowledged the CB issue in an interview with BBC Radio Sheffield AFTER the semi-final second leg defeat in May 2015, we sold Maguire at the start of last season.

Was Higdon a panic buy once O'Grady went elsewhere ?

Would you have trusted Nigel with more money to spend in the summer when his scouting range took him as far as Derby and Sctoland ? He mentioned he needed 3/4 key players at the start of last season, he signed:

Campbell-Ryce
    McNulty
    Basham
    Bulter
    Davies
    James Wallace
    Alcock
    McGahey
    Higdon
    McEveley
    Turner

During the Jan window (when we really needed a CB he signed)

Adams (best signing he's made, young and hungry for it)
    Kieran Wallace
    Freeman
    Coutts
    Brayford (Not required, more of a keep the fans happy, buy)
    Done

No true CB in there.

Who would you like to see as the next manager, btw ?

Some fans wanted him gone but at the end of the day Clough made these decisions and it quite simply was not good enough.

You offloaded Campbell-Ryce back to Notts only for him to get injured. So JCR was unavailable for both our teams when he was desperately needed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    You offloaded Campbell-Ryce back to Notts only for him to get injured. So JCR was unavailable for both our teams when he was desperately needed

JCR was a good little player who Clough didn't use enough imo but what you said was towards the end of the season. The fact remains, CB issue was still never addressed and that was what cost us promotion along with average signings in many Blades fans eyes.