The Minimum Wage

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there you go......the proof of the pudding.....:)

What we need in this country of ours is a reduced cost base that encourages a proliferation of employers to make good use of our available human resources.

Bring on the Tories.......:)

I read:

"In the 2005 General Election campaign, the Conservative Party promised that, if elected, it would implement the government’s recommendation for a minimum wage of £5.35 an hour by 2006. The period since 2005 has seen no major changes in the Conservative Party’s position on the minimum wage."

Therefore I don't understand your "Bring on the Tories". :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    bomb #21 wrote: »
    Moi? :eek:

I think you're confusing me with FM Tolstoy -- aren't you?

The "cost of living is less" justification sounds plausible. But ... more overseas outsourcing = less work in the UK = the greater unemployment you mentioned -- doesn't it?

Sorry I did :o

And no it doesn't. Outsourcing enables me to employ people in the UK. If I didn't outsource then there is a chance the people I do employ as well as your imaginary people I might have employed would be out of work. And in global terms I am ensuring more people are employed if I can pay for 10 people overseas at the same cost as 5 in the UK, as well as injecting value into developing economies.
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I cannot believe that although you are in a different industry to me of course.
    In my industry the people paying minimum or wanting to pay less are generally known as cowboys who cut corners.

Well that is definitely someone who is out of touch with reality....

The link.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that is definitely someone who is out of touch with reality....

The link.

I said "in my industry" I don't work in car manufacturing which has different problems and responses to those problems than the industry I work in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read:

"In the 2005 General Election campaign, the Conservative Party promised that, if elected, it would implement the government’s recommendation for a minimum wage of £5.35 an hour by 2006. The period since 2005 has seen no major changes in the Conservative Party’s position on the minimum wage."

Therefore I don't understand your "Bring on the Tories". :confused:

Well there is a possibility that the Tories made that commitment before they realised what a shocking financial state the country would be in and what steps they would have to take to sort out the mess......who knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I said "in my industry" I don't work in car manufacturing which has different problems and responses to those problems than the industry I work in.

Okay I do accept there will always be the odd exception in the general scheme of things....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there is a possibility that the Tories made that commitment before they realised what a shocking financial state the country would be in and what steps they would have to take to sort out the mess......who knows.

Well, here's a suggestion; don't big them up in a discussion on xyz if you don't know where they currently stand on xyz.

FWIW, Boris Johnson (Conservative) "raised" London's living wage to £7.60 in May this year and pledged that the increase would apply to all staff working under the Greater London Authority and to "all new contracts for staff working on our sites, such as caterers, security guards and cleaners where allowed". Pretty courageous in the midst of a recession. ;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/may/22/london-london
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old boris isnt that bad for a tory is he :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starman700 wrote:
    old boris isnt that bad for a tory is he :D

Dunno about bad for a Tory -- he's often good for a giggle. :D

ETA: Shadow Business Minister slams Government over minimum wage figures. "At a time when job losses and personal insolvencies are on the rise, it is vital that the Government not only ensures a fair deal for all workers, but also stops unscrupulous companies undermining their competitors who comply with the law." Feb 09
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I did :o

OK. :)
    And no it doesn't. Outsourcing enables me to employ people in the UK. If I didn't outsource then there is a chance the people I do employ as well as your imaginary people I might have employed would be out of work. And in global terms I am ensuring more people are employed if I can pay for 10 people overseas at the same cost as 5 in the UK, as well as injecting value into developing economies.

Again, sounds plausible ( :D @ my "imaginary people").

It's not really something I know much, if anything, about. So all I can really say is that I've heard TV adverts incorporating spiel like "our CSCs are UK-based", which suggests that it can be done without "fatally" jeopardising the business in question.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member

It's not really something I know much, if anything, about. So all I can really say is that I've heard TV adverts incorporating spiel like "our CSCs are UK-based", which suggests that it can be done without "fatally" jeopardising the business in question.

I think that depends entirely on your business model. If you will be making money from people calling up, then you may want the best service for those people, whatever the cost (example, 118 118 wouldn't do too well if every person that rang in could not understand them).

If you are an entrepreneur with an office team of three or four, producing widgets to sell in the UK, then you want those widgets produced in the factory that can do them as cheaply as possible. This means outsourcing to other countries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that depends entirely on your business model. If you will be making money from people calling up, then you may want the best service for those people, whatever the cost (example, 118 118 wouldn't do too well if every person that rang in could not understand them).

If you are an entrepreneur with an office team of three or four, producing widgets to sell in the UK, then you want those widgets produced in the factory that can do them as cheaply as possible. This means outsourcing to other countries.

Are you an entrepreneur? You want them as cheaply as possible? If you can find somewhere that'll knock 'em out at less than poverty wages, would you draw the line?

I wouldn't know a business model if it bit me, so I guess I'm deluded that there's such a thing as a reasonable profit, as opposed to a maximum one. I do know that I've read about "immigrants" working here but sending most of their earnings home, with that being "bad" for the economy. If the workers don't even live here I doubt they're going to spend it here. So for each overseas worker there's one here on JSA + not paying taxes/NICs + economising as far as humanly possible = triple whammy -- again not good for the economy.

If someone could post "last year we made £x profit but y% of that was savings from outsourcing", then someone else could figure the downside of the outsourcing to the national economy to see if that pans out overall then ... fair enough, maybe. But I suspect it's all a bit tunnel vision-y.

Good to see you back in the thread tho'. :)
  • Eat The TellyEat The Telly Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there you go......the proof of the pudding.....:)

What we need in this country of ours is a reduced cost base that encourages a proliferation of employers to make good use of our available human resources.

Bring on the Tories.......:)

Employers providing what? low wage, low skill, dead end go no where jobs. There is no future for this country as a low wage psuedo third world sweat shop. If you think we should really being trying to compete with such places you are badly misguided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Employers providing what? low wage, low skill, dead end go no where jobs. There is no future for this country as a low wage psuedo third world sweat shop. If you think we should really being trying to compete with such places you are badly misguided.

I beg to differ...

At the moment this country is going nowhere until we develop a manufacturing sector again and start producing some of our own goods......we have the human resources we should use them to the best advantage.

That isn't best achieved by paying families £32,000 per year for sitting at home and doing sod all nor is it best achieved by having a government that has become the paymaster rewarding folk by accumulating debt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're reading this thread, and currently struggling to find work; please bear in mind that the currently elected "Labour" Government has made it practically impossible for employers to take on staff under any reasonable terms.

There are thousands of jobs potentially available to you; but they are on a give and take basis. As it stands, the Labour Government are insisting that a job is your right. It is not, it is your employers prerogative; and until that is addressed very few companies will be willing to employ you.