Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. :)

The only time I liked LGs hair up was in s1 (I think) when LG walked straight past DM at the church door and he says :"ah, Louisa, you're looking....straight through me". Ahhhh those were the days.
    ''''

Cookie, those were the days. I don't care as much about the snogging, but I would love to see one hint of charm and humor from Martin Ellingham before it all goes away.

Another thing about that first series (now you've got me going)when the village was supposedly boycotting him after Elaine's firing, he went to a restaurant and ordered (not sure of sequence) soup (out), chili con carne (out) and pasta (out). I would also like him to eat something other than fish. To quote Aunt Ruth's sarcastic comment when she heard couscous was being served (yummmm).

He was grumpy and rude those first several seasons but I thought there was something cute and playful about him. Whatever the change may be in S 7, please let us have a brief glimpse of the Martin Ellingham that Louisa fell in love with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    DMfan wrote: »
    He was grumpy and rude those first several seasons but I thought there was something cute and playful about him. Whatever the change may be in S 7, please let us have a brief glimpse of the Martin Ellingham that Louisa fell in love with.

That's the DM I want to see again!
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    That's the DM I want to see again!

Me too!
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it "healed" really quickly on both occasions so difficult to see why such a point was made of it. Except from the point of view that for a surgeon to cut his hands is hugely worrying.

No thoughts before when Lizzie asked the question, but now I wonder if there is something in the fact that he has trouble even with his own blood. Or maybe it was just a convenient thing each time and a change of blood source to show he was still having trouble with the phobia, as he'd already thrown up many times over blood from other sources.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, Susie, for the link to that story. It is lovely. The fanfic writers are great aren't they? :):):)
    Forum Member

Thanks for the link, Susie.
    I hope the pajamas LE got for DM are better and sexier than the Pajamas of Steel!:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, Susie.
    I hope the pajamas LE got for DM are better and sexier than the Pajamas of Steel!:D:D
    Shortie pajamas? :o:o:o
    I can't think of any pj's that I would really like DM to wear - it's the buttons done up to the neck which I most object to. (Ist preference would, of course, be none!)
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shortie pajamas? :o:o:o
    I can't think of any pj's that I would really like DM to wear - it's the buttons done up to the neck which I most object to. (Ist preference would, of course, be none!)

Boxer briefs with a T-shirt would be realistic...nothing would be better, but watching all these British shows it seems like they do wear pajamas more than most people in the United States would....climate?...tradition?...I don't know.
    Forum Member
    I liked the sleepwear DM wore in S1. Nothing fancy nor fussy, but much sexier and more masculine than the Pajamas of Steel, which to me always look as if they belong on the baby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you all enjoyed the story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the sleepwear DM wore in S1. Nothing fancy nor fussy, but much sexier and more masculine than the Pajamas of Steel, which to me always look as if they belong on the baby.

Oh yes. I can't believe I almost forgot the t-shirt in s1! :):):)
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member

Another reason to bring back a glimpse of s 1 doc. My husband is a little younger than Doc but he wears similar flannel pj bottoms in winter with long sleeve Henley. My dad doesn't even wear pjs of steel
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    If so, she needs to do a better job of it. Her exasperated or angry responses to him in S6 came off as bitchy. Not sure if that was on purpose or if CC couldn't quite get it right.

I like your speculation that maybe some of this is the choices made by the actress. I have thought that too, and I am glad to see another fan considering that option

In e2S6 they are already arguing a lot. I don't understand why Louisa was so resistant to having Mike help out at first. They never really explained why she didn't even want to give him a try for a few days. To me it is bizarre behavior and didn't make sense. Then she goes off half cocked at the guy at the construction sight. What the heck was that? She was really out of control and they never really explained or covered that. I had thought that maybe the head injury in that ep would be followed up in a later episode, and hoped her behavior would be explained by a long term head injury. (I knew from spoilers that she would have a brain injury later in the series.)

I think they often sell Louisa short when it comes to allowing some introspection or explanation why she is always at the end of her rope. Fortunately for this viewer she was a more sympathetic for me the times she tried to reach out to him.

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I like your speculation that maybe some of this is the choices made by the actress. I have thought that too, and I am glad to see another fan considering that option

In e2S6 they are already arguing a lot. I don't understand why Louisa was so resistant to having Mike help out at first. They never really explained why she didn't even want to give him a try for a few days. To me it is bizarre behavior and didn't make sense. Then she goes off half cocked at the guy at the construction sight. What the heck was that? She was really out of control and they never really explained or covered that. I had thought that maybe the head injury in that ep would be followed up in a later episode, and hoped her behavior would be explained by a long term head injury. (I knew from spoilers that she would have a brain injury later in the series.)

I think they often sell Louisa short when it comes to allowing some introspection or explanation why she is always at the end of her rope. Fortunately for this viewer she was a more sympathetic for me the times she tried to reach out to him.

They have sold Louisa short and it seems to me that sits squarely on the shoulders of the writers and the powers that be. Her irrationality makes her seem a not particularly intelligent person and I would think that Martin would hold intelligence in a life partner in high esteem. He comes across as a globally intelligent person..not an idiot savant of medicine....it's hard to connect with a person of less intelligence and seemingly no introspective skills. I guess Martin is an exception there, because he lacks any introspective skills whatsoever..but he has been handicapped in that way by external and internal influences.

In S7 they should set out to repar the image they've given Louisa. Maybe just us "super fans" have noticed because we analyze the heck out of it, but it is glaringly confusing.
    Forum Member
    Another reason to bring back a glimpse of s 1 doc. My husband is a little younger than Doc but he wears similar flannel pj bottoms in winter with long sleeve Henley. My dad doesn't even wear pjs of steel

Now that you mention it, the only man I ever knew who wore actual pajamas was my granddad! Every other man I have ever known has worn his underwear to bed---i.e., boxers and vest. Thanks to S6, we now know that DM wears boxers, but no vests!:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »

In e2S6 they are already arguing a lot. I don't understand why Louisa was so resistant to having Mike help out at first. They never really explained why she didn't even want to give him a try for a few days. To me it is bizarre behavior and didn't make sense.
    Then she goes off half cocked at the guy at the construction sight. What the heck was that? She was really out of control and they never really explained or covered that. I had thought that maybe the head injury in that ep would be followed up in a later episode, and hoped her behavior would be explained by a long term head injury. (I knew from spoilers that she would have a brain injury later in the series.)

Yes, exactly! Something else about that scene that really bothered me, and no one else has commented on it here (unless I missed it), was how LE lied to DM in front of Mike about having already hired someone else. Then, after Mike left and LE had to come clean, she threw it back at DM, saying he would have to figure something out. He had figured something out until she walked in and blew it up! Any ordinary man would have blown his stack at a woman who behaved like that, but DM just stood there and took it.

And to think that last summer BP was spreading spoilers that LE had hired the manny and DM got jealous and angry about it!
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on the series 6 dvd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    The first thing Louisa said to Martin when he stared at her on the airplane was "You've got a problem." Does this set the tone for the entire show that Martin has a problem but Louisa doesn't? I always thought she became so mildly angry to furious with him because he is very frustrating to deal with. Sometimes it seems her principal role in the show is to have a negative reaction to him.

I agree that she had irrational moments in S 6, particularly not wanting to hire Mike. At the time, I thought it was because Martin thought he was fine and she was in her full Oppositional Defiance mode as written by BP. Honestly, if I were in a relationship with Martin, I would be frustrated a good deal of the time (and not just sexually Mofromco) but just trying to deal with him on a day to day basis. He either creeps around doing practical things like changing and feeding James, does things without consulting Louisa -- planning the Christening, inviting the governor to dinner; not talking to her -- eps. 3 through 8 of S. 6, or reacting negatively to her. Again, we had to wait until the last five minutes of ep. when they actually talked -- but Louisa was drugged, so does that count?

I am hanging on for s. 7, because I think BP has some great plan in mind that will blow us away. Getting there is fascinating but frustrating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading the last few posts about L and M has been fascinating. My thoughts after it all is that they are both struggling with control issues, since both have been on their own for so much of their life, either emotionally and/or physically from their childhoods on. So each in their own way is having their world upset while trying to have this new close relationship called parenting, family and now marriage.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    They have sold Louisa short and it seems to me that sits squarely on the shoulders of the writers and the powers that be. Her irrationality makes her seem a not particularly intelligent person and I would think that Martin would hold intelligence in a life partner in high esteem. He comes across as a globally intelligent person..not an idiot savant of medicine....it's hard to connect with a person of less intelligence and seemingly no introspective skills. I guess Martin is an exception there, because he lacks any introspective skills whatsoever..but he has been handicapped in that way by external and internal influences.

In S7 they should set out to repar the image they've given Louisa. Maybe just us "super fans" have noticed because we analyze the heck out of it, but it is glaringly confusing.

They came very close making the audience wonder what on earth he saw in her. I think, though, that they couldn't have broken them up at end of S6 if she had been a more sympathetic version of Louisa.
    Forum Member
    Any news on the series 6 dvd

I'm in the US and mine is on the way (I expect by Tuesday). I ordered it from Barnes and Noble and it was shipped Friday.
    Forum Member
    DMfan wrote: »
    I am hanging on for s. 7, because I think BP has some great plan in mind that will blow us away. Getting there is fascinating but frustrating.

Me too. I certainly hope they have a grand plan that knocks our socks off and leaves the fans and our characters in a positive state of mind.
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    They came very close making the audience wonder what on earth he saw in her. I think, though, that they couldn't have broken them up at end of S6 if she had been a more sympathetic version of Louisa.

Maybe S7 will finally answer that question. He's already told her she was beautiful (though drunk), he's told her she would make a wonderful mother, he's told her he can't live without her...but you are right. He's never explained in so many words "why".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »

I really didn't feel sorry for Louisa until she got hit by the car. That scene when she came home and Margaret is at the table CC did a superb job of portraying Louisa as one beat up, defeated woman. But I would have even been more sympathetic had she not been such a witch before.
This discussion has been closed.