Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Although Martin's self-esteem with Louisa was very low, professionally he had the hubris to take over another surgeon's operating theater and perform surgery on his wife. I go back to the psychologists and ask them, can someone transform from extremely low self-esteem personally to extremely high self-esteem professionally? Martin is really "on" professionally but terribly "off" personally. Is this possible? As a lay person I would think that if you had low self esteeem, your career would reflect that. Granted, Martin had a few slips with patients, but he handled his medical responsibilities very well in S. 6 for the most part. The follow on question would be how does Martin transfer that professional self-esteeem to his person life?

Okay, some of my best friends are doctors and therapists - and I'm interested in their take as fans, too. But, IMO one of the things wrong with S6 is in order to make sense of it we we increasingly need to turn to medical doctors and therapists, and analyzing our own bouts with depression. Where did the spark and sparkle go? I don't care how true to life S6 is if it's not entertaining. It's clear I'm in the minority with this opinion and most of you love-love-loved S6. Still, I feel compelled to occasionally speak up. :)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Person is Aunt Ruth for Martin but not Louisa. She needs a Dutch Uncle figure who will shake her up as Aunt Ruth shook Martin. It is interesting that Aunt Ruth has been in Portwenn for less than a year and seems to have had limited contact with Martin before then. But she is the truth speaker while Aunt Joan could never quite bring herself to tell Martin he needed help. Joan had a longer relationship with him in PW and also in his childhood. It is not just Ruth's profession but a removal from Martin that allows her to be more frank with him

I hope S 7 brings someone to tell Louisa she needs help. Not Elinor or her father released from prison. I think there may be a long lost aunt or uncle in Louisa's life

Bert has sometimes been used to say important things -- like "go with the flow." I could see him delivering some "home truths" to her. Or possibly we will see the return of Roger Fenn. I even wonder, as Al and Morwenna are almost certainly going to be a couple next season, whether either of them will have some words of wisdom for her, or at least model for her a relationship that seems to "work." And I wouldn't entirely rule out a role for Aunt Ruth at some juncture.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, some of my best friends are doctors and therapists - and I'm interested in their take as fans, too. But, IMO one of the things wrong with S6 is in order to make sense of it we we increasingly need to turn to medical doctors and therapists, and analyzing our own bouts with depression. Where did the spark and sparkle go? I don't care how true to life S6 is if it's not entertaining. It's clear I'm in the minority with this opinion and most of you love-love-loved S6. Still, I feel compelled to occasionally speak up. :)

I forget where it was that I read or heard that S6 was going to be a "roller coaster ride". They certainly provided that but it turned out to be the very top of the highest hill and a direct plunge into the depths. I realize that the powers that be love to inject some cruel irony into the story, so I really feel that I don't entirely trust them. That being said, I wonder if they'll be kind enough to provide the audience with an acceptable ending ? Maybe S7 will be much more lighthearted and comedic in contrast with S5 and S6. I'd like that for you, Stateside. It wouldn't be very nice to be left with a bad taste in our mouths and that vague sensation of nausea that these dark stories bring. I guess well have to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Bert has sometimes been used to say important things -- like "go with the flow." I could see him delivering some "home truths" to her. Or possibly we will see the return of Roger Fenn. I even wonder, as Al and Morwenna are almost certainly going to be a couple next season, whether either of them will have some words of wisdom for her, or at least model for her a relationship that seems to "work." And I wouldn't entirely rule out a role for Aunt Ruth at some juncture.

Whoever fill this role of "advisor to Louisa", it has to be someone that knows her and recognizes her behavior pattern. She doesn't have a best girlfriend or anything. I can't imagine a new character.....a wise uncle or aunt...being able to tell her anything......Maybe they'll just ignore it? Or they pick out someone that we all know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I forget where it was that I read or heard that S6 was going to be a "roller coaster ride". They certainly provided that but it turned out to be the very top of the highest hill and a direct plunge into the depths. I realize that the powers that be love to inject some cruel irony into the story, so I really feel that I don't entirely trust them. That being said, I wonder if they'll be kind enough to provide the audience with an acceptable ending ? Maybe S7 will be much more lighthearted and comedic in contrast with S5 and S6. I'd like that for you, Stateside. It wouldn't be very nice to be left with a bad taste in our mouths and that vague sensation of nausea that these dark stories bring. I guess well have to see.

I think you heard it here, maybe from PoorRichard's report of her trip to Port Isaac. She (or someone else who was there) reported a conversation with a crew member, at the time the wedding was being filmed, to the effect that the viewers were in for a roller-coaster ride. That's my recollection, anyway.

I would bet money that there will ultimately be a "happy" outcome, with Martin and Louisa more or less firmly reconciled. Any other outcome, it seems to me, makes nonsense of all that has gone before. And does leave millions of viewers with a bad taste in their mouth. I don't think PB will do that. But I would bet an almost equal amount of money that the reconciliation won't come until the last scene of the last episode. I hope not, but I think they'll spin it out as long as they can.

I have played with the idea that this time, it will be Martin who will make a gesture of leaving the relationship, if Louisa continues to waver, and be unsure of whether she wants to chance it again. Low odds, I would say, but it would be a fresh twist.
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    For me this is part of what makes s6 so very poor and unbelievable - just about all their problems could be solved with a simple discussion.

For me it feels like they've deliberately stretched it out. When I can see the writers trying to achieve something I think the writing isn't very believable or well thought out. It should flow effortlessly and I should be so involved in the story that I don't even think of the writers.

Agreed, Cookie. After E1, it seemed that the main characters' relationship devolved unnaturally fast and then became static. If a season lasts only 8 episodes, then there needs to be some movement over the course of the last 6. I keep thinking that the writing team must have gotten very frustrated with what BP was telling them to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, I am with you, Statesidefan. Very disappointed with S6; too much straining of credibility and too much recycling of storylines and plot devices. If S7 gives us more of the same, then I won't want to watch. :(
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever fill this role of "advisor to Louisa", it has to be someone that knows her and recognizes her behavior pattern. She doesn't have a best girlfriend or anything. I can't imagine a new character.....a wise uncle or aunt...being able to tell her anything......Maybe they'll just ignore it? Or they pick out someone that we all know.

Is it possible that L's mum might have some sort of epiphany and straight talk with her daughter, regarding her own "leaving" of her marriage and the effect on L? Just a thought....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that L's mum might have some sort of epiphany and straight talk with her daughter, regarding her own "leaving" of her marriage and the effect on L? Just a thought....

Not so far fetched Susie. I have been playing with idea that either Louisa's mom or dad could help her. Her Dad had no antipathy towards Martin and was a loving Dad despite being a criminal. I think that Elinor saw Martin in a different light after he operated on her. Her leaving aggravated Louisa but I didn't see it as a deal breaker in their relationship. Mum is Mum. I also entertain the possibility of Bert, but he is such a basically comedic character...I'm not sure it would ring true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    No, I am with you, Statesidefan. Very disappointed with S6; too much straining of credibility and too much recycling of storylines and plot devices. If S7 gives us more of the same, then I won't want to watch. :(

I'm with those who were not very happy with S6. I don't think I will rewatch any of it. I think the basic problem is that they thought they were ending with S5, and really had not planned out another story arc. They got the bright idea of showing the marriage getting into difficulties (which, I have to admit, was always on the cards, given their individual and joint dysfunctions); thought up a reasonable way to accomplish this, and then had too much story line to wrap up in one series, but in a sense, too little to stretch effectively. In other words -- maybe 6 episodes in S6 and 6 in S7 would have worked out better.

I didn't really like the whole turn to the dark side, but I can sort of see the logic of it, and actually feel that if they wind up the series showing DM in a better place, he and their marriage put back together, stronger for the experience, that's not an unreasonable goal.

Although, that said, I think I would have preferred that they end with S5 rather than go down the road they did. A lot depends on how they finish out S7. They have known for quite a long time, I think, that there would be a S7, so presumably they have lots of time to think this through and find a way to return to the tone of previous seasons (which were not unmixed blessings, either -- lots of people hated S4 as it was airing).
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Stateside. I agree with you that the spark and sparkle was missing from Season 6. In fact I am treating it as a new show and that may be why I like its. The original movie with the Martin Banford who came to Portwenn was very different from the resulting Doc Martin TV show. I think seasons 1-4 were comprised one storyline with some comedy, some drama and spark and sparkle between the Martin and Louisa. Season 5 was the ham-fisted transition into darkness. Season 6, Episode 1 was a sop to fans to keep them watching after the disappointing (t o many) Season 5. BP changed both Martin and Louisa and brought Ruth into prominence. I have no idea what Season 7 will bring, but I do think it will be dark and dramatic. BP may reverse the episodes with Episode 1 being the pit of Martin and Louisa's relationship and pull them out to eventually end with (I hope) some spark and sparkle between them. I think that the switch to drama was to re-purpose Martin Clunes as a dramatic actor for the next phase of his career. I like what has been done but it is not the same show. The old Martin and Louisa are as dead as Aunt Joan
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I liked S6. A received my dvd from Acorn the beginning of December and have rewatched it a number of times. It grows on you. MC and CC have taken on a different tone. Their relationship is now complex, not like the fluff of S1, S2 and most of S3. Now there is JH, their marriage, their difficulties, the delving into their childhoods. I think this series which started out as a comedy and moved, inch by inch, toward drama, is a different approach than other comedy series IMO; draws me into the storyline more so than if they still played it strictly for comedy, even though there are bits of that, also. Another thing, moving the series in this direction prompts more discussion on this forum, some pro, some con . . . and gives BP and their fantastic writers more to work with in future series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    Well, I liked S6. A received my dvd from Acorn the beginning of December and have rewatched it a number of times. It grows on you. MC and CC have taken on a different tone. Their relationship is now complex, not like the fluff of S1, S2 and most of S3. Now there is JH, their marriage, their difficulties, the delving into their childhoods. I think this series which started out as a comedy and moved, inch by inch, toward drama, is a different approach than other comedy series IMO; draws me into the storyline more so than if they still played it strictly for comedy, even though there are bits of that, also. Another thing, moving the series in this direction prompts more discussion on this forum, some pro, some con . . . and gives BP and their fantastic writers more to work with in future series.

I'm with you marchrand in regards to the discussion on this forum. I enjoy the different opinions and ideas that have been brought forth.

I just got my S6 DVD yesterday and all I had time to watch last night were a couple of the bonus behind the scenes pieces. I think the actors have good insight as to what they are doing. There are still comedic moments among the darkness and that tells us that it is still DM and not a TOTALLY new show.

Time will tell as I re-watch the episodes of S6. I'm sure there will be many other nuances to pick up that weren't seen or realized the first time around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stateside. I agree with you that the spark and sparkle was missing from Season 6. In fact I am treating it as a new show and that may be why I like its. The original movie with the Martin Banford who came to Portwenn was very different from the resulting Doc Martin TV show. I think seasons 1-4 were comprised one storyline with some comedy, some drama and spark and sparkle between the Martin and Louisa. Season 5 was the ham-fisted transition into darkness. Season 6, Episode 1 was a sop to fans to keep them watching after the disappointing (t o many) Season 5. BP changed both Martin and Louisa and brought Ruth into prominence. I have no idea what Season 7 will bring, but I do think it will be dark and dramatic. BP may reverse the episodes with Episode 1 being the pit of Martin and Louisa's relationship and pull them out to eventually end with (I hope) some spark and sparkle between them. I think that the switch to drama was to re-purpose Martin Clunes as a dramatic actor for the next phase of his career. I like what has been done but it is not the same show. The old Martin and Louisa are as dead as Aunt Joan

Interesting. Thanks for this, Bloodphobia. I, too, in order to stick with S6 had to reframe it in my head. I had to watch it as another show with different characters. I also believe BP decided to give not only MC, but Caroline and Eileen, "something to act" in S6. Other than the inconsistencies in Louisa, I think they succeeded in providing that. It's just that it wasn't my show. But I acknowledge that they were certainly pursuing a darker, less lighthearted, more dour direction even in S5. Kudos to them for trying to do something different - but with the exception of E1 and 8, it disappointed me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you both. I am hopeful that s 7 will be much more upbeat and the characterisations more credible. If it is good I will just keep s1-s5 and s7 and forget s6 even existed. I did not sign on for drama, there is enough angst and depression in the world and in every other show on TV.

Still I am prepared to give PB and MC a bit of a break since they were both so sick during s6 that it is amazing they got the show out at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Really!
    Guess who's hosting HIGNFY, tomorrow? 45 minutes of MC as his own sexy self! :Dhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mkw3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with those who were not very happy with S6. I don't think I will rewatch any of it. I think the basic problem is that they thought they were ending with S5, and really had not planned out another story arc. They got the bright idea of showing the marriage getting into difficulties (which, I have to admit, was always on the cards, given their individual and joint dysfunctions); thought up a reasonable way to accomplish this, and then had too much story line to wrap up in one series, but in a sense, too little to stretch effectively. In other words -- maybe 6 episodes in S6 and 6 in S7 would have worked out better.

I didn't really like the whole turn to the dark side, but I can sort of see the logic of it, and actually feel that if they wind up the series showing DM in a better place, he and their marriage put back together, stronger for the experience, that's not an unreasonable goal.

Although, that said, I think I would have preferred that they end with S5 rather than go down the road they did. A lot depends on how they finish out S7. They have known for quite a long time, I think, that there would be a S7, so presumably they have lots of time to think this through and find a way to return to the tone of previous seasons (which were not unmixed blessings, either -- lots of people hated S4 as it was airing).

Give S6 another chance...once you take the angst in hand, you will realize that the episodes are solid DM episodes...perhaps not very funny, but solid. I have liked S6 so much better on rewatch. I was so sad initially, but E8 lends a different tone to the whole preliminary . Try it. Don't waste their good work.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm with this group of discontented viewers. Didn't like S6 at all, except for the near perfect E1. I'm also not buying the DVDs. I have no desire to watch the show over and over like the other series. So many flaws with S6 and so unenjoyable for me to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have we all recovered from out S6 elation swing to despair to ?? I vacillate from admiration of the bold new direction to disappointment over where it went.

I'm pretty certain that there is only one way to go in Series 7 and that is UP! We'll have to see more sparkle, snogging, and quirky fun (no slap stick - no more Penhale on jib cranes, thank you) as well as great acting by MC, CC, and the rest of the gang. At the end, there will be a denouement that we all will love, respect, and feel satisfying... one hopes! :)

Rob
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great ideas! I think you are so right. It is almost like a new show, it has reinvented itself. After two seasons of going into this serious tone, they probably won't go back to comedy. That is why a lot of people don't like this series. Series 6 is more naturalistic and gritty. Before, I could always step back and laugh at Martin. Now the show is close to what used to be called Kitchen Sink dramas. This series isn't a textbook case by any means, but it is more in that direction than the comedic. It is like they are forcing you to see what this couple is going through. It is painful, and MC is such a good actor that he really makes the audience look at everything and doesn't sugarcoat it. Caroline Catz makes Louisa raw and vulnerable.

Kitchen Sink dramas can be described as a type of British play of the 1950s and 1960s which showed the conflicts or unpleasant quality of home life in a realistic way. I suppose the change from the former style to the current show has been jarring for a lot of people.

I liked Louisa's "I'll miss you" line. I actually felt it said a lot more than "I love you" would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really!
    Guess who's hosting HIGNFY, tomorrow? 45 minutes of MC as his own sexy self! :Dhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mkw3

SQUEEEE!!!! Connie, will you be able to find it for us???:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give S6 another chance...once you take the angst in hand, you will realize that the episodes are solid DM episodes...perhaps not very funny, but solid. I have liked S6 so much better on rewatch. I was so sad initially, but E8 lends a different tone to the whole preliminary . Try it. Don't waste their good work.

Even E8 made me sad, but in a better way than E7, if that makes sense. It did feel like the start of a climb back up to the light. I hear you that the rest of the series is well-made enough to repay rewatching, and I may get to that, at some point. People came more to appreciate S4 in retrospect, I think.

I totally believe that S7 will continue to show them climb out of the abyss of dysfunction into a more solid marriage. (Clap your hands if you believe.....) Really, I suppose that, given how screwed up Doc Martin is, the difficulty he has with basic human interactions, to say nothing of intimate relationships, we might have expected considerable of a roller coaster ride before things settled down. Anything else would have been unrealistic and "ours is not that kind of show."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SQUEEEE!!!! Connie, will you be able to find it for us???:D:D

Australia has recently got the great "Would i I lie to you" and the IT crowd.
    Maybe 2014 will bring HIGNFY to our screens - who knows! ;-)
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even E8 made me sad, but in a better way than E7, if that makes sense. It did feel like the start of a climb back up to the light. I hear you that the rest of the series is well-made enough to repay rewatching, and I may get to that, at some point. People came more to appreciate S4 in retrospect, I think.

I totally believe that S7 will continue to show them climb out of the abyss of dysfunction into a more solid marriage. (Clap your hands if you believe.....) Really, I suppose that, given how screwed up Doc Martin is, the difficulty he has with basic human interactions, to say nothing of intimate relationships, we might have expected considerable of a roller coaster ride before things settled down. Anything else would have been unrealistic and "ours is not that kind of show."

I think even the people who most disliked S6 could enjoy the episodes more with a rewatch. I remember when I was heavily invested in a television program many years ago and was not happy with how they were treating the two main characters during one season. Every week would end with wanting to throw something at the television as the credits rolled. But the season ended on a hopeful (but not completely settled) note and during the summer I rewatched the season and found SO much to like in the episodes that I hadn't noticed in the initial watch. Sometimes you are so tensed up about what is happening in the story arc that you can't see the gems that are scattered throughtout the series.

So, perhaps a small time investment (8 x 40 minutes over the next 2 years) would allow you the chance to find some gems - now that you know where they were headed. Just a suggestion....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I think even the people who most disliked S6 could enjoy the episodes more with a rewatch. I remember when I was heavily invested in a television program many years ago and was not happy with how they were treating the two main characters during one season. Every week would end with wanting to throw something at the television as the credits rolled. But the season ended on a hopeful (but not completely settled) note and during the summer I rewatched the season and found SO much to like in the episodes that I hadn't noticed in the initial watch. Sometimes you are so tensed up about what is happening in the story arc that you can't see the gems that are scattered throughtout the series.

So, perhaps a small time investment (8 x 40 minutes over the next 2 years) would allow you the chance to find some gems - now that you know where they were headed. Just a suggestion....

That's how I'm looking at it. Now that I have the DVD in hand I can re-watch and catch some of the nuances that were missed in the initial viewing of the episodes.
This discussion has been closed.