Options

cyclists on the road

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    loonattic wrote: »
    anybody else annoyed at cyclists getting in the way everytime you are driving? im sick to death of being stuck in long lines of traffic cos the one at the front cant get past some **** on a bike.i've been seriously tempted to drive past one and nudge him off his bike loads of times.

As long as they obey the rules of the road they have as much right to be on the road as you do.

Would it be OK for a trucker to nudge you off the road because you annoy him?. Many truckers get annoyed by the behaviour and idiocy of car drivers, just as you do with some cyclists after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Cyclists are an in between bunch without any real territory - on the road you get buffoons in cars revving it up and squeezing them - in cycle lanes on the footpath you get pedestrians walking through, and then on the pavements you get militant old to middle-aged chavs on patrol - it's no wonder cyclists can be an aggressive bunch when there's useless bastards running into them from all directions.

To me it sounds like you hold the same awful attitude towards non cyclists and pedestrians that people like the OP seem to hold towards you and other cyclists.
  • Options
    smilingcat9smilingcat9 Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    anybody else annoyed at cyclists getting in the way everytime you are driving? im sick to death of being stuck in long lines of traffic cos the one at the front cant get past some **** on a bike.i've been seriously tempted to drive past one and nudge him off his bike loads of times.
    Have you ever fallen off a bike, the last time i fell it took four days of alot of pain to get over. It was dark and raining, the street lights and bike lights and viability and smack i hit the floor. AGONY. I suppose if you have a nice comfy car you have the right of way right:sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    To me it sounds like you hold the same awful attitude towards non cyclists and pedestrians that people like the OP seem to hold towards you and other cyclists.

In what way?

The OP comes out with 'Cyclists should not be on the roads because I don't like it' - no reason given.

Me: 'Cyclists are damned if they do, damned if they don't - Cycling on the roads, other cars do not follow the Highway Code and get away with it, on cycle paths - pedestrians walk through them without a care, and then on the pavement cyclists are grouped by some as trying to run them over when the statistics show this not to be the case.

I thought it was a reasoned response.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im sick to death of being stuck in long lines of traffic cos the one at the front cant get past some **** on a bike.i've been seriously tempted to drive past one and nudge him off his bike loads of times.

It's worrying that there are motorists on the road, seriously considering attempted murder. :eek:
  • Options
    bumbarbumbar Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I dont mind them too much,but its the ones who ride 2 or 3 abreast and hold up the traffic that annoy me.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok cyclists. You MUST look at this.

It applies to ALL road users INCLUDING , but especially, cyclists!!!!

Thank you
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    Ok cyclists. You MUST look at this.

It applies to ALL road users INCLUDING , but especially, cyclists!!!!

Thank you

To be precise they don't especially apply to cyclists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »
    It's worrying that there are motorists on the road, seriously considering attempted murder. :eek:

It is and it is a factor I always bear in mind when cycling on roads. Somehow these people manage to pass the driving test I presume they must lie during the theory.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    To be precise they don't especially apply to cyclists.

You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD reg 10(1)]

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837

ETA:

You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. Some junctions have an advanced stop line to enable you to wait and position yourself ahead of other traffic (see Rule 178).

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36(1)]
  • Options
    Forum Member

Absolutely they apply to cyclists and all road users. They don't especially apply to cyclists.

Unless you are saying they do I wonder why you replied to my post?
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Absolutely they apply to cyclists and all road users. They don't especially apply to cyclists.

Unless you are saying they do I wonder why you replied to my post?

My apologies. I misunderstood what you were saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My apologies. I misunderstood what you were saying.

No problem; all clear now :)
  • Options
    Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member

Exactly my attitude until I bought a bicycle last year after 20 years of driving only.
    The road is there for everyone, the cyclist is the most vulnerable by far, car drivers annoy cyclists more than the other way around.
    Oh and getting nudged off onto hard tarmac at 15-20mph is VERY nasty. Not a joking matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    88-0 so far in 2012 according to this
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Why dont cyclist use cycle paths all the time?
    I think the Warrington Cycle Campaign can put it better that me.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/January2012.htm

This country has not only become anti cyclist, but has done so with a vehemence and aggression that has to been seen to be believed.
    Every time there is an accident reported in the media, no matter how innocent and injured the cyclist is, within half a dozen posts 'road tax', insurance, and holding up cars take over and a general cyclist kicking fest ensues. In London last year a young woman was killed by a lorry driver over the alcohol limit and using his hand held phone while taking a left hand corner. Yet later that day, one forum I saw was full of comments about how "cyclist (including her) deserved everything they got. What did they expect riding in the rush hour, and while we're at it why don't they pay road tax!"
    I am what most drivers would consider a good cyclist. I am insured (£10m third party) and pay VED for a car that sits on my drive all week. I don't jump red lights or ride on the pavement, I wear hi-vis, and have plenty of lights. I always signal, frequently let others out and pass me on narrow roads.
    Yet every week I am cut up, squeezed out into the gutter and left hooked (Cars pulling just past you then turning left forcing you to slam on) From passing cars I have been sworn at, spat at and had a coke can thrown at me.
    These arseholes are the minority, if they weren't I would arrive at work, a nervous wreck, but I don't lump all drivers together.
    Yet this is what many drivers do to cyclists. They tar us all with the same brush and the vitriol has to be seen to be believed. I wish it wasn't so, but it is.
    Maybe part of the problem is that while many cyclists also drive regularly, most drivers don't cycle every week, and certainly have very little experience of what it is like to commute by bike every day in the rush hour..

How many drivers know that it is legally OK to filter on a bike? I would guess not may from the number that give you the finger or squeeze you into the gutter when they see you coming.

How many know why many riders cycle (legally) 4ft out from the endless lines of parked cars?
    Riding in the door zone with heavy traffic inches from your right elbow is suicidal.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14438520

How many drivers know that it is recommended for a cyclist to take the lane (ride in the middle)
    if at a pinch point where any passing car will otherwise try to squeeze through and pass you at 30+mph, a couple of inches from your elbow.?

How many drivers know that you are supposed to give cyclists as much room as you would a car? (ie a cars footprint)

There is very little explained to learner drivers about why cyclist do the things they do.

As a cyclist commuter I can only apologise for the arseholes we all see on bikes jumping red lights, cycling on pavements etc. The cycling fraternity hate them as much as drivers do as they get us all tarred with the same brush.

Maybe we all need to try to understand each other a bit more on this crowded little island.:)
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    they don't pay road tax though, so screw them :D
    Bingo. Only a couple of pages in and The Muppet Has Landed. Road tax!!!!! http://ipayroadtax.com

We all pay. VAT, PAYE, tobacco duty, alchohol duty, fuel duty, VED - we all pay into the pot. Your £130 doesn't entitle you to anything more or less than mine, even if I - like thousands upon of thousands of other cyclists - choose to lleave the car at home some days and ride to work. Oh didn't you know, 80% of cyclists are also drivers.

Anyway. It's another boring cycle thread. It's only going in one direction, I'll leave you all to it, recycling the same old nonsense on both sides.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is and it is a factor I always bear in mind when cycling on roads. Somehow these people manage to pass the driving test I presume they must lie during the theory.

As you're using the present tense... glad to see you're back on your bike. I have massive respect for cyclists and it's great to see even more out and about.
    I know you live in London and it's bike city but cycling round these parts was a bit of an eccentric activity until very recently.

I always like to remember not everyone driving a vehicle on the road took a driving test.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=MrQuike;61392734]As you're using the present tense... glad to see you're back on your bike. I have massive respect for cyclists and it's great to see even more out and about.
    I know you live in London and it's bike city but cycling round these parts was a bit of an eccentric activity until very recently.

I always like to remember not everyone driving a vehicle on the road took a driving test.[/QUOTE]

Yep thanks MrQ; cycling a lot again after a year of illness; mostly off road in Epping Forest but I still enjoy pounding a bit of tarmac too.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    I get annoyed when there is a cyclist approaching me and some idiot oncoming motorist decides to overtake him on my side of the road, when there really isn't enough space to do so. :eek:

Do some people have no patience ( or common sense) at all ?

This exact scenario happened to me this morning. The cyclist was nearly knocked off his bike, and I nearly ended up on the pavement, all so a man in a van could get to the red light 2 seconds quicker.

As a driver, I'd rather the roads were full of cyclists, rather than impatient nutters in cars.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    had yet another one in front of me tonight.lost my temper and slightly nudged him as i was going past.thought he was going to fall off but he managed to stay on.have to admit it gave me a bit of satisfaction seeing him in the mirror shouting at me.if more people did that,then there'd be less of them on the road getting in the way.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think everyone gets annoyed with how other road users behave, the difference is in what size form of transport you have on the road.

when im on the road in my car, people in bikes give way to me more, than people in cars give way to me, when im on my bike.

Meanwhile if I am in my car, I am more likely to give way to a bus, but when im sat on a bus, I see people giving way to the bus, and the bus drivers take advantage of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    had yet another one in front of me tonight.lost my temper and slightly nudged him as i was going past.thought he was going to fall off but he managed to stay on.have to admit it gave me a bit of satisfaction seeing him in the mirror shouting at me.if more people did that,then there'd be less of them on the road getting in the way.
    I seriously hope your joking.

Your attitude stinks, and belongs in the past.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I seriously hope your joking.

Your attitude stinks, and belongs in the past.

no im not joking.attitude stinks? belongs in the past? you wouldnt say that if you were constantly stuck behind bikes all the time when your trying to drive somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no im not joking.attitude stinks? belongs in the past? you wouldnt say that if you were constantly stuck behind bikes all the time when your trying to drive somewhere.
    please read post 73.

deliberately nudging someone on a bike, (which has little protection, with a motor vehicle, is highly dangerous to the life of the person on the bike.

Should you ever nudge someone, and they are hurt, I hope they either sue you, or press charges for driving in a way that en-dangerous life.