Sky Go error

mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
Forum Member
Trying to connect to Sky Go on my laptop and keep getting this error message:-
Apologies, this item has been interrupted due to an error.
Please click play to resume watching [t:6038 / c:4110]

OK

Any suggestions?

Comments

• popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Trying to connect to Sky Go on my laptop and keep getting this error message:-

Any suggestions?

Click play . . .
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Oh my aching ribs!
    :D
    Seriously, this is a problem that's been around in one form or another for ages, and it's a Silverlight DRM compatibility problem. Of course clicking "play" again is no use whatsoever, the error message just comes up again.
    I, and many others, had this problem for quite literally months a year or so ago, and of course Sky blamed Microsoft, and Microsoft blamed Sky.
    This went on and on for months, and it was eventually fixed, but it looks as if it's reared it's ugly head again.
    Check the Sky Help forum to see if it's an ongoing problem again.
    I hope not!
    Do first make sure that you do have the latest version of Silverlight installed (5.1.20913.0 I believe.)
    :)
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Oh my aching ribs!
    Seriously, this is a problem that's been around in one form or another for ages, and it's a Silverlight DRM compatibility problem. Of course clicking "play" again is no use whatsoever, the error message just comes up again.
    I, and many others, had this problem for quite literally months a year or so ago, and of course Sky blamed Microsoft, and Microsoft blamed Sky.
    This went on and on for months, and it was eventually fixed, but it looks as if it's reared it's ugly head again.
    Check the Sky Help forum to see if it's an ongoing problem again.
    I hope not!
    Do first make sure that you do have the latest version of Silverlight installed (5.1.20913.0 I believe.)

:D *takes a bow*

Seriously though..
    Silverlight has caused me issues in the past with OD content not playing because of compatibility & authorisation issues, its only after i played merry hell with Sky coupled with a load of 'its them not us' claims did it get resolved but im not sure how they did.

(And you're correct with regards to the latest version)

OP, what browser are you using & whats your OS?

EDIT:
    Try this, as recommended by a user on the Sky Help Forum.

1.Open Microsoft Silverlight by going to the Start Menu > All Programs > Microsoft Silverlight.
    2.Click on the Application Storage tab.
    3.Ensure the box is checked to Enable Application Storage at the bottom of the window.
    4.Select any entries in the window that mention Sky, Sky Go or Sky Player and hit the delete button to remove these entries.
    5.Click on the Playback tab and ensure the box is checked to Enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback.
    Forum Member
    Just tried myself viewing Sky News on my PC using Sky Go, and guess what, it doesn't work again for me as well!
    >:(
    My error message says 6036 instead of 6038, but it's the same problem.
    Here we go again.............
    Last time this happened, every fix suggested by Sky made no difference whatsoever.
    The issue dragged on for literally months, and eventually they did something at their end and it all suddenly started working again.
    Needless to say we were never told what the problem actually was, and how they fixed it, but I did get the impression that as it was only affecting a relatively small number of people, and it was largely (although not exclusively) those still using Windows XP, the problem fix was not really given a high priority.
    With Windows XP coming completely out of Microsoft support in April, I expect the issue will drag on long enough this time for Sky to be able to fall back on saying they no longer support the operating system, and washing their hands of it.
    :cry:
    Forum Member
    Just tried myself viewing Sky News on my PC using Sky Go, and guess what, it doesn't work again for me as well!
    Last time this happened, every fix suggested by Sky made no difference whatsoever.
    The issue dragged on for literally months, and eventually they did something at their end and it all suddenly started working again.
    Needless to say we were never told what the problem actually was, and how they fixed it, but I did get the impression that as it was only affecting a relatively small number of people, and it was largely (although not exclusively) those still using Windows XP, the problem fix was not really given a high priority.
    With Windows XP coming completely out of Microsoft support in April, I expect the issue will drag on long enough this time for Sky to be able to fall back on saying they no longer support the operating system, and washing their hands of it.

Well lets be honest, XP is very old and offering support for something as old as XP isn't financially viable.
    My issues were with Windows 7, so im not so sure its just an XP issue, but more a wider Sky issue
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Well lets be honest, XP is very old and offering support for something as old as XP isn't financially viable.
    My issues were with Windows 7, so im not so sure its just an XP issue, but more a wider Sky issue
    True, there were some Windows 7 (and Vista) users suffering the same problem.
    I hope there still are because I don't want Sky to be given an excuse not to fix it!
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    :D *takes a bow*

Seriously though..
    Silverlight has caused me issues in the past with OD content not playing because of compatibility & authorisation issues, its only after i played merry hell with Sky coupled with a load of 'its them not us' claims did it get resolved but im not sure how they did.

(And you're correct with regards to the latest version)

OP, what browser are you using & whats your OS?

EDIT:
    Try this, as recommended by a user on the Sky Help Forum.

1.Open Microsoft Silverlight by going to the Start Menu > All Programs > Microsoft Silverlight.
    3.Ensure the box is checked to Enable Application Storage at the bottom of the window.
    4.Select any entries in the window that mention Sky, Sky Go or Sky Player and hit the delete button to remove these entries.
    5.Click on the Playback tab and ensure the box is checked to Enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback.

Done - worked perfectly for one day and now I'm getting another error about devices. Think a call to Sky is on the cards tonight. :(
    Forum Member
    Done - worked perfectly for one day and now I'm getting another error about devices. Think a call to Sky is on the cards tonight. :(

Have you tried to log into SkyGo using multiple devices?
    You're allowed 2 per month...
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried to log into SkyGo using multiple devices?
    You're allowed 2 per month...

I think you are getting confused with total devices allowed and changes allowed.

You are allowed 1 change per month.

Sky Go allows 2 devices, and Sky Go Extra (£5 per month or free with Multiscreen) allows 4 devices.
  • TestingTimesTestingTimes Posts: 308
    Forum Member

6036 is a graphics/sound card update missing per Microsoft's error list. These are not the same problem. 6038 is a Silverlight storage error and 6036 is as above. Sky did implement a fix by upgrading their play ready servers, however the 6036 is a legacy problem with drivers for XP.
    Forum Member
    6036 is a graphics/sound card update missing per Microsoft's error list. These are not the same problem. 6038 is a Silverlight storage error and 6036 is as above. Sky did implement a fix by upgrading their play ready servers, however the 6036 is a legacy problem with drivers for XP.
    Yes, I remember going through all that, that it was incompatible video drivers that didn't work properly with DRM, or something like that.
    When I pointed out that the system (both Silverlight and Sky's DRM) was supposed to still be compatible with XP systems, and that I did have the last drivers available for my video card, with no upgrade possible, they went away and scratched their heads (for a few months!) and then fixed it.
    I hope they will again, because until they officially declare that Windows XP systems are no longer supported, I expect it to work!
    Forum Member
    I think you are getting confused with total devices allowed and changes allowed.

You are allowed 1 change per month.

Sky Go allows 2 devices, and Sky Go Extra (£5 per month or free with Multiscreen) allows 4 devices.

My bad...
  • swin70swin70 Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Anoyingly, for me, the problem is resolved by uninstalling Teamviewer. I use my laptop for work and pleasure, and Teamview of me is an essential tool we use on a daily bassi. Whilst I can understand the need for DRM of sorts, I think such action go to far.
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swin70 wrote: »
    Anoyingly, for me, the problem is resolved by uninstalling Teamviewer. I use my laptop for work and pleasure, and Teamview of me is an essential tool we use on a daily bassi. Whilst I can understand the need for DRM of sorts, I think such action go to far.

That could well be why i cant get Sky Go to work on any of our PCs.

I use TeamViewer for work and to remote access various computers around the house. I agree this is a bit too much just to get Sky Go working!
    Forum Member
    RileyM wrote: »
    That could well be why i cant get Sky Go to work on any of our PCs.

I use TeamViewer for work and to remote access various computers around the house. I agree this is a bit too much just to get Sky Go working!

Hi,

After a bit of uninstalling this and that, I have managed to get things working. On the Sky forums, someone mentioned to:

Uninstall silverlight
    Uninstall teamviewer
    Reinstall silverlight
    Reinstall teamviewer

I had not quite followed the order above, but in essence, I had uninstalled and re-installed sliverlight (which made no difference), then uninstalled Teamviewer. At this point things started working. I then reinstalled Teamviewer (just happened to be watching Sky in the background) and everything continued to work, even after a reboot. So, all OK for me!
    Forum Member
    Not on though that another piece of software is causing SkyGo to act up....
    Forum Member
    I think the fundamental problem here is that Teamviewer presumably potentially allows you to watch the computer's display in other places, which the Sky Go DRM implementation blocks.
    One of the many problems I had with Sky Go on my computer was being caused simply by having two monitors connected to it.
    When I disabled one of them in the Display Properties, it all came to life!
    Forum Member
    I think the fundamental problem here is that Teamviewer presumably potentially allows you to watch the computer's display in other places, which the Sky Go DRM implementation blocks.
    One of the many problems I had with Sky Go on my computer was being caused simply by having two monitors connected to it.
    When I disabled one of them in the Display Properties, it all came to life!

The really annoying thing here is that in the first instant, even shutting down TeamViewer and stopping the service wasn't enough to get SkyGo working.I had to uninstall. Still, after the re-jigging, all is now OK - SkyGo figure.

I would test my twin screen laptop, by SkyGO refuses to recognise is as a valid device, as it did for my other laptop with Teamviewer issues yesterday, so I have already used my allotted 1 change for this month :(
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member

You can watch Sky News HD live on Youtube, just in case you want to and Sky Go isn't working again.
    Forum Member
    You can watch Sky News HD live on Youtube, just in case you want to and Sky Go isn't working again.
    I posted that two years ago!
    Actually the one channel there isn't a problem with generally on Sky Go now is Sky News, presumably because it's no longer DRM protected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I had this issue when I (otherwise VERY successfully) upgraded form win7 Ultimate to win10 pro.... 3 months of pain.

Solution was based on a variant of the Sky Help forums and some other guides:
    5.Then in a CMD window, I ran: "rename mspr.hds mspr.hds.old"

Then relaunched Sky Go and although there was a blip of a new error on first launch, it quickly downloaded new security software and it has been perfect ever since.