Does Amy really work as a companion ?

13»

Comments

• mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im going to wait and see if the new series amy is any different since her past was changed in the last..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    That sounds like series 2 Rose to me....;)

I have to agree.

Amy and Rose are similar, but I think it's down to the actors personality whether you like one or the other.

I like Amy. I never liked Rose. Both, are at times smug, and both treated their boyfriends like dirt.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I just cannot warm to Amy. I want to - but she is just not a Sarah Jane or Donna in my eyes. I think the addition of Rory might tweak the companion-side of things immensely.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I have to agree.

Amy and Rose are similar, but I think it's down to the actors personality whether you like one or the other.

I like Amy. I never liked Rose. Both, are at times smug, and both treated their boyfriends like dirt.

I liked Rose and also like Amy. The only companion I never took to was Donna, an unpopular view to hold on here but I never liked her - yes she was better than I expected after the awful Runnaway Bride, but I was never a fan. Any on the other hand I took to straight away and think she's excellent :)
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I don't think she has a good a connexion with people as other companions have. She'sOK but not great. I wonder if the Doctor's comment at the end of the Christmas special (something like "think have to end, otherwise you wouldn't start anything" maybe a portent of a new companion?
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    I don't think she has a good a connexion with people as other companions have. She'sOK but not great. I wonder if the Doctor's comment at the end of the Christmas special (something like "think have to end, otherwise you wouldn't start anything" maybe a portent of a new companion?

It was 'things have to end', and it was aimed specifically at Sardick, nothing to do with Amy.
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE POND

Come on, if you were the travelling companion of the Doctor wouldnt you be a little smug...I bloody well would

And to say "i cant help thinking that Rory was taken onboard aswell, purely because Amy just wasnt holding up on her own." is utter rubbish
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE POND

Come on, if you were the travelling companion of the Doctor wouldnt you be a little smug...I bloody well would

And to say "i cant help thinking that Rory was taken onboard aswell, purely because Amy just wasnt holding up on her own." is utter rubbish

It is. Particularly given that the whole series would have been planned out before any of it was filmed.
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is. Particularly given that the whole series would have been planned out before any of it was filmed.

Exactly. i have visions of them making a panicked call to Karen, Matt and Arthur at three in the morning saying "Amy isnt going as well as we'd hoped....quick lets film lots of pick ups and say Rory was there all along"

At the end of the day he was a pretty big plot point throughout the series
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy is a great companion. I don't think we were meant to fall in love with her straight away. There are many layers to her, and it wasn't until we got to the Big Bang that the real Amy was revealed.

I didn't like River Song in the library two parter. I didn't much like Amy at the beginning of series 5. I love River Song now, and I like Amy very much indeed. I think SM is writing some very complex characters and I think it's brilliant.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    As I've said before, I love the character of Amy. I don't always like her. At times she's annoying, does stupid things, hurts people she cares about. That just makes her more interesting to me.

You can clearly see the arc in her character as it happens. The times when she shuts downs and gets defensive, contrasting with the times when her defences are stripped away - tests she would never have been put through if it wasn't for the Doctor. That contrast of strength and vulnerability is not an easy one to portray.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    This. She's far too like Tegan for my liking, it may not be her fault but I don't get on with abrasive and shouty people in real life and that's how she came over for most of the series. Yes I understand the reasons given her background etc etc and she did grow up towards the end of the series but then spent all her scenes in the Special shrieking 'Doctor, do something!' or similar, which didn't really add much.

Tegan was one of my favourite companions too. I quite like a somewhat stroppy companion.

I think Amy's a terrific companion, one of the best. Rory is great too, the best New Who male companion.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I LOVE POND

Exactly. If that's the case we can say the same for Rose, that she wasn't working so they brought in Adam, Mickey and Jack.

Personally I really like Amy. I'd say she's my favourite companion since Sarah Jane and to some extent Turlough.

I think there is a great dynamic between The Doctor, Amy and Rory, and even when Rory isn't around Amy doesn't seem to be so annoyingly mezmerized by The Doctor (which I actually think is a plot point to do with series 6 (spoiler quote:
    "The true nature of the relationship between The Doctor and Amy."
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    It was 'things have to end', and it was aimed specifically at Sardick, nothing to do with Amy.

Oops - my bad re. the typo.

I realise he said it about Sardick but I wonder as it seemed to me to be a very deliberate line. It seemed to be quite pointed, and from memory Amy seemed to react to it. Just my take, of course...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Agreed with one of the comments above, about Donna's moments of brilliance (in Doctor's Daughter and Sontaran Stratagem) feeling a bit contrived. The DD one annoyed me because the Doctor is good with numbers too, so I had to suspend my disbelief when Donna worked it out before him. Having said that, Amy's moments in Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks felt very human to me, and very Amy. She's more impulsive than the others. IMO Rose always seemed to be getting herself into trouble, while Amy is a daredevil holding her own.

I still don't like Amy that much, because she's walled me out :cry:. Nah, actually it's because I haven't seen her teeth yet. Rose's were crooked (so were Ten's, actually), Martha's were slightly too big and Donna's teeth reminded me of my aunt's. Basically, they felt more real to me because of their 'flawed' teeth (Don't flame me!). Amy needs a good, close-up toothy grin. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not Amy's biggest fan, but when her and Rory are together I think she's great; I kind of put it down to her growing on me rather than needing Rory to be likeable. I think her and Rory together are fantastic because he brings Amy down a bit, she went from thinking she knew everything to having someone with her who knows she doesn't, so she couldn't pretend anymore (and similarly with her feelings "I don't care" becomes "I can't pretend I don't care", because Rory knows she does). And against Matt's doctor, they're both fantastic, as Matt is so asexual but Rory is so protective and jealous at first anyway, until he gives up and realises what the deal is. And I agree that Rory's comic timing is fabulous!

I think my main initial problem with Amy was probably how much I loved Donna, I wanted her to travel with all incarnations of the doctor forever more :) but you have no idea how much I was against the idea of Catherine Tate as full time companion after Runaway Bride, so I imagine Amy will continue to grow on me; looking forward to a rewatch of series 5 (only seen it once, shameful!) and series 6 - I hope both Karen and Rory stay on for all of it, and throw in a bit of River Song... perfick!!

Sorry, essay :o
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's literally the only companion I've seen but I think she's brilliant (not to mention Karen is a sweetheart :) ) I like the way Amy and The Doctor bounce off each other. I wasn't too fond of Rory at first but he's grown on me a lot watching the series back but no I defo think Amy works, don't know if I'll think the same when I've seen other companions or if because of the order I've watched then I'll find the likes of Rose and Donna bad :eek:
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    It's a weakness in the show for me. Where as Rose, Martha and Donna were set in a 'real world' environment (which I think is important for a companion), Amy has been given a 'fairy tale' back story which has weakened her character.

I think it made her less easy to care about because I don't see her as being as real a person as a companion should be. She certainly seems far too comfortable with the whole experience and lacks the wonder that other companions have had.

If anything, Rory seems a more real character for me and I think his inclusion has strengthened the show.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I watched season 5 again as I felt I was prehaps being a little bit harsh on Amy.

Well......aside from the Van Gogh episode where she actually made me cry & her reaction to seeing rory again in the museum she still pretty much irritated me and it annoys me that I can't figure out why.
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    She certainly seems far too comfortable with the whole experience and lacks the wonder that other companions have had.

If anything, Rory seems a more real character for me and I think his inclusion has strengthened the show.
    Really? Have you watched her expression when she's presented with something new?

If anything, Rory reacts without any wonder at all - hesitation, disbelief and fear, maybe. Still love him for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Have you watched her expression when she's presented with something new?

If anything, Rory reacts without any wonder at all - hesitation, disbelief and fear, maybe. Still love him for it.

See I think this is part of the problem for some people (not me, I adore Amy)... she's played in VERY subtle ways in a lot of cases. It's more about expression and body language than simply telling the audience how the character feels and I think it's being missed by some for whatever reason. Example: the end of Amy's Choice, everything you need to know about the character, her fear of being abandoned and, therefore, long term commitment is right there. Should be a great moment for her, the 'yes, I couldn't live without you' moment to prove to Rory she loves him but she's looking away, almost hunched in on herself because she's afraid of admitting that to him as she'll have to let her guard down. It's a wonderful bit of acting (which, incidentily, punctures a great big hole in those silly can't act claims) but it's also relatively subtle and I can understand why it'd pass people by.

Actually, maybe a better example, look at the way Amy is around Rory and comapre with Christmas Carol. She's FAR more comfortable with him then and the body language (once the immeidate threat of splating onto an alien world has passed) is far more relaxed and generally happy.

Eh, it's just a theory of course, feel free to ignore it :D
    Forum Member
    Example: the end of Amy's Choice, everything you need to know about the character, her fear of being abandoned and, therefore, long term commitment is right there. Should be a great moment for her, the 'yes, I couldn't live without you' moment to prove to Rory she loves him but she's looking away, almost hunched in on herself because she's afraid of admitting that to him as she'll have to let her guard down. It's a wonderful bit of acting (which, incidentily, punctures a great big hole in those silly can't act claims) but it's also relatively subtle and I can understand why it'd pass people by.
    Other examples: Amy's introduction to the war rooms, her reaction with the Doctor to the discovery of vampires in Venice.

It can be summed up very simply. When you finally meet your childhood hero, you act cool. She's still a little girl on the inside, the one that bites her psychologists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other examples: Amy's introduction to the war rooms, her reaction with the Doctor to the discovery of vampires in Venice.

It can be summed up very simply. When you finally meet your childhood hero, you act cool. She's still a little girl on the inside, the one that bites her psychologists.

Yeah, this, much simpler (and better) way of putting it than my essay :D

On the Dalek episode it's her reaction to seeing wartime London that sticks in my mind. She can't actually get the words out but there's SO much emotion in her voice and face you know she's going through... well, exactly what any of US would go through when faced with that scene. And the Doctor's "History" reply is just perfect, good and bad mixed together with 900+ years of experience added in.