Options

Eurosport Football

singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They didn't show the Ghana vs Tunisia match because of Snooker and now they missed the first 15 mins of the Ivory Coast v Egypt match. Where has the Snooker come from?

Comments

• Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »
    They didn't show the Ghana vs Tunisia match because of Snooker and now they missed the first 15 mins of the Ivory Coast v Egypt match. Where has the Snooker come from?

Alexandra Palace.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can't predict how long a LIVE EVENT takes, and since eurosport only has two channels, that's just your luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    you can't predict how long a LIVE EVENT takes, and since eurosport only has two channels, that's just your luck

So you mean to say the Snooker went on for hours. I didn't see it on the EPG hours ago?
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They missed the start of Ivory Coast vs Egypt because the snooker overran.

Yesterday afternoon on Twitter they said they wouldn't be showing Ghana vs Tunisia because of technical issues (I presume with the host feed), the snooker was replacement programming
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    They missed the start of Ivory Coast vs Egypt because the snooker overran.

Yesterday afternoon on Twitter they said they wouldn't be showing Ghana vs Tunisia because of technical issues (I presume with the host feed), the snooker was replacement programming

Ok thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice Eurosport are showing the opening match of the African Nations Cup between South Africa and Cape Verde on Saturday,kick off 4.00pm-which is during the black-out period. From previous discussion,matches which are exempt and may be shown during the blocked hours are:

1. Any match involving the senior national team
    2. Any match which,under local law,must be shown FTA
    3. Any other match of national importance.

I don't see how this match falls into any of the three categories and would therefore argue that Eurosport may be in breach of the directive by showing it here.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they probably are!

However I seriously doubt anyone who would go to a match on that Saturday is seriously then going to think: "Oh hang on, South Africa v Cape Verde is on Eurosport, lets stay here instead!"
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I notice Eurosport are showing the opening match of the African Nations Cup between South Africa and Cape Verde on Saturday,kick off 4.00pm-which is during the black-out period. From previous discussion,matches which are exempt and may be shown during the blocked hours are:

I don't see how this match falls into any of the three categories and would therefore argue that Eurosport may be in breach of the directive by showing it here.

ITV4 are also showing this game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »

Yes they probably are!

However I seriously doubt anyone who would go to a match on that Saturday is seriously then going to think: "Oh hang on, South Africa v Cape Verde is on Eurosport, lets stay here instead!"

The blocked broadcast statute only relates to games under the jurisdiction of UEFA and its national federations

ITV4 and Eurosport are able to show the African Cup of Nations as it's organised by the Confederation of African Football and so falls outside the blackout
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    The blocked broadcast statute only relates to games under the jurisdiction of UEFA and its national federations

ITV4 and Eurosport are able to show the African Cup of Nations as it's organised by the Confederation of African Football and so falls outside the blackout

Wrong. It it relates to games shown on television in countries under the jurisdiction of national federations which are UEFA members, regardless of where the game is being played.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Wrong. It it relates to games shown on television in countries under the jurisdiction of national federations which are UEFA members, regardless of where the game is being played.

UEFA say in part 1 of the regulations implementing Article 48
    UEFA, its member associations, their affiliated organizations and clubs are the holders of the exclusive television rights of football matches which are organised and take place under their respective jurisdiction.

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/88494.pdf

Doesn't the ACN as a result fall outside of this as it's neither organised by or takes place under the jurisdiction of UEFA or the FA?
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. I suspect anyone who would give going to a match a miss to watch this probably isn't that committed to their side in the first place :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Indeed. I suspect anyone who would give going to a match a miss to watch this probably isn't that committed to their side in the first place :D

Spot on. :D

As for being in breech of this or breech of that, who cares? It's on. Arf!
  • Options
    Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pathetic channel when it comes to football. It has been the case for most of the past 20 or so years, World Cup 1998 and selected other times being the exceptions.
  • Options
    Andy79Andy79 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    A pathetic channel when it comes to football. It has been the case for most of the past 20 or so years, World Cup 1998 and selected other times being the exceptions.

To be fair, it depends what you term as 'pathetic'. They obviously can't show the top, top football, ie top Euro Leagues, CL etc, but when they do show a tournament, be it African Nations Cup, youth tournaments, women's World Cup, don't think they can be accused of being pathetic.

The scant league rights they do hold ie Far East & Asian football, they could be more committed in terms of comprehensiveness of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'Pathetic' is a subjective opinion. I'm quite looking forward to watching the U21 Premier League games, when Eurosport shortly becomes available on my platform. But for me too, it will be a 'filler' sports channel. So point taken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to live games late and generally poor coverage. I ain't for turning on my pathetic jibe - sorry!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to live games late and generally poor coverage. I ain't for turning on my pathetic jibe - sorry!

I like a man who stands by his convictions! LOL :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..........stands by it then says sorry for doing so! I can't take the channel seriously when it comes to football.
  • Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that live sport as already pointed out can be very difficult to schedule in.

If we deem Europsport pathetic for this reason, and I sympathise with the poster's feelings in regards to this, we can also add in ESPN UK and Premier Sports into the same bracket. I had hoped to watch NEC-PSV before Christmas but found that the Brisbane final of the tennis had over-run so I never got any coverage...but the Dutch football was pre-recorded - the tennis wasn't. They aren't going to break away from Andy Murray in the final set of a live tennis match to show Dutch football. Does that make ESPN pathetic?

I suggest not...it is merely the fickle nature of live sport for broadcasters that don't have enough bandwidth to cover all the events they sign up to show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have to agree. They still seem to be in a broom cupboard and you can hear the flicking of their papers during the offtube commentary. World Cup 1998 shouldn't really be counted as it was in France and Eurosport is a French channel so they were able to have unrivaled coverage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree. They still seem to be in a broom cupboard and you can hear the flicking of their papers during the offtube commentary. World Cup 1998 shouldn't really be counted as it was in France and Eurosport is a French channel so they were able to have unrivaled coverage.

What do you mean by a French channel? Is British Eurosport a French channel?
  • Options
    ElliotSaundersElliotSaunders Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    'Pathetic' is a subjective opinion. I'm quite looking forward to watching the U21 Premier League games, when Eurosport shortly becomes available on my platform. But for me too, it will be a 'filler' sports channel. So point taken.

I wasn't aware the under 21 premier league games were available and would love to watch them on Eurosport but a google search brought up no information. Do you know when they are on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware the under 21 premier league games were available and would love to watch them on Eurosport but a google search brought up no information. Do you know when they are on?

I only remember reading it in a TV guide a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    I only remember reading it in a TV guide a few weeks ago.

Is it possible that you read about the NextGen series being on Eurosport?