DVD Recorder

Hello, I'm looking to find a cheapish DVD recorder, as in a DVD player that I can connect to the TV and record onto disk format what's showing on the tv. I had a look earlier but I could only find ones that had built in hard drives and recorded to that but I want to be able to record to a blank disk.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a suitable product?

Many thanks, Elliot.

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't find one these days which can't also record to hard drive - as
    (1) hardly anybody makes them anymore, only LG and Panasonic I think since Toshiba, Sony and Philips pulled out of the market and
    (2) it makes most sense to record to hard drive first, edit the recording by removing adverts etc then burn to DVD disc once you are happy with the editing. That is why no manufacturer in their right mind would sell a DVD recorder which didn't contain a hard drive of some kind built into it.

Once burned to DVD you can delete the archive from the hard drive if you want to.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will be hard pressed to find a DVD recorder without hard drive these days. But it is absolutely no problem whatsoever. You can record to hard drive then copy the recording to disk afterwards. You may even have some basic edit functions on the machine, eg to chop out all the ad breaks.

But even if there is a hard drive in the machine it in no way prevents you creating a DVD disk copy.

And by the way the recorder uses it's own tuner(s) to record TV programmes. It does not use the TV for anything other than displaying what it is doing.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,517
    Forum Member
    While the recorder can use its own tuners and this is far and away the most convenvient way you can also record from an external source but that is more useful for recording from a satellite/Sky or cable/Virgin box or from existing recordings on another PVR or from a camcorder than from the TV set though.
  • ElliotSaundersElliotSaunders Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replies guys, I didn't mean one without a hardrive - I just mean one where I can record to disk as well but I did a quick search and couldn't find any mention of recording to disk on the ones with hardrives.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,517
    Forum Member
    I think the ability to record direct to DVD is a gibbon.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly - a DVD recorder which can't record to DVD isn't a DVD recorder.
  • The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a decentish Sony one without a HDD for £18 recently fom Cash Converters as I want to record stuff from my Sky+ box to keep. Works like a dream and it is the size of a house :) although it only seems to like blank DVDs from the pound shop!