Kings Cross To Waterloo via Tube?

ElliotSaundersElliotSaunders Posts: 403
Forum Member
Hello,

Just a quick question - how long roughly does it take to get from Kings Cross To Waterloo? according to the trainline where I had booked some tickets, that leg of the journey is over an hour, does it really take that long? :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 15 mins, Victoria line to Oxford Circus then Bakerloo line.

TFL journey planner:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Just a quick question - how long roughly does it take to get from Kings Cross To Waterloo? according to the trainline where I had booked some tickets, that leg of the journey is over an hour, does it really take that long? :confused:

You could walk between the stations in an hour.
  • alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    About 15 mins, Victoria line to Oxford Circus then Bakerloo line.

TFL journey planner:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

........or Piccadilly to Leicester Square, and then the Northern down to Waterloo.

Hey! This isn't a game of Mornington Crescent, is it? :D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

If it's a middle leg, and you're catching an onward train from Waterloo it could simply be that the onward connections are hourly.

So for example you arrive @ KC 17:00 and the trainline allows 20 mins for the connection so estimates you arrive @ W 17:20.

Now if the trains leave waterloo at 17:15, 18:15 etc then it will show you departing on the 18:15

Best bet is to look at the individual legs of the journey as you may well have to wait around that long
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest Kings Cross (Northern Line) to Waterloo (Northern Line) you will need to go back one station to Camden Town and change from the Bank Branch of the Northern Line to the Charing Cross Branch of the Northern Line, but it's just, just across to the adjacent platform - the journey should in total be no more that 15/20mins. I do this journey about 3 times a week :)
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alycidon wrote: »
    Hey! This isn't a game of Mornington Crescent, is it? :D
    Modified Digital Spy rules - routes via South Kensington have double score.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would get a 45 or 63 bus from outside Kings Cross get off at Soutwark Station (about 15-20 on the bus) and walk from there to Waterloo (takes about 5 minutes)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you're not coming on Sunday you can take the Northern Line from King's Cross to Bank, then use the Waterloo & City Line as it's one stop from Bank to Waterloo. It's quite quick and the Waterloo & City is less busy than other lines especially if you've got suitcases etc.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Modified Digital Spy rules - routes via South Kensington have double score.

But only on a Wednesday and the second Monday of each month.
  • EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having done that last year it takes about 30 mins unless your really lucky and you arrive at each platform with a train waiting.

Alternatively just walk to Euston and catch one tube train.

Also factor in that if your not a regular tube traveller you will probably have to stop to read signs.
  • DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have heavy cases of any kind then Victoria to Oxford Circus and then Bakerloo is the easiest as it is 20 yard stepless changeover.
  • ElliotSaundersElliotSaunders Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all you're replies, I'm not a regular tube user so I'm a bit clueless about it all. I've done a bit of looking around on the tfl website but I can't seem to figure out which travel zone card I need for this trip? The tickets I booked online don't come with a pass for the tube so I was going to buy an all day one online, I'm just unsure on which zones to get.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all you're replies, I'm not a regular tube user so I'm a bit clueless about it all. I've done a bit of looking around on the tfl website but I can't seem to figure out which travel zone card I need for this trip? The tickets I booked online don't come with a pass for the tube so I was going to buy an all day one online, I'm just unsure on which zones to get.

Both stations are in Zone 1 so as long as you don't go outside Zone 1 (no sensible journey suggestion for this particular journey will take you outside of Zone 1) you just need to get a ticket/Travelcard or Oyster Pre-Pay to cover that journey.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, the trainline allows for an hour to take any Tube journey in London just to make sure you don't miss your onward connection. That's why I always book tickets separately when I know it doesn't take nearly that long.

And just as an aside, don't use the trainline to book tickets in future, they charge booking fees and all sorts that the train companies themselves and national express don't. You can book on any train company's website even if you're not going to be using one of their trains, so the likes of East Coast, East Midlands and First Great Western are better sites to book on as they don't even charge postage :)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll find that getting down to the tube at King's Cross, and coming up again at Waterloo, add a considerable time.

If your train from Waterloo stops at Vauxhall, then the Victoria line from KX to there is both frequent and speedy. The only drawback is that some of the platforms at Vauxhall are up steep flights of steps.

I hate the tube, and usally use the 59 bus for that journey.

You pick it up across the main road from the station, and it drops you off across the road from Waterloo. It runs every 6-7 minutes, though journey time can't be predicted. From 20 minutes upwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEmmerson wrote: »
    If you have heavy cases of any kind then Victoria to Oxford Circus and then Bakerloo is the easiest as it is 20 yard stepless changeover.
    This is the best way to do it. I do this often and it's by far the easiest change over as you just nip from one platform to the other at Oxford Circus.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the best way to do it. I do this often and it's by far the easiest change over as you just nip from one platform to the other at Oxford Circus.

I agree too. If you walk to Euston there's a fair few steps, not good with luggage. If you change at Bank for Waterloo and City, there's a long walk between lines.

I'd say 30 minutes is a good estimate from train station to train station. Remember it takes a good 5-8 minutes to get from train platform at Kings Cross to tube platform and then there's waiting for the train too. At Waterloo it's not so large so won't take as long to get from tube to train station.