Matt Cardle: One Direction and JLS are puppets

LunarLegendLunarLegend Posts: 3,489
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since winning the X Factor in 2010, Matt Cardle had to watch on as third place runner's up One Direction took the world by storm, leaving him in their wake.

Matt's opinion on the X Factor has been well documented, taking every opportunity available to him to distance himself from the reality show.

Talking to The Mirror's Dean Piper today, Matt admitted that his initial record deal with Syco and Columbia was never going to work because unlike One Direction, he was far too independent.

He said: "I was never going to be your JLS or One Direction, where songs are written for them and you're a puppet."

"I was always a different guy. People behind the scenes knew I wasn't some puppet and I never felt like one."

When it emerged in the press that Matt had parted ways with the Sony label, people assumed it was because he had been dropped.

Matt however has set the record straight, saying that he had made the decision to leave.

He explained: "I was given the opportunity to stay at Sony, do some writing and 'see how it was going to go' or walk away and go it alone. And I chose to walk."

Matt's debut album 'Letters', although selling well, didn't even come close to surpassing the UK sales of Rebecca Ferguson and One Direction's albums.

The singer is adamant, however, that his album was not the flop people have made it out to be.

He stated: "With a major record label it works for some people and not for others. It did work for me initially and it's not like I sold 10 copies. I went platinum and sold over 300,000 copies. That's not a flop."

http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/gossip/the-juice/matt-cardle-one-direction-jls-puppets-120039399.html

Comments

• shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Hmm nothing we haven't heard before. But what about Rebecca Ferguson? She did better than him and is no 'puppet'..but he failed to mention her ;)
  • bazztheman93bazztheman93 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Credible Cardle strikes again, however somethings he said r true, but look at Rebecca she is an album artist and sold more herself by writing the songs herself!
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    Well he is right about 1D and JLS. That sort of success means so much more if it's your own work and you're not just told what to do.

But then again, you don't go on a Simon Cowell show and not want to be a puppet.
    Forum Member
    Yeah but he's basically saying he was less successful because he was not a puppet. His material was just not strong enough imo.
  • fribbletfribblet Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X Factor missed a golden opportunity with Matt

Instead of signing him and him inevitably flopping, why not give a record contract to his band Seven Summers?? They could've been huge!

Such a waste..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh Credible Cardle.. it's been a while
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Yeah but he's basically saying he was less successful because he was not a puppet. His material was just not strong enough imo.

I imagine he, as well as many others, would prefer to be less successful with his own material than be a mega successful puppet.
    fribblet wrote: »
    X Factor missed a golden opportunity with Matt

Instead of signing him and him inevitably flopping, why not give a record contract to his band Seven Summers?? They could've been huge!

Such a waste..

Indeed, that would have been amazing!
  • LunarLegendLunarLegend Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    X Factor 2010 winner Matt Cardle has revealed the title and release date of his second album.

Cardle - who left his former label Columbia Records in May - has signed with indie label So Recordings, part of the Silva Screen Music Group, and will release his new album The Fire on October 29.

"Hey guys! So happy to say my new album is out October 29th!! #TheFire : ) xx," he tweeted this morning (September 9), before updating his avatar on the site to show the cover art.

According to the 29-year-old's official website, the first single from the album is titled 'It's Only Love' and fans will be able to hear the track from next week. 'It's Only Love' will also be released on October 29.

Cardle's debut album Letters reached platinum status in February after shipping 300,000 copies.

The So Recordings website says that The Fire was "written and recorded in London, Toronto and Los Angeles" and that "Cardle produced the album and plays most of the instruments himself".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a404776/matt-cardle-announces-the-fire-release-date.html
  • sorlosorlo Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people really take an offence over nothing. He said JLS, 1D (and himself included) are puppets to mean that Simon is having so much control in the music - effectively pulling all the strings, and that's not what he wanted so hence the departure. He didn't say they were muppets - now that would be a derogatory word.
    He didn't say that. Your mind is playing tricks on you.
  • chosenturbochosenturbo Posts: 8,832
    Forum Member
    Here is the original Mirror article in full :)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma2rphxxgB1qg71qao1_500.jpg
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    Linseyap wrote: »
    I imagine he, as well as many others, would prefer to be less successful with his own material than be a mega successful puppet.

That's definitely true.
    While I'm sure many would like money and success, some would feel incredibly frustrated and trapped having all their actions dictated by someone else. They'd probably end up feeling very miserable and wanting to throw in the towel.

Plus I'm sure there's nothing more rewarding than releasing your own material to the world, than simply singing someone else's song. Even though not following 'The Simon Cowell rulebook for a quick route to fame' would likely mean less mainstream success.
    Forum Member
    sorlo wrote: »
    Some people really take an offence over nothing. He said JLS, 1D (and himself included) are puppets to mean that Simon is having so much control in the music - effectively pulling all the strings, and that's not what he wanted so hence the departure. He didn't say they were muppets - now that would be a derogatory word.

He didn't say that. Your mind is playing tricks on you.

Well it sort of implies that, just my opinion. Anyway good luck to him and his next album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the original Mirror article in full :)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma2rphxxgB1qg71qao1_500.jpg

He does indeed say he was a puppet:)

Lovely artwork on the album cover.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320216_486214358056864_1956870888_n.jpg
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much better without the stupid cap! Looking good Mr Cardle!
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Matt and wish him well but he does have foot in the mouth disease. He may think these things but he really shouldn't say them!

1D and JLS are both boy bands, different thing entirelyso perhaps not a good comparison. Although I believe JLS write a lot of their own material

I very much hope this album is much better than the last or this may come back to haunt him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I like Matt and wish him well but he does have foot in the mouth disease. He may think these things but he really shouldn't say them!

1D and JLS are both boy bands, different thing entirelyso perhaps not a good comparison. Although I believe JLS write a lot of their own material

I very much hope this album is much better than the last or this may come back to haunt him

He does point that out in the original Mirror article:) At least, he seems to have created this one on his own terms wherever it may land.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't sell over 300 000 copies like he claims. It was shipped over 300 000 copies of his album that's why it went platinum. But I agree about his 'puppets' remarks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frank5 wrote: »
    He didn't sell over 300 000 copies like he claims. It was shipped over 300 000 copies of his album that's why it went platinum. But I agree about his 'puppets' remarks :)

He may well have sold over 300,000 copies and be telling the truth. Music Week and the OCC only count UK sales, I know tons of people on twitter who have had it shipped abroad through Amazon and Play.com. He has loads of non UK fans so it highly possible that he has:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He may well have sold over 300,000 copies and be telling the truth. Music Week and the OCC only count UK sales, I know tons of people on twitter who have had it shipped abroad through Amazon and Play.com. He has loads of non UK fans so it highly possible that he has:)

But shouldn't it still count as sold in UK, because it's bought from UK retailers, no matter that it was shipped abroad? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt, like Shayne was completely wasted.
  • madmoussemadmousse Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Bex. wrote: »
    oh Credible Cardle.. it's been a while

Now signed to So What Records...:)
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »

not entirely. Boybands still perform songs wot need to be writted, and if there's 4 or 5 of you you should be able to find at least one who can do the job...so even less excuse for being puppets;)

anyhow, what's that album sleeve all about - horrible!!:o
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy is as dim as ever. He still has a bit of money to live off, just give it another year when all the money runs out.:p
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Matt, like Shayne was completely wasted.

Shayne was talented, Matt on the other hand was just a waste of space.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at the end of the day, who is famous and worth £5 million??

Yup, Ill be a puppet any day!