Live and let live but........

maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
Forum Member
....I have just come from the naffest house ever! I will probably get lambasted for this but I am in shock and need to share! I am sooo not a snob at all and I realise that everyone has different tastes but I feel as though I have just come from a time warp!

The couple that own the house are not old (they are both 38) and they both work and are notshort of money (although even those short of money wouldn't have half the things I have just witnessed). They have a very small living room but have chosen to decorate it with every pattern imaginable which only serves to make it look so much smaller. All four walls have small but VERY busy red/white and black flowers on them. Their settee is also patterned with flowers (green,purple and lilac) and they have a dvd/cd collection dating back to the 80's which is displayed by long black ash shelves on every wall (and in alphabetical order). They even have a waste paper basket sitting in the corner of the living room which hasn't escaped decoration, proudly displaying a black silk home-made cover with a white frill at the top.

I don't know this couple, only met them for the first time tonight and ended up in their house through the new year celebrations but I was shocked...that is all.

Comments

• U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I call BS on this one.Remember me?.:D
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    I call BS on this one.

Lol U96.....when I re-read my message I thought the same but it's all true...honest. You're just saying that cos I said the same thing to you re the bin lorry post. :p

Ooh... you edited. Yes I remember :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol U96.....when I re-read my message I thought the same but it's all true...honest.

You are Laurence Llewlyn Bowen and I claim my £10.
    Forum Member
    You are Laurence Llewllyn Bowen and I claim my £10.

I think it would have been to Laurence's taste tbh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol U96.....when I re-read my message I thought the same but it's all true...honest. You're just saying that cos I said the same thing to you re the bin lorry post. :p

Ooh... you edited. Yes I remember :)

No worries.It's what I think I saw.I like your posts by the way.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would have been to Laurence's taste tbh

Yes,he is a bit of a Dandy!.He's about ages with me,but with more hair.He should be greatful for his lions mane.>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste. I'm curious though; when was all this fashionable? I can't bring the time to mind.
    Forum Member
    No worries.It's what I think I saw.I like your posts by the way.:cool:

I like yours too (apart from the BS one of course lol ;-)). Happy New Year to you :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like yours too (apart from the BS one of course lol ;-)). Happy New Year to you :D

You too pal.I gave Jackie Bird and Co a miss tonight.Same old same old 'charge your glasses' etc. Phil and Ally and all that accordion bollocks.:p
    Forum Member
    Dolls wrote: »
    Well, as the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste. I'm curious though; when was all this fashionable? I can't bring the time to mind.

You may be younger than me Dolls, I think it was fashionable way way back!
    Forum Member
    You too pal.I gave Jackie Bird and Co a miss tonight.Same old same old 'charge your glasses' etc. Phil and Ally and all that accordion bollocks.:p

yeah it's the same every year...soo depressing! The fireworks were good though
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    ....I have just come from the naffest house ever! I will probably get lambasted for this but I am in shock and need to share! I am sooo not a snob at all and I realise that everyone has different tastes but I feel as though I have just come from a time warp!

The couple that own the house are not old (they are both 38) and they both work and are notshort of money (although even those short of money wouldn't have half the things I have just witnessed). They have a very small living room but have chosen to decorate it with every pattern imaginable which only serves to make it look so much smaller. All four walls have small but VERY busy red/white and black flowers on them. Their settee is also patterned with flowers (green,purple and lilac) and they have a dvd/cd collection dating back to the 80's which is displayed by long black ash shelves on every wall (and in alphabetical order). They even have a waste paper basket sitting in the corner of the living room which hasn't escaped decoration, proudly displaying a black silk home-made cover with a white frill at the top.

I don't know this couple, only met them for the first time tonight and ended up in their house through the new year celebrations but I was shocked...that is all.

Not a lot wrong with that. I'm willing to bet the CD collection has a lot of better music than we get today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah it's the same every year...soo depressing! The fireworks were good though

They had Paulo Nutini on many years ago.Before he realised how crap the show was.
    I'll maybe watch tonights on catch up if I can be arsed.
    Forum Member
    They had Paulo Nutini on many years ago.Before he realised how crap the show was.
    I'll maybe watch tonights on catch up if I can be arsed.

Watching it on catch up is sadder than watching it live...don't do that! :o
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Not a lot wrong with that. I'm willing to bet the CD collection has a lot of better music than we get today.

yeah that's a point jra but would you display it on black ash shelves across the length of your living room.....in ALPHABETICAL ORDER? :o
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah that's a point jra but would you display it on black ash shelves across the length of your living room.....in ALPHABETICAL ORDER? :o
    Erm ... not on black ash shelves, no... alphabetical order.. yes :D
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Erm ... not on black ash shelves, no... alphabetical order.. yes :D

Muggins...I am not one for new year resolutions but please please please make one of your own to not store your music or film collection in alphabetical order!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggins...I am not one for new year resolutions but please please please make one of your own to not store your music or film collection in alphabetical order!
    No.

Sorry, it's a thing of mine. We all have our little OCD obsessions .. trust me, I have a daughter with varying levels of OCD, we all have ours... this is one of mine :D

ETA: how do you expect me to find Billy Joel from The Santa Collection? :D

ETA2: It's my only obsession :D Other than this I'm a messy, and I mean messy, person!
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    No.

Sorry, it's a thing of mine. We all have our little OCD obsessions .. trust me, I have a daughter with varying levels of OCD, we all have ours... this is one of mine :D

If it's not on public display then it's not so sad but you really should get out of that habit, it's not healthy.

Anyway, it's now 3am and I really MUST get to bed on an even number so we can discuss your unhealthy ocd obsessions later ;-) xx
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

If I had the room, I'd use cabinets and as for alphabetic ordering, maybe not, but you've got to have some ordering system (note to self), so you can find things again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's not on public display then it's not so sad but you really should get out of that habit, it's not healthy.

Anyway, it's now 3am and I really MUST get to bed on an even number so we can discuss your unhealthy ocd obsessions later ;-) xx
    Haha yes I did see that thread :D Sleep tight MIS :) x

ETA: I will tell you all about having a child with OCD later, then you'll realise how small our own obsessions are :D