Spike/5USA LCN swap

omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
Forum Member
✭✭
Taken from http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/spike-tv-to-launch-with-breaking-bad/5085435.article
Spike launches in April and will air on Freeview channel 31, the slot which previously housed 5USA. The US-themed channel [will move] to slot 21, replacing Viva.

Comments

• ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,241
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, especially useful following the news that 'Breaking Bad' is to air on Spike.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moving it down from a prominent EPG says it all.

This channel will be niche like TruTV.

A sad end to channel 21 started as TMF in 2002. 13 year run as a music chnanel despite very quickly not becoming much of a music channel.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be surprised now if 5* tries to claim LCN7 when it becomes vacant on the basis that it is near Ch5.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member

They haven't moved it. Spike is a new channel, not a rebrand of Viva. LCN rules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    They haven't moved it. Spike is a new channel, not a rebrand of Viva. LCN rules.
    We are referring to 5USA which will be moving from 31 to 21.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    I won't be surprised now if 5* tries to claim LCN7 when it becomes vacant on the basis that it is near Ch5.

You mean if BBC 3 goes online only! Who is to stop the BBC moving BBC 4 to LCN 7 & LCN 8 being nabbed by local TV in Wales and Scotland? That is if BBC 3 closes!
    Channel 5 could try and claim the current local TV in Wales and Scotland LCN in that scenario which I think is LCN23?
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC will still want LCN 7 if BBC Three closes for BBC One+1.

You would thought Viacom would have moved 5* to LCN 21 as some of Viva's programming is moving there with Spike launching on LCN 30.
    Forum Member
    We are referring to 5USA which will be moving from 31 to 21.

That's moving to a more prominent LCN.
    Forum Member
    Viva is effectively being demoted from Ch21 to Ch30.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Viva is effectively being demoted from Ch21 to Ch30.
    Not so much demoted as dismissed from service. :)
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    If Viacom left Viva at 21 and closed it, they would lose LCN 21 to Local TV and Spike would end up on LCN 74

By moving VIva to 31, then closing it, they can reclaim 31 for Spike due to it being next to 5*. and keep LCN 21 of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    If Viacom left Viva at 21 and closed it, they would lose LCN 21 to Local TV and Spike would end up on LCN 74

By moving VIva to 31, then closing it, they can reclaim 31 for Spike due to it being next to 5*. and keep LCN 21 of course.

Then they could switch them later I suppose?
  • steveboswellsteveboswell Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC will still want LCN 7 if BBC Three closes for BBC One+1.

I can't find the link now, but the BBC Trust's report on the launch of BBC One+1 says they won't use LCN 7, but will take the first available slot at the "back" of the grid. I would imagine this is a purely 'political' decision to placate commercial rivals,
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could swap 5USA over to Freeview channel 21 overnight tonight, Just tell people the new number for 5USA but do not do the same for VIVA. Then they could claim Spike TV is a new channel on Freeview 31 when it launches.
    Forum Member
    They could swap 5USA over to Freeview channel 21 overnight tonight, Just tell people the new number for 5USA but do not do the same for VIVA. Then they could claim Spike TV is a new channel on Freeview 31 when it launches.

More likely that Viva will go down to 74, with a Spike placeholder on 31. That way they can claim they are shuffling their channels into a more logical order and retain use of 21, before removing Viva days later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More likely that Viva will go down to 74, with a Spike placeholder on 31. That way they can claim they are shuffling their channels into a more logical order and retain use of 21, before removing Viva days later.

Then shuffle 5USA and Skike to opposites later meaning Spike could get the better number later?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the change is set to happen on April 15th.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I won't miss Viva. It stopped being a music channel years ago. See ya.

Spike looks a bit rubbish, too. Breaking Bad as its flagship show? It's a great series but there are hills that are younger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know at what time the changeover will occur? The programmes for Spike don't start until 19:00. Viva's schedule carries on regardless, but we can ignore that. :)
    Probably LCNs in the 790s will be involved.
    Forum Member
    Anyone know at what time the changeover will occur? The programmes for Spike don't start until 19:00. Viva's schedule carries on regardless, but we can ignore that. :)
    Probably LCNs in the 790s will be involved.

Usually changes occur in the 11am-1pm sort of window. Looks likely now to happen on the day itself, although if it was me in charge I would have insisted on the Spike LCN being added as a placeholder already.
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Spike looks a bit rubbish, too. Breaking Bad as its flagship show?

Or 'Olympus' which has only just premiered on US TV so is still a bit of an unknown quantity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually changes occur in the 11am-1pm sort of window. Looks likely now to happen on the day itself, although if it was me in charge I would have insisted on the Spike LCN being added as a placeholder already.
    Trouble is that without placeholders, until the changeover has happened there will be two LCNs both with two lots of programme content for their EPGs & programme guides to display & that is not physically possible.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could switch 5USA with VIVA now.
  • CyberSimianCyberSimian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Breaking Bad as its flagship show? It's a great series but there are hills that are younger.
    That may be so, but I have not seen any of it.

I was in Sainsburys recently (other supermarkets are available), and in their DVD section I noticed that they had all 5(?) series of "Breaking Bad". I contemplated purchasing them, but decided that I did not really want to add drama about drug addiction to my DVD collection, no matter how highly-rated that drama is. But I will set up my Humax to record it. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    That's moving to a more prominent LCN.

Not if you do as I do and flick back frpm 101 ;-)