Spike/5USA LCN swap

Comments

• ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I contemplated purchasing them, but decided that I did not really want to add drama about drug addiction to my DVD collection, no matter how highly-rated that drama is.

It's not a drama about drug addiction, it's a drama about drug manufacture and distribution. Much more wholesome!!
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at what's to come on Spike, the content looks much the same as many of the other more mundane Freeview channels:

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    Caught on Camera
    Bar Rescue
    Cowboy Builders
    Eddie Stobart: Trucks and Trailers
    Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away
    The Gadget Show
    World's Strongest Man 2014
    Rocky Balboa
    Tattoo Disasters

Think I will be giving this one a miss.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    Looking at what's to come on Spike, the content looks much the same as many of the other more mundane Freeview channels:

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    Caught on Camera
    Bar Rescue
    Cowboy Builders
    Eddie Stobart: Trucks and Trailers
    Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away
    The Gadget Show
    World's Strongest Man 2014
    Rocky Balboa
    Tattoo Disasters

Think I will be giving this one a miss.

Please rush me, another so called channel fed from the same server, and consequently the same programmes, as the other dross.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find the link now, but the BBC Trust's report on the launch of BBC One+1 says they won't use LCN 7, but will take the first available slot at the "back" of the grid. I would imagine this is a purely 'political' decision to placate commercial rivals,
    All the other broadcasters wouldn't hesitate to grab LCN 7 if the opportunity arose. Being such a prime first page programme guide position I'm wondering if plans for it's allocation have already been decided. The BBC being the current holder would have every right to use for their +1 channel and I"m sure other broadcasters would naturally of been expecting it.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would happen in that case, I wonder. Would 7 go unused for years, so channels jump from 6 to 9, or would all the channels move down one number, so you'd get BBC Four on 7, ITV 3 on 9, Pick on 10 etc.

If it was available for anyone to grab, I'm sure ITV would love it. ITV 2 on 6, ITV 3 on 7, ITV Be/4 on 10.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    What would happen in that case, I wonder. Would 7 go unused for years, so channels jump from 6 to 9, or would all the channels move down one number, so you'd get BBC Four on 7, ITV 3 on 9, Pick on 10 etc.

If it was available for anyone to grab, I'm sure ITV would love it. ITV 2 on 6, ITV 3 on 7, ITV Be/4 on 10.

It sounds likely local TV would get it so they could have the same LCN slot the whole country over, with LCN 8 returning to just being BBC Alba in Scotland and channel 4 in Wales.

ITV 2 at LCN 6 would look out of place then!

Personally I think it should be 1-5 as now but allowing HD swaps where appropriate, LCN 6 local TV the country over, LCN 7 BBC Alba Scotland/Channel 4 in Wales, LCN 8 BBC 3, LCN 9 BBC 4.
    Then if BBC close BBC 3 move BBC 4 up 1 and have BBC 1+1 use LCN 9.

I would have ITV allowed it's sister channels a block after that, then channel 4's sister channels and the channel 5's sister channels, with HD swaps allowed. Oh and I include +1s with sister channels.

Shopping channels should get their own section and stop being classed as entertainment!
    I know people will say that QVC would block that, but a way round that is to say that restrictions on how much shopping and advertising can actually be on a channel if it has a place within the 1-99 LCN range.
    If its restricted enough QVC would get forced to move by default or change what it does to keep the slot!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to the Spike/5USA LCN swap topic, I notice that the EPG for Viva on 21 stops at 11:00, followed by 'Programmes start at 9:00a.m.'. There is content from 9:00 to 11:00 for 16th & 17th.

[Should you wish to discuss fantasy LCNs why not start your own topic.] :)
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Back to the Spike/5USA LCN swap topic, I notice that the EPG for Viva on 21 stops at 11:00, followed by 'Programmes start at 9:00a.m.'. There is content from 9:00 to 11:00 for 16th & 17th.

That's interesting, they might be keeping it going for a couple of hours then with a view to bringing it back later (or, at least, to make the LCN swaps they are doing look like LCN swaps rather than a sneaky way to hold on to LCN 21). In that case, Viva is likely to be moving to 74.

The 9-11 slot could easily be fulfilled with one of C5's channels' bandwidth, where currently it is teleshopping.
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hopefully, no retune required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrisE wrote: »
    Hopefully, no retune required.
    I may be wrong, but I think it will be, because 21 & 31 are on different muxes.
    Certainly my PVR will need the retune treatment.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    It sounds likely local TV would get it so they could have the same LCN slot the whole country over, with LCN 8 returning to just being BBC Alba in Scotland and channel 4 in Wales.

ITV 2 at LCN 6 would look out of place then!

Personally I think it should be 1-5 as now but allowing HD swaps where appropriate, LCN 6 local TV the country over, LCN 7 BBC Alba Scotland/Channel 4 in Wales, LCN 8 BBC 3, LCN 9 BBC 4.
    Then if BBC close BBC 3 move BBC 4 up 1 and have BBC 1+1 use LCN 9.

I would have ITV allowed it's sister channels a block after that, then channel 4's sister channels and the channel 5's sister channels, with HD swaps allowed. Oh and I include +1s with sister channels.

Shopping channels should get their own section and stop being classed as entertainment!
    I know people will say that QVC would block that, but a way round that is to say that restrictions on how much shopping and advertising can actually be on a channel if it has a place within the 1-99 LCN range.
    If its restricted enough QVC would get forced to move by default or change what it does to keep the slot!

My theory is, bump C4 (Wales)/BBC Alba to 7, local-TV in Scotland/Wales to 8 (England/NI no move) and BBC One +1 to 23 - this'd mean 7 would be blank in England/NI as 23 is now (and 8 was before local-TV came along). As for Spike/5USA/Viva, if a 'ghost' Viva is sticking around then, yes, that would explain 74 being skipped over in recent additions given we already know where 21 and 31 are going...
  • dom5491dom5491 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Just seen a tweet by freeview advice Twitter account that Spike is going on channel 15, do they know something that we don't?
  • miket15miket15 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    dom5491 wrote: »
    Just seen a tweet by freeview advice Twitter account that Spike is going on channel 15, do they know something that we don't?

Spike advert on ch5 last night said its going on ch31.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    miket15 wrote: »
    Spike advert on ch5 last night said its going on ch31.
    The Spike programme guide has had it as 31 for some time now. Anyone can put things on Twitter that may or may not be correct.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Film4 will not be happy about that so its on Freeview 31.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where can I find the spike tv programme schedule?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member

I think it's an error, as the launch date is 15th April, so the 15 has been typed in for the channel number by mistake. If you look through their older tweets they all say 31.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rmcdowell wrote: »
    Where can I find the spike tv programme schedule?

Here's one:

http://www.channel5.com/channels/spike?range=present&date=2015-04-15
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Channel 5 website needs a re brand.
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, but I think it will be, because 21 & 31 are on different muxes.
    Certainly my PVR will need the retune treatment.

It was only a hope.:D
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But do I need to Re-tune to get it ?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But do I need to Re-tune to get it ?
    You'll find out soon enough.
  • PixelzPixelz Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    No sign of Spike on LCN31 from Crystal Palace at 2am on 15/4/15
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pixelz wrote: »
    No sign of Spike on LCN31 from Crystal Palace at 2am on 15/4/15
    The first programme (Police Interceptors) isn't scheduled to start until 19:00 and the changeover will probably be around 11a.m-ish.
  • ken190ken190 Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 usa this how on epg 21