Options

Rte1 etc

sdrogersonsdrogerson Posts: 1,424
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Rte 1,2 and TG4 have appeared on my EPG on my Sony TV. I live in Lanarkshire. There is no video signal. I also notice a BT Sport Showcase channel again with no signal,

What's happening have I missed something?

Comments

• Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sdrogerson wrote: »
    Rte 1,2 and TG4 have appeared on my EPG on my Sony TV. I live in Lanarkshire. There is no video signal. I also notice a BT Sport Showcase channel again with no signal,

What's happening have I missed something?

The weather conditions are causing a lift effect which is why you are getting a signal from an Irish transmitter, and the reason why you aren't getting video but I'm guessing sound still is because Irish DTT uses DVB-T but with MPEG-4 whereas your TV can only decode MPEG-2, but if you had a TV or STB with a Freeview HD logo on it, then you'd get the channels with video too as Freeview HD devices can decode MPEG-4. Hope that helps. :)
  • Options
    egalegal Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    TG4, RTE1 and RTE2 are available in parts of Northern Ireland on LCNs 51, 52 and 53, respectively. DX from Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egal wrote: »
    TG4, RTE1 and RTE2 are available in parts of Northern Ireland on LCNs 51, 52 and 53, respectively. DX from Northern Ireland?

If so, it would be in DVB-T2 format, and not received at all on his setup.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If so, it would be in DVB-T2 format, and not received at all on his setup.

He's getting BT Sport Showcase, which is broadcast on COM7 in DVB-T2, so it must be a capable box.

Per your original analysis, sounds like stray signal from NI. Lack of video is because he's miles away, not because of the type of box he has.
  • Options
    Peter_JaraiPeter_Jarai Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »
    He's getting BT Sport Showcase, which is broadcast on COM7 in DVB-T2, so it must be a capable box.

Per your original analysis, sounds like stray signal from NI. Lack of video is because he's miles away, not because of the type of box he has.

i am also getting it from the Sutton coldfield transmitter from Birmingham west midlands is this UK wide is anyone else getting it on LCN 75 The UHF Channel is 33 DVB-T2 i hope this information helps others :)
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am also getting it from the Sutton coldfield transmitter from Birmingham west midlands is this UK wide is anyone else getting it on LCN 75 The UHF Channel is 33 DVB-T2 i hope this information helps others :)

BT Sport Showcase is UK-wide on COM7 - see this thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062695

The Irish channels in the OP are the ones which have come from a stray signal.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think that the Irish entries resulted from a scan done during a very brief lift and that it had gone away again by the time that the OP noticed it. Another scan would probably remove them again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I've scanned again they are still there on a Brand new Sony Bravia Internet TV.
  • Options
    egalegal Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    sdrogerson wrote: »
    No I've scanned again they are still there on a Brand new Sony Bravia Internet TV.
    Are they stored at 51, 52 and 53?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are indeed
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are picking up a signal from Divis in Belfast then, which is the closest NI transmitter to you that provides the Irish channels. They only broadcast RTÉ 1, RTÉ 2 and TG 4 on 51, 52 and 53. TV 3 is not broadcast in NI.

Have you tried leaving the TV tuned to those channels to see if you get any picture?