Options

Canary cage near open windon

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know if it's ok to put my canary cage on a window ledge with the window open? (There are no safety issues, the cage will not fall off).

He seems to really enjoy it when it's sunny and i thought he might like the view compared to being stuck in my living room all day, but i have also read that canaries should be kept away from drafts?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Canaries don't like draughts. They can also overheat.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nan used to put the stand outside the back door on nice days her birds loved a flutter in the fresh air, quite long lived for cage birds too so perhaps it was good for them too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies, it's so hard to know what is best for them. The guides tell you that they don't like drafts, but i notice that in Mediterranean countries, people always put their bird cages outside or on window ledges/balconys.

I only do it on our nice days, not too hot or cold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose when you think about it in the wild they would be out no matter what the weather so perhaps we are all too cautious ?
  • Options
    Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My neighbour did that and a wild bird came an attacked it through the bars, so i would be careful doing that
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put my cockateils cage near the open window when it's warm , she loves it as she chatters to the wild birds outside in the tree near the window It also gives her something interesting to look at

Just don't put the cage in direct sunlight
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the wild and in the med is it not warmer?

Also in the wild they are free to move to shelter if they wish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was assuming they would only be put out in warm weather not 6 foot of snow ;) But having said that I do know someone who keeps 6 in an outdoor aviary alongside their 8 budgies. They soon develop thicker feathering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice. I think we can only judge this on how each bird reacts. My canary has always loved being by an open window in warm weather, he'll take a bath and chirps along to the wild birds singing, so i think he must be happy.

I leave the cage near a partially open window rather than fully outside, as my mother in law's bird was also attacked by a wild bird, as Kay2000 mentioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    The real benefits of placing a caged bird near an open window is direct exposure to the UV light from the Sun.

But remember that the window needs to be open as glass filters out UV light. An area of the cage needs to be in the shade so the bird can move into it, if it gets too hot.

Birds vision extends well into the UV spectrum as well. UV is also used in the making of vitamin D within their bodies, just as it is in us humans. Being kept caged indoors is like a life sentence of color-blindness and vitamin D deficiency for them, leading to both body and mental health problems.

So if you really care for your birds and want to provide the best environment then consider using a dedicated Avian Light (Do Not Use a REPTILE lamp, the UV levels/bands are different). A little pricey with compact bulbs only lasting 6 months before the UV levels fall off, retail price around £30 each but you can get them a lot cheaper by shopping around.

I have had 2 African Greys for 25 years now and they are like TOTALLY new birds since installing avian lighting a few years ago. I have it on for 12 hours/day. One the the best decisions I have ever made.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A woman in my street puts her lovebirds in the window on some days. Next doors cat seems to enjoy throwing itself at the glass. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    My friends dad used to take the budgie out in the back garden and let it have a fly round. When he wanted it to return he would hold the cage up and whistle!.The bird would then fly back into the cage!!.