Greasy Cat Fur?

ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
Forum Member
✭✭
My cat is an old lady, and isn't so flexible any more, so she can't really reach the bottom part of her back to groom herself. The patch of fur between the middle of her back and the start of her tail is quite greasy and a bit tangled, but she won't really let me brush it, apart from one or at the most two strokes of the brush at a time. When I do this I get whole clumps of manky old hair coming out, which does seem to help. However, it still stays pretty greasy and rough feeling.

She will let me stroke her, so I was wondering if there's some kind of cat-safe wipe I could use on her, rather than a brush? Does anyone know of such a thing please?

Comments

• Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sprinkle some talc over and rub it in by stroking her, it will make it easier to brush out
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would talc be ok for a cat?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    One of my cats used to have dandruff on the lower part of her back. I got some special shampoo from the vet and it got rid of the dandruff and brought the fur up nice and fluffy.
    Just got the bottle out for you-its called Sebomild P- By Virbac.
    For the management of generalized scaley and greasy skin conditions in dogs and cats. I think the bottle was about £10.00.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks! I'm not sure she'd let me shampoo her back though to be honest - I may risk losing a limb! I might try it though.
  • Real FanReal Fan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a long haired cat who turned up on the doorstep emaciated with huge mats and greasy fur. The only thing he would tolerate was something similar to this.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-Protection-Salon-Rubber-Brush/dp/B001GJSEI4/ref=pd_bxgy_petsupplies_img_c
    A glove is also available.
  • Miss CheefMiss Cheef Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I had this problem with one of my cats when he was younger. I used a dry shampoo you can get for pets.
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I was going to suggest one of those rubber gloves, I use one of those on my lurcher who has very thin skin so a brush is out of the question.
    You could put one of those on your hand and just stroke the cats back.
    Those rubber gloves work really well as they roll the fur out instead of pulling it so the process is quite gentle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AmberPanda wrote: »
    I was going to suggest one of those rubber gloves, I use one of those on my lurcher who has very thin skin so a brush is out of the question.
    You could put one of those on your hand and just stroke the cats back.
    Those rubber gloves work really well as they roll the fur out instead of pulling it so the process is quite gentle.

Thanks - I think I might try one. I think it does hurt her a bit when I brush, as it does seem to pull on her skin.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try using a slicker brush.