TV listings from 1970s and 1980s

Comments

• emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhod wrote: »
    I've put a few more pages up via the link, but unfortunately from the 80's onwards the Schools TV listings tended to be far less detailed than before - so typically you will just see 09:30 Schools, follwed by the next programme at 12:30. And of course, as daytime TV encroached into the schedule schools TV programmes were increasingly scarce anyway.
    well is there a site which would list all indevidal programmes show on schools tv during the 1980s.due to the vast amount of programmes made by BBC or itv for schools its hard to recal every programme that was ever aired.
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so sure about online sources, but your local college or university library may well store archived copies of the Times Educational Supplement which should have fairly comprehensive Schools TV listings, including the '80s.
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    your lucky day - this might help, too !!
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Excellent rhod!!! I was just going to suggest I copy the Schools pages from my ITV Yearbooks and BBC Handbooks, but you've found a gem of a site!!!;)
  • tomcontitomconti Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a set of about 1000 issues of TV Times on dvd rom from ebay a while back.

The seller has from 1955 to 1980

With 70's issues at about £5 each the £15 for each batch of 3 years worked out really cheap.

Certainly one of the best Ebay buys ever for me

Here's a current listing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220370023556&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=012
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    A couple more random days from the BBC 1 schedules

And from the radio section:
    Wednesday. February 7, 1973
    Radio 2 1500metres
    7.02am Terry Wogan. (8.27 Racing Bulletin; 8.45 Pause)

That's astonishing in context isn't it? How much TV has changed in 36 years, but there's your man doing the breakfast show on the radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Probs because, at that time, in most schools, it was mid-morning break. In 1973, there were no VCRs;)

acctually there were but it cost £100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 and noone could afford them:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    godzilla55 wrote: »
    acctually there were but it cost £100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 and noone could afford them:rolleyes:

One of the murderers in 'Columbo' used one to set up an alibi.

He invited a friend round to watch the 9pm Football game (men in helmets). He then drugged the friend's drink so the friend would fall asleep just before the start of the game.

The villain then set his VCR to record the first hour of the football while he went out and committed the murder. On his return, he re-set all the clocks in the house to just before 9, wound the tape back and started playing it, then woke up his friend 'in time for the start of the game'.
    The friend later told Columbo that the villain couldn't possibly have committed the murder at half past nine, because they were together 'watchin' the ball game'.

It took Columbo and hour and a half to work out what had actually happened. Something kept bothering him. ;)
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Excellent rhod!!! I was just going to suggest I copy the Schools pages from my ITV Yearbooks and BBC Handbooks, but you've found a gem of a site!!!;)

OMG, I've just clocked one of the programmes that was on in 1974... La France d'Aujord'hui! We had that as our first year of secondary school French language book - in 1988! So it wasn't 'La France d'Aujord'hui' it was 'La France from bloody ages ago'.

There was a section on the Bertillon family's children listening to the latest 'disque du pop musique'... and it was a bloody hippy band in loon pants! :eek:

The section about football (le foot) introduced famous players as Pelé, Eusebio and Bobby Charlton. :D

I still remember some of the phrases, though.

'Monsieur Bertillon est un douanier. BEEEEEP.'

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

well fantastic what can i say ,but a million thank yous. i get the feeling i have seen this site before ,but not in this format. its almost like the sites been upgraded, but certainly better. i'll stick it my contacts ,thanks again.
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    German TV listings from 1952 onwards:
    http://tvprogramme.de.vu/

And another great site in German:
    http://zuschauerpost.de/

This is from a guy who owns a complete collection of HÖRZU, Germany's oldest TV & radio listings magazine, all the way back to its first issue in 1946. The site contains cover scans (click on "Titelbilder"), letters to the editor, reviews and other articles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »

This is from a guy who owns a complete collection of HÖRZU, Germany's oldest TV & radio listings magazine, all the way back to its first issue in 1946. The site contains cover scans (click on "Titelbilder"), letters to the editor, reviews and other articles.

i think i'll just stick with the uk versions for now
  • DocumentaryFanDocumentaryFan Posts: 3,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »

Thank you so much! This is truly fascinating stuff (particularly for those of us who aren't parochially minded).

Do you happen to know if there any old TV listings from other European countries online? I'm particularly interested in France.
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    If anyone is interested in old Christmas TV listings I'm currently working on this

http://christmastvpastpresentfuture.googlepages.com/
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ DocFan: Sorry, can't help you with the French listings. But if I should stumble across something, I'll post the link here.
  • sky is topssky is tops Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I get home I posted some old listings I got.
    Forum Member
    If anyone is interested in old Christmas TV listings I'm currently working on this

http://christmastvpastpresentfuture.googlepages.com/

Keep going, it's an interesting site. :)

It reminded me that this used to infuriate me...

1994 17th December to 30th December
    220 £1.30

1995 16th December to 29th December 220 £1.50

A double issue is supposed to cover the two major holidays of the year, when you're not necessarily going to want to go out and get a second listings magazine. It's supposed to cover Christmas AND New Year, that's the whole point of a DOUBLE issue.

But no, in the mid 90s, the BBC decided to start their 'double issue' the week before Christmas, so you couldn't plan at the same time what you watched for Christmas and New Year, and were required to go out and buy a second magazine to get both. An attitude typical of money grabbing, sleaze-ridden mid-90s Britain. :p

Well, I bought neither. Those years, I was so annoyed, I relied on the Sunday papers, the only years I have not bought the famous double issues. I reckon many people did this also, because they've never done it since - every double issue post 95 has been Christmas AND New year, and rightly so. Where would RT be without us 'once-a-year' readers and all our £2.10s. ;)
    Forum Member
    One of the murderers in 'Columbo' used one to set up an alibi.
    'Monsieur Bertillon est un douanier. BEEEEEP.'

I do appear to be participating in an entirely different thread to everyone else... :o
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Keep going, it's an interesting site. :)

It reminded me that this used to infuriate me...

1994 17th December to 30th December
    220 £1.30

1995 16th December to 29th December 220 £1.50

A double issue is supposed to cover the two major holidays of the year, when you're not necessarily going to want to go out and get a second listings magazine. It's supposed to cover Christmas AND New Year, that's the whole point of a DOUBLE issue.

But no, in the mid 90s, the BBC decided to start their 'double issue' the week before Christmas, so you couldn't plan at the same time what you watched for Christmas and New Year, and were required to go out and buy a second magazine to get both. An attitude typical of money grabbing, sleaze-ridden mid-90s Britain. :p

Well, I bought neither. Those years, I was so annoyed, I relied on the Sunday papers, the only years I have not bought the famous double issues. I reckon many people did this also, because they've never done it since - every double issue post 95 has been Christmas AND New year, and rightly so. Where would RT be without us 'once-a-year' readers and all our £2.10s. ;)

Not quite true because :

2004 18th December to 31st December 236 £1.80

2005 17th December to 30th December 252 £1.95
    Forum Member
    Not quite true because :

2004 18th December to 31st December 236 £1.80

2005 17th December to 30th December 252 £1.95

That's really strange how the memory plays tricks on you like that. Because I remember it really annoying me in the 90s but not in the later years.
    Maybe it's because by 2004 there were so many other ways of finding the listings, indeed the Sunday Times Culture had almost become an alternative RT by then, instead of the flimsy handout that it was in the 90s.
    But it's still a rip-off isn't it?
    No excuse for '17th to 30th', when you can have '24th to 6th'. And the 16th to 29th is just so blatant! Only 18th to 31st is a tricky one, but it still shouldn't be beyond their wit to provide sketchy details for NYD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I wonder if someone would be kind enough to direct me to a website that can address the following query: I am attempting to recreate the television programme listings for the TWW( Television Wales and the West) area covering the years 1961-1962 and 1963, including all transmission dates and times. The reason I am seeking to obtain this information is because I have many wonderful childhood memories which I can relate to specific television programmes which were transmitted by TWW on certain dates and at certain times; (eg " The Adventures of Robin Hood" on Monday, June 5th 1962 at 5.25pm.) That is just an example ,of course,not the actual transmission date and time. Obviously the different television areas of the country had different programming schedules and times,hence the need for the TWW programming schedules. If anyone can help or assist me in any way ,then I shall be eternally grateful.
    My sincere thanks
    Elwyn Richards
  • TonyCurrieTonyCurrie Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    incitatus wrote: »
    I wonder if someone would be kind enough to direct me to a website that can address the following query: I am attempting to recreate the television programme listings for the TWW( Television Wales and the West) area covering the years 1961-1962 and 1963, including all transmission dates and times. The reason I am seeking to obtain this information is because I have many wonderful childhood memories which I can relate to specific television programmes which were transmitted by TWW on certain dates and at certain times; (eg " The Adventures of Robin Hood" on Monday, June 5th 1962 at 5.25pm.) That is just an example ,of course,not the actual transmission date and time. Obviously the different television areas of the country had different programming schedules and times,hence the need for the TWW programming schedules. If anyone can help or assist me in any way ,then I shall be eternally grateful.
    My sincere thanks
    Elwyn Richards

The TWW programmes were printed in "Television Weekly" which was published by Berrow's Newspapers. You will almost certainly find either bound volumes or microfiche of these in Cardiff Central Library. The listings will also appear in their volumes of the Western Mail although in less detail.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    One thing I do remember was how strictly controlled publication of the schedule was. Radio Times for BBC, TV Times for ITV (and later Channel 4), very limited details in the newspapers. Occasionally Radio Times had to do national editions (print strikes?), these included S4C programmes but only the welsh language ones. I don't think Radio Times published ITV and Channel 4 details until 1990. They even had a special edition for each local radio area.

Somebody mentioned old german schedules. Their broadcasting hours were even shorter, regional third programmes from 18:00 - 22:30 most nights, national channels 16:15 - 24:00 during the week, weekend start about lunchtime. There was a special morning programme for 3 hours, this was only broadcast in West Berlin and west german transmitters covering the DDR.

If you can receive BR-Alpha, check the schedule for Saturday mornings, they still show some very quaint english lessons from the 1980s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would be nice to see old tv listing reinstated
  • DJFairborne77DJFairborne77 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    One thing I do remember was how strictly controlled publication of the schedule was. Radio Times for BBC, TV Times for ITV (and later Channel 4), very limited details in the newspapers. Occasionally Radio Times had to do national editions (print strikes?), these included S4C programmes but only the welsh language ones. I don't think Radio Times published ITV and Channel 4 details until 1990. They even had a special edition for each local radio area.

I think it was in early 1991 that the laws were changed regarding UK TV schedule listings in magazines. Both the ''Radio Times'' & ''TV Times'' were allowed to cover all aspects of UKTV (including Sky too by that point as it had started in '89) for the first-time, and also a lot of rival magazines began, such as ''What's On TV'' & ''TV Quick'' (I can remember the ad for that one, with Liz Smith (Nana from ''The Royle Family'') in it singing ''That's The Way I Like It'' by K.C & The Sunshine Band, as she went to the newsagents to buy the mag!).

Also, the newspapers started to do their own listings magazines too, so for my family & friends there wasn't so much of a reason to buy either the ''Radio Times'' or ''TV Times'' anymore, whereas upto that point it was fairly essential to buy both to help plan your daily TV viewing for the BBC & ITV/Channel 4.

Nowadays, who needs listings mags when you have your Sky EPG etc?