Male Companion For Series 8

Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
Forum Member
Yes? No?

Personally, I would say yes, let's bring another guy into Series 8.

One condition - not as a love interest for Clara though. I mean, give her a love interest but not someone travelling in the TARDIS.

Rory proved fantastic during Series 5-7, so another male companion in Moffat's era would be nice.

Thoughts?

Comments

• sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I LOVED Rory (my favourite companion) I cant help but think it would feel a bit like just a relacement for Rory, like JLC is just a replacement for Amy (though of coourse, she is, all companions have basically been replacements for Susan/Barbara/Ian after all. But yeah, I think it's to soon after Roory left, people would just be comparing him to Rory.

And besides, he wouldnt be as good as Rory anyway (see, even I'm doing it, already!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strax would be cool to have along for a few episodes.
    Apart from that another possible interesting side story would be someone who gets stuck. Was supposed to die or go missing, he doesn't want to be going about in the Tardis for long, and maybe Doc & Clara don't want him there for long either. So they have to find somewhere to drop him off where he can't interfere with any timelines or something. Could be a nice 2ndary storyline going on from the main one?
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a central male character, not a background character which Rory was.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they could bring back Adric?
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    As much as I LOVED Rory (my favourite companion) I cant help but think it would feel a bit like just a relacement for Rory, like JLC is just a replacement for Amy (though of coourse, she is, all companions have basically been replacements for Susan/Barbara/Ian after all. But yeah, I think it's to soon after Roory left, people would just be comparing him to Rory.

And besides, he wouldnt be as good as Rory anyway (see, even I'm doing it, already!)

See, if we'd go by that logic, then we'd never have any companions and this show works better with companions and I'd like Moffat's era to have at least two male prominent companions, seeing as we have three prominent female ones with Amy, River and now Clara.

As for the comparisons to Rory, just make him tonally different to Rory and that should halt most of them, right?

Rory is awesome though.
  • Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you go the whole hog and have a female doctor as well.
    Lets get s07 over first.
    Forum Member
    Toby53 wrote: »
    Why don't you go the whole hog and have a female doctor as well.
    Lets get s07 over first.

Yeah, I'd rather not a female Doctor myself to be honest but this isn't the thread for that.

Plus I said a male companion for Series 8, which gives us plenty of time to enjoy just Eleven and Clara together first as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would anyone go for a star trek style transporter (or trans mat) accident causing a past doctor to be duplicated and stuck somewhere for years, only for 11 to come along and rescue him?

He'd probably have to be killed off or something, at some point later though.

Not sure if that would be good or not, but if Star trek can do it, then Doctor who can. Maybe as a one episode storyline?
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no objection to a male companion in conjunction with a female one, but I wouldn't like to see only a male one. I think the series needs a female in the TARDIS.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Would anyone go for a star trek style transporter (or trans mat) accident causing a past doctor to be duplicated and stuck somewhere for years, only for 11 to come along and rescue him?

He'd probably have to be killed off or something, at some point later though.

Not sure if that would be good or not, but if Star trek can do it, then Doctor who can. Maybe as a one episode storyline?

Would it be that the sixth Doctor was trans matted to a jungle planet, lost his curls, grew a huge belly and softened into one of the loveliest and kindest people ever?
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should just get Jack back full time to be honest. If there is going to be no torchwood for a while, Jack needs to return to Dr Who.
  • GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    They should just get Jack back full time to be honest. If there is going to be no torchwood for a while, Jack needs to return to Dr Who.
    YES! :rolleyes: :D
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure Jack would fit easily into Doctor Who now. They've taken the character way out of the Saturday teatime kind of thing. An appearance for the 50th, maybe, but a regular companion wouldn't work.

Besides - keep pressing forwards. Revisit past companions briefly for fun and nostalgia. But don't bog the show down with old relationships. Invent new stuff.

I like the theory that with each regeneration the Doctors memory of past companions , and other things, sort of becomes detached. Allowing him to move on unburdened with it all. A sort of Buddhist thing - very Barry Letts. (of course, when he meets past companions such as Sarah Jane and Jo Grant it comes flooding back).
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor could have a 'Dixon of Dock Green' character with a proper policeman's hat as a companion.

Companion-"You can't park there"
    The Doctor- "You'll find that I can"
    Companion-"No, you can't"
    The Doctor-"Yes, I can"
    Clara points at sign.

:D
    Forum Member
    I've no objection to a male companion in conjunction with a female one, but I wouldn't like to see only a male one. I think the series needs a female in the TARDIS.

Which is why I said a male companion along with the Doctor and Clara.:)
  • Voyager_iiiVoyager_iii Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Well I'm a lurker!! But I'll have to add my "tuppence" worth to this one - BRING BACK JACK!! I don't mean as a regular companion (in that respect I agree with nebogipfel) but I think there's definitely room for a story or two with him in it.

John's character can "do" dark - (CoE proves that), but I feel he has such an on-screen presence he can only add to the show. And if he eventually becomes the Face of Boe there is still plenty more to explore with him on this journey.

Also, I'd really like to see him with River ..................;)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I don't see any problem with adding a male companion again. The first two Doctors had them all the way, along with the female screamer (!). Jon Pertwee stopped that. Tom Baker had Harry Sullivan for a few months, and Peter Davison had Turlough and Adric for a while. The last two Doctors only had women. Doctor 8 had that chinese guy, and Chris Ecclestone had Adam and Jack.
    So they have always been there, more or less. But I like the idea of a guy on board the Tardis again - along with the glamorous female of course! THREE seems right! :)
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it does.

We could have most/all of 2013 with just Eleven/Clara and then in 2014 for Series 8 (because I wouldn't be surprised if it airs then), add a guy into the mix.
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galadriel wrote: »
    YES! :rolleyes: :D

BARROWMAAAAAANNN!!!

Nooooooooooooo:eek:

Time for another character like Turlough
    Forum Member
    Well, the next male companion should be as tonally different to Jack, Mickey, Wilf and Rory as possible perhaps.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I'd be happy enough for a male companion in Series 8 (who could then possibly stay longer than Clara does to reintroduce Companion overlap) I think I'd prefer a 2nd female companion.

Apart from Series 4 where Martha briefly came back along side Donna there's IIRC only been one other time where the Doctor has had two female companions (with no others).

Even that was only for a three story run.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't matter if a companion is male or female. Long as the writing and acting are good.
    Depends how S7 ends. Would like to see other people back though. Including Jack and Kate Stewart.
    Forum Member
    It shouldn't matter if a companion is male or female. Long as the writing and acting are good.
    Depends how S7 ends. Would like to see other people back though. Including Jack and Kate Stewart.

And it doesn't but we've often had male/female companions throughout the show's history, so one for Series 8 wouldn't be a bad idea.

I only want to see Jack in the 50th. Even I think the show's moved on from him.

Kate I hope does reappear again.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory:):):)
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Yes? No?

Personally, I would say yes, let's bring another guy into Series 8.

One condition - not as a love interest for Clara though. I mean, give her a love interest but not someone travelling in the TARDIS.

Rory proved fantastic during Series 5-7, so another male companion in Moffat's era would be nice.

Thoughts?

If it's a question not an announcement, then put a question mark ON THE THREAD TITLE.

Seems all too often that people use the title to make their statements look like information to get more people to take a look.

I can't get these 40 seconds back!