Options

Do any airlines fly to Ireland without passports?

13»

Comments

• Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Anytime I have flown with Ryanair to Eire or Britian from Belfast I have had to produce a passport and on pre-booked flights from Belfast to Britian with easyjet i have need a pasport at check in, crazy for internal U.K travel.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Is there any reason why the OP cannot just apply for a passport.

I find it essential - even if I don't travel - to have a passport for ID purposes in the UK.

What you would spend on the passport you would save by being able to fly Ryanair who have the most routes, the most flights and the cheapest fares from the UK to Ireland.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Jump in car, drive till you reach Belgium. No border controls/checkpoints. That why all the "immigrants" can travel all the way across Europe to the camps near Calais - there's no-one to stop/question/check them once they get into the EU.

I recently drove to Romania. Ferry to Calais, drove across France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and finally at the Hungarian border I was asked for my passport. That's what the Schengen Agreement means.

That's disgraceful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    That's disgraceful.

Why, are you a bit dim? That's exactly what the Schengen Agreement allows.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    on pre-booked flights from Belfast to Britian with easyjet i have need a pasport at check in, crazy for internal U.K travel.

No, you haven't needed it. They accept passports, but anytime I fly Easyjet to GB from Belfast I use my driving licence with no problems, same coming back, even if I'm checking in baggage. There's nothing in Easyjet's rules to say you must use a passport, but it is acceptable ID.

Ryanair is different, their crazy rules would mean I'd have to take my passport. But I never fly with them, so when I fly Belfast to GB or vice versa I can always use ID I carry all the time.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    No, you haven't needed it. They accept passports, but anytime I fly Easyjet to GB from Belfast I use my driving licence with no problems, same coming back, even if I'm checking in baggage. There's nothing in Easyjet's rules to say you must use a passport, but it is acceptable ID.

Ryanair is different, their crazy rules would mean I'd have to take my passport. But I never fly with them, so when I fly Belfast to GB or vice versa I can always use ID I carry all the time.

Here are Ryanair's rules

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/what-travel-documentation-do-i-need-to-travel-on-ryanair-flights

I cannot find Easyjet's precise rules on their website

Aer Lingus's rules are here:
    http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/passport_visa_information.html#irluk

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    Valid Passport
    Drivers licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use my driving licence with no problems.

It would have to be a photo one, though, surely?

Edit: Oops - just read post above. Mine wouldn't be any good, then :)
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    It would have to be a photo one, though, surely?

Edit: Oops - just read post above. Mine wouldn't be any good, then :)

Sorry, I thought most people had photo driving licences, it's not possible to get one without here as far as I know!
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not possible to get one without here as far as I know!

Depends whether your licence was issued before they had photo licences.

Edit: Just checked, and photo licence were first issued in 1998 and are valid for 10 years, unlike the non-photo ones which are valid until age 70.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Why, are you a bit dim? That's exactly what the Schengen Agreement allows.

Cheeky Barsteward. I am not dim. Anyone with half a brain would realise that my comment infers what a bad thing Schengen is. It's basically a terrorists and illegal immigrants present to go across Europe unchecked.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Have you read the rest of the thread?

Not at all :cool: