Back to Camelot, now with added Mackenzie Crook, Merlin S2 discussion, (6/4/2013)

Comments

• Lem_1Lem_1 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    star89 wrote: »
    Of course Star shall still speak to you. Star likes everyone :)

However she doesn't forgive easily and she certainly doesn't forget

Oh, I'm glad about that, I shall try to work my way back into your good books eventually :)
    Star doesn't have hit men... however she does have a very fiery dragon who is extremely protective of her sorceress ;)

GULP :eek:
    Makes a mental note to see if Pets At Home sell dragon treats to try and avoid being burnt to a crisp next time I see Star.
    Natarhi wrote: »
    Agreed. Like I said I understand him coming to the decision that he had to kill her, but I don't understand him doing it without at least trying some other path first.
    I see what you're saying Avi, and I do accept that they needed Morgana to be dying slowly enough to be saved. That is why I really think they should have had Merlin looking for another solution, either to talk to Morgana and see if she could back out of the spell or perhaps to suggest to Arthur that they hide Uther and go after Morgause as she cast the spell. For me it is just too much out of character-ness to have Merlin both decide to kill Morgana without hesitation (by which I mean that while he is upset he doesn't doubt what he is doing) and for that killing to be a slow painful death. That's what I meant when I said the writing was making Merlin look bad.

BIB - precisely. You can't spend 2 seasons building character traits and then just ignore them for some little plot quip. Be a decent writer and find another way to achieve your aims

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! *gasps for breath* Hahahahahaha! "Doesn't forget", brilliant! Ha!
    :p
    Oi you :mad: Star is trying to be menacing here and you're ruining it :mad:

The menacing is very convincing, I'm scared!
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    BIB But Merlin didn't know Morgause was the source, did he, until she turned up, by which point the knights of Medhir were wreaking havoc and he and Arthur were already succumbing to the spell.
    No, not Morgause specifically, but they knew whoever summoned the knights was there because they saw the extra person, he could have suggested going to hunt whoever it was down.
    A full inbox, eh? <surveys half empty inbox sadly>
    It's only because I'm too lazy to delete as I go, I don't even delete messages I've sent. :o
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good, I'm glad I didn't come across as completely unhinged. You know how it is when you write things when you are tired, and you can't be bothered to make them make sense? I feel that way most of the time! But I saw your response last night and was too tired to even reply. But it was hanging over me all night.

Lol

Do you ever get the impression we invest a little too much in this thread :o

I'm doing it, I'm doing it. I said I would try and sort it this morning. Definitely today is what I said. As it happens I have just cleared space now, so you can send the message. :) Please? Pretty please? :D

Now I have to type the WHOLE thing again :mad:

Pain in the arse :p
    Lem_1 wrote: »
    Oh, I'm glad about that, I shall try to work my way back into your good books eventually :)

GULP :eek:
    Makes a mental note to see if Pets At Home sell dragon treats to try and avoid being burnt to a crisp next time I see Star.

Aithusa is easier to win over than me :) I'll need more than dragon treats.
    The menacing is very convincing, I'm scared!

Yay! Star is scary. Grrrrrr
    It's only because I'm too lazy to delete as I go, I don't even delete messages I've sent. :o

God I have to. Mine fills up so dam quickly *smiles smugly* :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I have to type the WHOLE thing again :mad:

Pain in the arse :p
    :rolleyes: Well really you ought to know me well enough by now to know that if I say I will try to get something done in the morning it won't be done until at least lunch. :p

Also I didn't know if you would even be up. :p
    God I have to. Mine fills up so dam quickly *smiles smugly* :D
    I don't feel bad for making you type it again now. Smug cow. :p:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Merlin should have used a placebo (or something like that) to trick Morgause into undoing the spell. It would have been more sensible.

On another note, I remember reading that in the final episode they modeled Morgana and Merlin's final scene on the poisoning scene in this episode. It raises the question why they didn't remember the transporting spell that Morgause used to save Morgana and have Merlin use it to save Arthur? I'll put that down to stupid writers.

As for the Dragon, considering he burns Camelot to the ground after getting released, I'd mark him down in the trustworthy department.
  • SideshowStuSideshowStu Posts: 11,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Dashes into thread and posts a parchment for M'lady Star and Natarhi*

Ladies :)

I need your advice on how 'The Trial of Morgana' should proceed :)

You'll be pleased to hear that you've just met Gwaine, Leon and Mordred under a moonlit sky on the road to Camelot...Now, how would you like things to proceed? :)

a) In a gentle, refined manner.
    b) Suggestive but retaining artistic qualities.
    c) Lurid, sordid and gratuitous.

Answers on a parchment please :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Dashes into thread and posts a parchment for M'lady Star and Natarhi*

Ladies :)

I need your advice on how 'The Trial of Morgana' should proceed :)

You'll be pleased to hear that you've just met Gwaine, Leon and Mordred under a moonlit sky on the road to Camelot...Now, how would you like things to proceed? :)

a) In a gentle, refined manner.
    b) Suggestive but retaining artistic qualities.
    c) Lurid, sordid and gratuitous.

Answers on a parchment please :D

Evening my good Sir :D *curtsies*

Well I've thought long and hard and after much deliberation it's got to be the option c :D;):p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I've thought long and hard and after much deliberation it's got to be the option c :D;):p
    Evening Sir Stu. :)

I feel that it's only right t defer to my lady in this matter, so I shall say c as well. :D

*eagerly awaits story*
    Forum Member
    Do you ever get the impression we invest a little too much in this thread :o

All the time
    Aithusa is easier to win over than me :) I'll need more than dragon treats.

Would this be more to your taste m'lady?

Evening Sir Stu. :)

I feel that it's only right t defer to my lady in this matter, so I shall say c as well. :D

*eagerly awaits story*

Haha, why does that not surprise me :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would this be more to your taste m'lady?

Hmm yes a few bottles of that and some chocolates and we shall call a truce :)

*Opt's not to tell Lem that she was forgiven the minute she called me m'lady :o:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    You are most welcome Missy :D I'm glad you feel that way, everyone who posts here is part of the thread :D

I agree with everything you have said (except reading slash :p).
    I don't mind reading slash as in these types of stories you see a different side to Arthur. Even when I have read Arwen stories you never seem to find the loving, touchy feely protective Arthur that you find in slash stories. So its not the actual slash that appeals but the emotions. I do however feel as though I am betraying - is that the right word - Colin and Bradley when I read it as I know how opposed to it both of them are. I feel guilty sometimes that I have enjoyed reading a slash story.
    Forum Member
    Hmm yes a few bottles of that and some chocolates and we shall call a truce :)

*Opt's not to tell Lem that she was forgiven the minute she called me m'lady :o:o

Your wish is my command m'lady :)
    just for Star

I agree with everything you have said (except reading slash :p).
    I don't mind reading slash as in these types of stories you see a different side to Arthur. Even when I have read Arwen stories you never seem to find the loving, touchy feely protective Arthur that you find in slash stories. So its not the actual slash that appeals but the emotions. I do however feel as though I am betraying - is that the right word - Colin and Bradley when I read it as I know how opposed to it both of them are. I feel guilty sometimes that I have enjoyed reading a slash story.

(Quote edited as requested by Star - can't go upsetting Star again, I can't afford anymore champagne!)

No need to feel guilty at that. The whole point of fanfic (i think) is to do something with the characters that the original actors/creatives could not or would not do.

Thinking about it today - what makes something "cult"? and makes so many people write fic on it? It's not popularity as some "cult" has very small select audiences, so what defines it? Anyone got a definitive answer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just for Star

YUMMY :D Thank you :D
    No need to feel guilty at that. The whole point of fanfic (i think) is to do something with the characters that the original actors/creatives could not or would not do.

Thinking about it today - what makes something "cult"? and makes so many people write fic on it? It's not popularity as some "cult" has very small select audiences, so what defines it? Anyone got a definitive answer?

Fix your post Lem. The quote has been messed up and it looks like I wrote Missy's post. It, as the quotes messed up, says I read slash fiction :eek: We cannot be having that!!!
  • RazzylewRazzylew Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting philosophical question there Lem! I got this quote from the Gospel according to Wikipedia:
    A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a specific area of culture

I also saw something that related it to pop culture. So I guess its anything that garners a strong following of fans. Which is interesting, because it means nothing can be a cult when it is first created, but must become a cult only if it inspires people to think of it that way.
    Forum Member
    Razzylew wrote: »
    Interesting philosophical question there Lem! I got this quote from the Gospel according to Wikipedia:

I also saw something that related it to pop culture. So I guess its anything that garners a strong following of fans. Which is interesting, because it means nothing can be a cult when it is first created, but must become a cult only if it inspires people to think of it that way.

BIB - so why are Soaps not regarded as "cult" too, they have strong followings of fans. I'm just curious as I can't think of an appropriate definition to cover everything I consider "cult"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Quote edited as requested by Star - can't go upsetting Star again, I can't afford anymore champagne!)

It will have to be diamonds if you upset me again Lem ;):p:p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - so why are Soaps not regarded as "cult" too, they have strong followings of fans. I'm just curious as I can't think of an appropriate definition to cover everything I consider "cult"

They have lots of fans, but are they as passionate? Do they writefanfic, dress up as characters etc? I don't know the answer, just trying to think up possible differences. I don't watch UK soaps so I don't really know what the fans are like.

Traditionally cult stuff used to be geeky of course, which soaps never were, but it seems to be coming almost fashionable now, so I don't know how that helps define cult status.

Cult stuff lives on after the show or film or thing is finished. Do soap fans talk about it long after its gone as if it was still there? Is there still a big fan following for Eldorado??? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have lots of fans, but are they as passionate? Do they writefanfic, dress up as characters etc? I don't know the answer, just trying to think up possible differences. I don't watch UK soaps so I don't really know what the fans are like.

Traditionally cult stuff used to be geeky of course, which soaps never were, but it seems to be coming almost fashionable now, so I don't know how that helps define cult status.

Cult stuff lives on after the show or film or thing is finished. Do soap fans talk about it long after its gone as if it was still there? Is there still a big fan following for Eldorado??? :p

As a soap fan I can tell you we are not as crazy as fans of Merlin. It's not like we love the characters, forget they aren't real or bawl our eyes out when sad things happen... oh wait :o:o

As for the third BIB - Jasmine :cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind reading slash as in these types of stories you see a different side to Arthur. Even when I have read Arwen stories you never seem to find the loving, touchy feely protective Arthur that you find in slash stories. So its not the actual slash that appeals but the emotions.
    Oh, I know some good Arwen fanfic stories that have loving, protective Arthur, I can give you the titles if you want?
    just for Star
    Wow, that chocolate looks yummy! Maybe I will put some on my birthday list. :D
    As a soap fan I can tell you we are not as crazy as fans of Merlin. It's not like we love the characters, forget they aren't real or bawl our eyes out when sad things happen... oh wait :o:o
    *snert* :p:D
    *hugs star* Cheer up my lady, look you still have lots of champagne and chocolate left. *pours another glass for star and opens more chocolates*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *snert* :p:D

You ssshhh :mad:
    *hugs star* Cheer up my lady, look you still have lots of champagne and chocolate left. *pours another glass for star and opens more chocolates*

Oh thank you my love *takes champagne and eats more chocolates* :D
    Forum Member
    Oh, I know some good Arwen fanfic stories that have loving, protective Arthur, I can give you the titles if you want?

OOO yes please !!!
    Forum Member

I used to watch a lot of soaps before I had my children and I think one of the main differences between soaps and cult shows is the fact that soaps tend are contemporary and set in an everyday setting, the types of places where normal people live. This is not so true for US soaps eg Dallas and Dynasty but definitely Uk soaps. I went off UK soaps as i grew older because although they may have a murder or a rape many of the everyday arguements and sub plots are just people being nasty to one another or getting on with normal life which as a so called grown up are things I have to deal with myself.
    I think that the cults tend to centre around shows like Merlin, Dr Who and Buffy because they are very much removed from modern everyday life and I like to escape when I watch TV. I mean who is going to meet a warlock or a prince today ?
    Its the reason that they are so escapist that they attract an avid if somewhat smaller following than soaps. Perhaps people who enjoy cult shows have more of an imagination ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OOO yes please !!!
    OK, I'll look them up when I get home this evening. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps people who enjoy cult shows have more of an imagination ?

I've always enjoyed cult shows and I have NO imagination. That's why I like watching them, and similarly reading fanfic, because there are all these amazing ideas and scenarios and my mind is far too dull to come anywhere close to imagining them myself.

Perhaps I don't like uk soaps similarly because I don't need an imagination for them - just look out the window or at the news. Interestingly I do still watch Aussie soaps - but I think it's because they have this amazingly imaginative thing called sunshine :D

Ps. I am in no way trying to claim that fans of cult shows have no imagination. All the fanfic clearly proves otherwise. I'm merely saying its not why I like it.
    Forum Member
    I've always enjoyed cult shows and I have NO imagination. That's why I like watching them, and similarly reading fanfic, because there are all these amazing ideas and scenarios and my mind is far too dull to come anywhere close to imagining them myself.

Perhaps I don't like uk soaps similarly because I don't need an imagination for them - just look out the window or at the news. Interestingly I do still watch Aussie soaps - but I think it's because they have this amazingly imaginative thing called sunshine :D

Ps. I am in no way trying to claim that fans of cult shows have no imagination. All the fanfic clearly proves otherwise. I'm merely saying its not why I like it.

Yes i too find uk soaps very boring and mundane and I agree with you about the aussie soaps and sunshine. I think for me I like programmes to take me to a place or world I no nothing or very little about and uk soaps are just too mundane.