Eating In The 50's

indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
Forum Member
✭✭
I received this via email this morning and thought it was quite funny.:)

Pasta had not been invented.

Curry was a surname.

A takeaway was a mathematical problem.

A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.

Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.

All crisps were plain, the only choice we had was whether to put the salt on or not.

A Chinese chippy was a foreign carpenter.

Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever, part of our dinner.

A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.

Brown bread was something only poor people ate.

Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking

Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.

Coffee was Camp, and came in a bottle.

Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.

Only Heinz made beans.

Fish didn't have fingers in those days.

Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi.

None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.

Healthy food consisted of anything edible.

People who didn't peel potatoes were regarded as lazy.

Indian restaurants were only found in India.

Cooking outside was called camping.

Seaweed was not a recognised food.

"Kebab" was not even a word never mind a food.

Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.

Prunes were medicinal.

Surprisingly muesli was readily available, it was called cattle feed.

Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.

Water came out of the tap, if someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than petrol for it they would have become a laughing stock.

The one thing that we never, ever, had on our table in the fifties ..

.. was elbows!

Comments

• General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    .... and yet people ate better and were healthier back then than they are now.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,836
    Forum Member
    .... and yet people ate better and were healthier back then than they are now.

They certainly weren't healthier, they probably ate better though because they couldn't afford a lot of foods.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they died before their 70th birthday.

When today that's nearly 80th birthday.

It wasn't all good back then
  • General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    But they died before their 60th birthday.

I think the OP was referring to the 1950's, not the 1750's.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP was referring to the 1950's, not the 1750's.

Life expectancy in the 50's was 66.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,836
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Life expectancy in the 50's was 66.

Which was from birth so people in the 1950's probably died about the age of 60.
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still regard cubed sugar as posh.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    We eat less healthy foods today, it's only that we have more advanced medicine nowadays. There are so many artificial things added to the stuff we eat, and it's always been like that.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think you will find life expectancy was a lot more to do with lack of medical procedures and advances like we have now rather than their diet back in the 1950's.

Plus the air pollution was awful back then, they had the smog! Again death from poor air quality was nothing to do with their diet (plus remember they still mined for coal and WWII had injured a lot of people) so you can't really equate death rates then to now.

They ate less rubbish (rationing didn't end until 1954) and exercised more.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of things today were still seen as pretty exotic during the 80s and even early 90s to some.

Things like peppers, ginger, ... Pizza..... McDonald's :eek:
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And pasta had been invented - a long, long time before the 1950s!!

My parents say they were definitely eating pasta in the 50s - proper pasta at that, not Heinz tinned stuff.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember eating pasta as a meal until I came to London in 1970 when cheap Spaghetti Bolognese in a greasy spoon caff seemed ever so sophisticated...........:p

But I have a vague memory that pasta in the form of macaroni was eaten as a pudding ?

similar to rice pudding

but it's only a vague recollection, I could be wrong

Also another one..............Olive Oil was something you put in your ear if you had earache........and you bough it in little phials at the chemists
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble with these sort of e-mails is they aren't actually written by someone who was actually there. I only skimmed it and immediately:

"Curry was a surname" - curry was popularised by Britons returning from India in the Raj era, curry powder has been available since Victorian times at least.

"The only Indian restaurants were in India" -
    First curry house opened in London in 1809

"A takeaway was a mathematical problem." - We've had takeaway fish 'n chips since Victorian times.

"Seaweed was not a recognised food" - the Welsh wouldn't agree - dis their laverbread at your peril!

Theres a few others I'm dubious about, though must admit that to folk in the early '50s bananas, pineapples and oranges probably had been quite rare beasts during the war and after.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    But I have a vague memory that pasta in the form of macaroni was eaten as a pudding ?

similar to rice pudding

but it's only a vague recollection, I could be wrong

My mum used to make a milk pudding with macaroni much the same as rice pudding - she would also do sago and tapioca.
    Macaroni cheese features in Mrs Beatons cookbook.
    Oh - and pasta must have been known in the '50s, else how could the famous 1957 Panarama spoof about the spaghetti harvest have worked if no-one had heard of spaghetti?

:oSorry, but these sort of viral e-mails wind me up...:mad:
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was born in 1950 - so a child of the 50s!
    It's probably true that people ate healthier. There wasn't the proliferation of convenience meals back then and a working class family was likely to have plain but relatively nutritious home cooked food.
    Apparently the diet was even healthier during rationing - which ended in 1954.
    Also - there was less reliance on private cars - you simply walked further. Nor was there the amount of gadgetry to turn us all into couch potatoes.
    As others have said - the gradual rise in life expectancy is more to do with medical advances. Plus in any case, the averages for those born around 1900 are presumably slewed by childhood mortality and war.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    My mum used to make a milk pudding with macaroni much the same as rice pudding - she would also do sago and tapioca.
    Macaroni cheese features in Mrs Beatons cookbook.
    Oh - and pasta must have been known in the '50s, else how could the famous 1957 Panarama spoof about the spaghetti harvest have worked if no-one had heard of spaghetti?

:oSorry, but these sort of viral e-mails wind me up...:mad:

I'm sure that most people had heard of spaghetti but almost certainly weren't quite sure what it was...........that's why the April Fool worked, because people weren't sure !
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Also another one..............Olive Oil was something you put in your ear if you had earache........and you bough it in little phials at the chemists

My Granny kept a small bottle in the medicine cabinet, she used it to treat burns as well as for earache.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    No edible seaweed? My grandparents ate loads of laverbread even in the 1930s!
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex mother-in-law's mother was from Caerphilly so way back then they were eating laver bread made with seaweed - she said it was nice.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy a bag of dried seaweed (dulse) every weekend, it sells very well and is very popular this time of the year.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    No edible seaweed? My grandparents ate loads of laverbread even in the 1930s!

Every Saturday morning around 9.30 the Penclawdd cockle women would descend on our neighbourhood and go door to door with their huge baskets of cockles and laverbread.
    My dad always bought both.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The Spaghetti House in London opened in 1955 in Goodge Street. It quickly became very popular and more restaurants opened shortly afterwards.