Made to feel forced into doing overtime

caz06caz06 Posts: 849
Forum Member
✭✭
hi guys, please bear with me but i'm so confused and don't know where i stand,

i got a job at a supermarket back in september, contracted for 16 hours a week, it is a 6 month contract, but after 3 months they sign you off and make you permanent, so when i started they asked me if i could work more hours (overtime) each week, so for the first 2 months thats what i did, i was working 40-50 hours a week, i then went on holiday for 2 weeks in november, and when i returned they had take on a load of temps, and i was just down to working my contracted 16 hours, all the temps had been given the extra hours, so to me this felt really unfair , over the last few weeks 1 or 2 of the temps have left on their own will but still no-ones come up to me to ask if i want overtime of their hours that would be available, but i did work 2 overtime shifts last week before xmas as they were desperate with someone ringing in sick.

so yesterday while i was at work, i had my 3 month review, this is where i would have been made permanent, so my supervisor said to me, we have a problem with you and being flexible ect, you never ask or offer to do the overtime and your the only person on the department now thats part time so your the only person who can do the overtime with the temps left/leaving as all the other staff are full time, i tried telling them my side but its almost like they've forgotten how much i did work before all the temps for them, and that i did do 2 extra shifts last week to help them out when they was short, so my supervisor said he was going to give it another month and that he wants me to pick up all the overtime thats going (which will be practually everyday) otherwise come the end of january i'll be given my notice :mad: , i just don't know what to do, i've got a life outside of work and i plan things around my usual shifts, i don't wanna be bullied and pressured into doing doing overtime :(

Comments

• TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrible place Asda

You can be more flexible without going over the top
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    Go and see HR and explain to them that pre holiday you were doing 40-50 hours a week and then had that taken away after the holiday. Then tell them that your supervisor is making threats that you could lose your job because you supposedly don't offer to take up hours that haven't been there. Get it on record.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Is overtime mentioned in your contract, OP?

The employer can't get rid of you just because you don't do overtime, but having said that, they can use another excuse to get rid of you instead.

What you could do is pick-up the overtime in January, get made permanent, and then refuse any future overtime :)
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm not saying i won't pick up a few extra shifts because its nice to have a bit of extra money, but i'm not and shouldn't be made to work all the overtime going, with a job being threatened for it , all the managers and team leaders used to be so kind and polite when they'd see you everyday coz they knew i was in doing the overtime, but like i said it was like they was talking to me yesterday without no aknowledgement of how much i used to work for them before they decided to take on more than enough temps and and give them the hours, but its just really upset me because i'm sure with them keeping me on a temporary contract until the decide to make me permanent i've got no rights to stand on ect :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    but its just really upset me because i'm sure with them keeping me on a temporary contract until the decide to make me permanent i've got no rights to stand on ect :(

Exactly, and unfortunately this is the situation at the moment, but to get the permanent contract couldn't you just pick-up the overtime in January, get made permanent, and then refuse any future overtime?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, and unfortunately this is the situation at the moment, but to get the permanent contract couldn't you just pick-up the overtime in January, get made permanent, and then refuse any future overtime?

looks like i'm going to have to do this :(
  • Iane LamentIane Lament Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    looks like i'm going to have to do this :(

u r just putting off the inevitable. just tell them you are not obliged to do this o/t and to stop playing you.
  • Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    Horrible place Asda

How do you know the OP is referring to that particular supermarket?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He doesn't. It's actually Sainsburys.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    u r just putting off the inevitable. just tell them you are not obliged to do this o/t and to stop playing you.

I think the OP would like to keep their job.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

I was guessing if Im honest..but there all the same everyone of them

Family member is a line manager at Asda and hes told to put pressure on temps to work extra hours...He told them to do one..He told HR and NO one in his department is pushed in to anything but some stories I could tell you would make you think WTF
  • mills705mills705 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's standard practise in retail I'm afraid. Contractual hours are tiny and expected to do overtime! However it's a big problem if you can't!
    Stand up to then and say if asked you will do the overtime but unless asked and advised with plenty of notice you will do it :)!

If you do the same shifts week on week you can tell them to write it into your contract
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    January is a pretty bleak month, and usually dead socially. If it were me, I'd be head down, plough through as much overtime as was going and get it banked for the warmer months, when hopefully you'll be a permanent member of staff with a better regimen of hours.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,806
    Forum Member
    Is overtime mentioned in your contract, OP?

The employer can't get rid of you just because you don't do overtime, but having said that, they can use another excuse to get rid of you instead.

What you could do is pick-up the overtime in January, get made permanent, and then refuse any future overtime :)

And then get sacked. Not great advice.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go and see HR and explain to them that pre holiday you were doing 40-50 hours a week and then had that taken away after the holiday. Then tell them that your supervisor is making threats that you could lose your job because you supposedly don't offer to take up hours that haven't been there. Get it on record.

This^ definitely. I would also take the facts in written form with you and request it is placed on your file.

Supermarkets are particularly cut throat and employee relationships are not high on the agenda - despite the PR they hand out about 'colleagues' etc.
  • this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

My son (a student) started a 16-hour a week job at Sainsburys about 2 weeks ago, but its a permanent contract straight away, not a 6 month contract. Though he is on probation for 12 weeks.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Retail really is the pits isn't it ? I feel for you OP :(
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems crazy that some people are desperate for a job and others are forced to do hours they don't want to.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work at ASDA, its a good company to work for.

(And yes they do have people that monitor social websites, however its not my job to say on this thread that I like working for them. If I didn't, I would just not comment on the thread.)

The previous post history of this poster would suggest he works at one of the main rivals of ASDA.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    I was guessing if Im honest..but there all the same everyone of them

Family member is a line manager at Asda and hes told to put pressure on temps to work extra hours...He told them to do one..He told HR and NO one in his department is pushed in to anything but some stories I could tell you would make you think WTF

No one has to do anything at ASDA outside of their contracted hours.

I'm responsable for organising my own departments overtime for covering shifts in my local store. All I usually do is to let everyone know there is overtime if its available, and if so to write their name in the book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hey folks, just want to give you an update,

since new year i've just kept my head down, carried on with my shifts, they didn't offer me any overtime but i've tried to do my best, my department manager called me into the office the other day and i thought i was getting let go, but he told me they was keeping me on and making me full time which come as a massive shock, but i can only thank the new team leader we've had come on our department, i was explaining to him 2 weeks back when he was waiting to move to our department what had gone on and what they'd said, and he seemed very angry at the fact "i'm one the best in that place" and they were picking fault for no reason, and he said he'd have a word when he was on our department , so i think it was down to him more than anyone
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the work place 2013. And how the supermarkets make massive profits of the backs of staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting a full time position. You must be happy?
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work at ASDA, its a good company to work for.

(And yes they do have people that monitor social websites, however its not my job to say on this thread that I like working for them. If I didn't, I would just not comment on the thread.)

The previous post history of this poster would suggest he works at one of the main rivals of ASDA.

I also work at asda, as most of you know, its a good company to work for, andf everyone gets paid the same rate £6.63

Yes when you start full time, you may only have 16 hr, but as tie go on, these can be increased, all you have to do, is peak to your manager

As for overtime, your left to your own devices, a=every week, ovewrtime is placed into the books, and if you want overtime, you have to write yoiur name down
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has to do anything at ASDA outside of their contracted hours.

I'm responsable for organising my own departments overtime for covering shifts in my local store. All I usually do is to let everyone know there is overtime if its available, and if so to write their name in the book.

I would say this is not always the case, like my self on checkouts, I never finish on time, might finish 10 min past clocking out time, this is down to , queues and happy to help, but the blame lie with colleagues turniong up late, who then hold me back