Options

Best way to remove dried red wine stain?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, spilt red wine last night on a light coloured carpet, tried carpet cleaner but it has still left a stain, can anyone recommend the best way to get this stain up now, read something about using baking soda, not sure if that will work or not?, presume it's too late to throw white wine on it?

Comments

• Options
    marfjammarfjam Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dampen the stain with water (but don't soak it). Sprinkle loads of salt on it and leave it to dry to a crust. Vacuum off. This may or may not work, but it won't do any harm. With hindsight (wonderful stuff!) you should have put the salt on as soon as the spillage happened and was still wet.

The one thing I know really will shift it is "Didi Seven" cleaner. Unfortunately, since production moved from Europe to America, it's next to impossible to buy it here any more.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    marfjam wrote: »
    Dampen the stain with water (but don't soak it). Sprinkle loads of salt on it and leave it to dry to a crust. Vacuum off. This may or may not work, but it won't do any harm. With hindsight (wonderful stuff!) you should have put the salt on as soon as the spillage happened and was still wet.

The one thing I know really will shift it is "Didi Seven" cleaner. Unfortunately, since production moved from Europe to America, it's next to impossible to buy it here any more.

Amazon.com sells it.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    spendleb wrote: »
    Hi all, spilt red wine last night on a light coloured carpet, tried carpet cleaner but it has still left a stain, can anyone recommend the best way to get this stain up now, read something about using baking soda, not sure if that will work or not?, presume it's too late to throw white wine on it?

The solvent is alcohol, and the old remedy is to put white wine on it and then it should come off OK.
  • Options
    PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The solvent is alcohol, and the old remedy is to put white wine on it and then it should come off OK.

That is what I would also suggest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, got a half bottle sat around, will have a go when I get home :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't work, even tried some more products from the supermarket that suggest they remove wine stains and still no luck, it's just a dark wetting looking patch on the carpet now!