Options

Hollywood Bits and Pieces

2»

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Philip K. Dick, his 1968 SF novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - and subsequently Blade Runner (1982) - was inspired by real-life American black slave Nat Turner's rebellion in 1831.

Makes sense. The replicants/slaves were seen as discardable machines with no self-awareness and emotions until they rebelled as a bid for independence and freedom. And all paid the price for rebelling. Roy Batty fared better than Nat Turner, though.

I'm guessing Dick read William Styron's 1967 novel that later won a Pulitzer, The Confessions of Nat Turner, which was in turn based on lawyer Thomas Ruffin Gray's 1831 memoir, The Confessions of Nat Turner: the Leader of the Late Insurrection in Southampton, Virginia.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    1891 George Eastman invents perforated
    celluloid film

1891 Edison demos the kinetoscope in New Jersey
    using the Eastman celluloid film 35 mm wide
    each frame bordered by 4 perforations
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In 1925 Darryl Zanuck wrote 20 screenplays
    12 became big moneymakers
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    According to Philip K. Dick, his 1968 SF novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - and subsequently Blade Runner (1982) - was inspired by real-life American black slave Nat Turner's rebellion in 1831.

Makes sense. The replicants/slaves were seen as discardable machines with no self-awareness and emotions until they rebelled as a bid for independence and freedom. And all paid the price for rebelling. Roy Batty fared better than Nat Turner, though.

I'm guessing Dick read William Styron's 1967 novel that later won a Pulitzer, The Confessions of Nat Turner, which was in turn based on lawyer Thomas Ruffin Gray's 1831 memoir, The Confessions of Nat Turner: the Leader of the Late Insurrection in Southampton, Virginia.
    Genuinely interesting. Being an owner of a hardback edition of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, I'm embarrassed that I didn't know that!!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Genuinely interesting. Being an owner of a hardback edition of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, I'm embarrassed that I didn't know that!!

Aw. I must credit Brian Robb, author of Counterfeit Worlds: Philip K. Dick on Film, for that. I actually haven't read this book, but a SF-mad friend read out bits from it. That's how I learnt the Nat Turner connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For 30 years Darryl Zanuk ruled at 20th Cent Fox ...

Now Murdoch is in control !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paulette Goddard met the 46 yr old Charlie Chaplin and he put her in
    ... Modern Times.... a silent movie made 8 yrs after sound had come in !

Incredibly Modern Times became the the 2nd biggest grossing movie that
    year and Paulette went on to become a big star at Columbia .
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Paulette Goddard met the 46 yr old Charlie Chaplin and he put her in
    ... Modern Times.... a silent movie made 8 yrs after sound had come in !

Incredibly Modern Times became the the 2nd biggest grossing movie that
    year and Paulette went on to become a big star at Columbia .

Paulette (who became a big star at Paramount, not Columbia) was also the hot favourite to play Scarlet in Gone With the Wind, her test was certainly the best out of all those that I have seen. What stopped her getting the most coveted role in the history of the movies was that she and Chaplin were not married.

Ironically, Vivien Leigh who eventually won the role was living with her lover Laurence Olivier, who was still married with a child, as was Vivien.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At age 55 Charlie married the 17 yr old Oona

After the war they left America and went to live in Switzerland