Ugh, Ricky Gervais

Comments

• Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally totally totally agree with you...he is an overated unfunny stupid little man with a huge ego

and a huge gut as well:p
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved, loved, loved The Office and Extras. Wasn't keen on Ghost Town and I'm afraid apart from the first half an hour The Invention of Lying was just embarrassing when RG's character 'discoverd religion'. He seems the type who doesn't have an 'off' button so would be quite draining to live with but he's welcome in my sitting room when I need a damn good giggle.
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant stand that man and he so loves himself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Anyone who can make Karl Pilkington a multi-millionaire can't be all bad. :cool:
  • SeventeenSeventeen Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that people think he's big-headed. That's his ACT! He self-depreciates by saying things like "I'm the best guy in the world" because it's supposed to be funny because he clearly isn't. He self-depreciates all the time and so many people just totally miss that it's a joke.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seventeen wrote: »
    I can't believe that people think he's big-headed. That's his ACT! He self-depreciates by saying things like "I'm the best guy in the world" because it's supposed to be funny because he clearly isn't. He self-depreciates all the time and so many people just totally miss that it's a joke.

I did wonder when that old chestnut would be trotted out :p

The man is vile! I loved the Office, but now I can't watch it because I realise he IS David Brent, but far, far worse! What a painfully unfunny, odious little twerp he is. I remember him having to fill time at a charity concert (for Diana, I believe) and he bombed so badly, it was cringeworthy - so never mind it's all an act, he genuinely is terrible!

His stand-up DVD 'Fame' was so bad, he resorted to making jokes about children with cancer (see the comments on Amazon for his DVD - even his fans think he 'went too far'). I don't mind a bad taste joke, I love Frankie Boyle, but this was just unfunny offensive tosh. He name-drops like hell, constantly refers to his money, he resorts to doing the Brent dance because it's literally the only funny thing he knows how to do. His movies suck, he ruins good films...argh, I hate hate hate him.

And no, I'm not jealous...I just can't fathom why someone so utterly awful, such a one-trick pony, has managed to get the backing for all these years, and not once, even on a whim, ever paid dividends!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I didn't like The Office although I very much appreciate that many people highly rate it, but I loved Extras.

I think Ricky is often much mistaken, and the smugness (and he can't help his face, he does have a rather sneery look!) is all part of his routine.

Edit - I still believe this, despite the post above mine.
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The man is vile! I loved the Office, but now I can't watch it because I realise he IS David Brent, but far, far worse! What a painfully unfunny, odious little twerp he is. I remember him having to fill time at a charity concert (for Diana, I believe) and he bombed so badly, it was cringeworthy - so never mind it's all an act, he genuinely is terrible!

His stand-up DVD 'Fame' was so bad, he resorted to making jokes about children with cancer (see the comments on Amazon for his DVD - even his fans think he 'went too far'). I don't mind a bad taste joke, I love Frankie Boyle, but this was just unfunny offensive tosh. He name-drops like hell, constantly refers to his money, he resorts to doing the Brent dance because it's literally the only funny thing he knows how to do. His movies suck, he ruins good films...argh, I hate hate hate him.

And no, I'm not jealous...I just can't fathom why someone so utterly awful, such a one-trick pony, has managed to get the backing for all these years, and not once, even on a whim, ever paid dividends!

I was actually listening to fame when I read this, i totaly disagree, yes his jokes are shocking the cancer ones are very harsh, but what you have to remember is he does raise loads of money for charitys like the teenage cancer trust. If you have ever listend to the Pete and Dud records then Gervaises stand up is nothing.

He doesnt name drop in anything I have heard except when he is asked by an interveiwer.

As for the backing he gets, it comes from the attention to detail he pays to work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    If you have ever listend to the Pete and Dud records then Gervaises stand up is nothing.

Indeed, Pete & Dud were funny but, as you say, Gervais is nothing.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ricky Gervais has millions of fans, who find him very funny - some of his act is near the knuckle, but as he explains it is an act, he didnt really throw a cancer sufferer out of a show - or other things he jokes about.

There are many less funny people and there are much funnier people, he is kinda in the middle, but rich beyond his wildest dreams I bet.

If people are offended by Gervais then they can easily avoid him, he is hardly on UK at all. Also if people find him so odious dont read stories about him.

I dislike KP but can't be bothered to read about her or have a moan.

Feel free to have a moan, just dont let hatred ruin your day:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    He's 'turned' hasn't he. You can gauge the exact point when people get their heads turned by their success via appearences on the Ross show etc. First time you see them they're a bit shy and flummoxed, next time they seem a bit giddy, but you know they've gone over to the dark side when they go a bit humourless and pompous and start telling anecdotes about the size of their trailers on set. Simon Pegg's 'turned' as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can gauge the exact point when people get their heads turned by their success via appearences on the Ross show etc.

It's a Brit version of "jumping the shark" for some, but for others the 'hilarious' repartee they enjoy with Ross and such just cements the idea of them being witless, tedious and dull. Gervais is to Ross what Billy Connolly was to Parkinson. i.e. Unfunny, boring and a very good reason to change channel.
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's 'turned' hasn't he. You can gauge the exact point when people get their heads turned by their success via appearences on the Ross show etc. First time you see them they're a bit shy and flummoxed, next time they seem a bit giddy, but you know they've gone over to the dark side when they go a bit humourless and pompous and start telling anecdotes about the size of their trailers on set. Simon Pegg's 'turned' as well.

Peter Kay 'turned' for me on The One Show just before Xmas. Normally I'd cheer anyone who takes the hows-yer-father out of Chiles but Kay just appeared to be trying to sabotage the show without being funny. Gervais appeared to be going in the same direction when he was on recently but was actually funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    technoguy wrote: »
    This is so true, In Britain we love losers and will not tolerate a winner.

Its one of things that I find embarrassing about this country.

Well you remembered it wrong. That never actually happened. :)

And as expected someone jumps to his defense. The ironic thing there being that one of the embarassing things about this country is Gervais himself. Besides, you only have to look back to Beijing 2008 to see Britains opinion on winners.
    mounty wrote: »
    Do you not know that Gervais wrote the script!

Which was then edited by the main Simpsons writing team, either way the episode was dross.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not keen on his movies at all but LOVE The Office and Extra's and think his stand up is amongst the best I've seen. I like him. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sepmix wrote: »
    And as expected someone jumps to his defense. The ironic thing there being that one of the embarassing things about this country is Gervais himself. Besides, you only have to look back to Beijing 2008 to see Britains opinion on winners.

Which was then edited by the main Simpsons writing team, either way the episode was dross.

No episode of The Simpsons could ever be described as ''dross''. How could you?!! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Apache wrote: »
    He's actually mates with Simon Pegg soooo...

They might have made up but Simon Pegg did call Gervais a "fat idiot" and slated his attitude since moving to LA.

I dont mind his comedy but i doubt any of his fans find him as funny as he finds himself!
  • alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love him - the podcasts are just brilliant!
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ricky Gervais is still as hilarious as ever :D

What I personally don't get, is how so many people have turned on him. I don't like this idea that the British like to build someone up, only to knock them down. I just think it's to do with his over-exposure, and the fact that he's done so well in the US which has given him even more over-exposure here and there.

I still listen to his Guardian Podcasts in my car, and swerve all over the roads because I'm laughing so hard :p

I agree - I think he's a very funny guy. It doesn't take much for the GBP to turn though, especially oline. Disliking Ricky Gervais is just another an internet virus IMO
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    cant stand the unfunny little P***ck
  • Big Headed LadBig Headed Lad Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    They might have made up but Simon Pegg did call Gervais a "fat idiot" and slated his attitude since moving to LA.
    Get a dictionary. Look up "joke". They have been pals for years, the public slanging match was just them pissing about.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^This - with bells on.

Gervais's stand up us pitiful, utterly pitiful. He is a total douche. The Office and Extras were funny in parts - but would have been nothing without the input of Merchant. I don't care if his arrogance is an act or not - it just ain't funny.

Yes, I like Frankie Boyle too and love a bit of controversy - but Gervais doesn't have the intellectualism or depth to do that kind of comedy properly - he's lax and lame. As for his stand up at Diana's memorial concert - that showed him up for being the utter sham of a comedian that he is.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seventeen wrote: »

My dislike is based around the fact that he's a one trick pony. Hes basically got one "act" which he's milked to death...

And he has the cheek to have a go at other comedians for using cliched characters etc, when thats all he does himself!

I get that hes being ironic.

I dont get that he's somehow the saviour of British comedy when tbh I think his "cringe" comedy was little more than a FAD!!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear....it seems that even the US has come to the conclusion that Gervais is a plank. :p