Oil pressure warning light on cars

2»

Comments

• jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't like to say.

I've had cars that have lit up the oil pressure light for a few seconds (every time you start it) that've run for years without a problem.

I've also had a car where the oil light flickered once for about 2 seconds and then, about 5 miles later, the engine seized.

The first thing to do is really get the oil changed.
    If there's any sign of metallic debris in the old oil then it means that something IS causing significant wear to your engine.

Beyond that, I'd suggest you try and take it easy on the engine when driving.

Doing stuff like driving along a motorway and then coming to a halt on a slip-road can be particularly bad for a worn engine cos the engine will be going fast and then, as you come to a halt, there won't be anywhere near as much oil pumping though it.

If you use the car for trundling around town and you don't rev the nuts off it you will probably be okay but if you use the car on fast roads or motorways you should probably get it looked at more urgently.

I really would get the oil changed ASAP though and make sure you ask the person doing it to inspect the old oil for signs of metal fragments.
    Most sump plugs are magnetic so metal shavings will stick to them so they're easy to spot.

Thats good advice si_crewe at least Op knows the next step.

I wont keep you as I know how busy you are with that bl00dy Rover:p:D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the car serviced when it has the MOT and they do an oil change then. This was last done back in March and I don't drive too much - probably only about 5-6,000 miles a year.

Motorways won't be a problem since there are none round here. :) Because of the other issues I've only been driving around town anyway, and even then it's because somewhere isn't realistically in walking distance or I have shopping to carry. :D

Thanks for everyone's help. I think realistically I'm going to have to visit a garage soon anyway. :)
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Do cars normally have an oil level warning light? I don't think so,

I had a 1990 Citroen AX GT and that had an oil level warning light
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Tiexen wrote: »
    I had a 1990 Citroen AX GT and that had an oil level warning light

No you didn't. It was an oil pressure light and you're just too stupid to know the difference.

Apparently. ;)
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you didn't. It was an oil pressure light and you're just too stupid to know the difference.

Apparently. ;)

it's an oil light, to us non motor heads. Bad news if it comes on.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently. ;)

WRONG: orange light is oil level. Flashes for about 10 seconds after engine start if it thinks the oil level is low.

It also had the standard Oil pressure light
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I was told when learning to drive.
    If you see the oil light come on - stop and swith off.

But in more modern cars it could be a sensor failing or electrical problem, not a real problem with the oil at all. The trouble is there is no way of knowing.

I have not seen a car without some kind of oil warning light. I understand that in the old days cars had a an oil needle indication, like a fuel needle, and it was GM that first introduced what they called the "idiot oil light" as a result of people not understanding the oil needle. The only problem is with the light rather than needle, if its a real failure you wont have long before the light going on and the engine stopping.

I should also say that someone I know used to drive a Fiat Punto 1.2 petrol and on that the oil lamp would flicker at motorway speeds but was find at speeds below that. it was loosing any oil either, so dodogy Fiat electricals in that example.