Comments

• Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    What channel?

(In b4 Speedboat, Birmingham etc.)
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching it before as well. Challenge is one of my favourite channels. :o
    I loved how Jim called the video player "Hi-tec" :D
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,865
    Forum Member
    "Keep out of the black and in the red, nothing in this game for two in a bed" :D:D

The prizes really were crap when you look back now.

My sister actually has a proper bendy bully someone gave her. I was so impressed by it lol
  • Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Aw I can't get Challenge with my cheapskate Freesat
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Mike Hawke wrote: »
    What channel?

(In b4 Speedboat, Birmingham etc.)
    Challenge+1
    Mikay wrote: »
    I was watching it before as well. Challenge is one of my favourite channels. :o
    I loved how Jim called the video player "Hi-tec" :D
    :D and what were people wearing back then:D
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    "Keep out of the black and in the red, nothing in this game for two in a bed" :D:D

The prizes really were crap when you look back now.

My sister actually has a proper bendy bully someone gave her. I was so impressed by it lol

Thats probably worth quite a bit now:cool:
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,865
    Forum Member
    Thats probably worth quite a bit now:cool:

Ha I'll have to ask her where it is, she's complaining how skint they are at the moment, so maybe she could flog it on ebay:D
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best bit about Bullseye is when they gamble all & lose... Look this is what you could have won... Never mind here are your tankards lol :D
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The drinks decanter and glasses was the best prize.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if you won the mystery star prize & it's a boat but you live in a little flat in a city miles from the coast? :o
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, Dave your from Huddersfield and I gather your entire family's just been decimated in an horrific house fire in which they all died an agonising death, unable to escape as they choked on the suffocating black smoke? Great, super, smashing, you get some lovely people on Bullseye.
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was there always a boat? They must have had some kind of deal with the company that made them.

I always loved The Price is Right, they got lots of swag on that show sometimes.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the prizes like the china tea sets, cutlery sets and washing machines are fairly timeless. But some look really dated ~ like the aforesaid VHS recorder, telephone answering machines and the like.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    The best bit about Bullseye is when they gamble all & lose... Look this is what you could have won... Never mind here are your tankards lol :D

BFH ~ bus fare home :D

I love the way Tony Green said "OK, settle in, all the time in the world" lol.

Why did the contestants nearly always choose "faces" as their opening category ? "OK, Dave for Bill" ~ "err, faces please Jim" ;)

You always knew the initial winners were walking when they said "We've had a great day, Jim....."
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so funny seeing all the "antiques" they had on offer back then that we once thought were state of the art. Nostalgia at it's best :D
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember sometimes the star prize was a fitted kitchen - I used to wonder how 2 friends who didn't live together shared that one!
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    I remember sometimes the star prize was a fitted kitchen - I used to wonder how 2 friends who didn't live together shared that one!

:D Yes, I always thought that about the main prizes, would love to have seen a follow up program about how they resolved these problems. Ditto making the poor devils 'look at what you could have won'. Bet there were some belting fall-outs afterwards.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's your prize money of thirty quid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    A VHS was state of the art back then, not cheap to buy either.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A VHS was state of the art back then, not cheap to buy either.
    Then again - was it a simple 1-programme 7-day model? I seem to remember they were mostly top-loaders...

I also remember that the local technicians (Strong and Rayner) loved the reconditioned breezeblock VHS unit we had from them, as it could actually be repaired. Consider my family started with Beta - a Sony C7E - we got a VHS recorder in addition in 1987.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotta love a bit of bully at half past 1 in the morning:D

Look what you cudda won!
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    They had one category described as "Affairs"
    "That's current affairs really " said Jim."Not any other type of affair"
    They didn't have room to fit "Current Affairs" on the board.

He did apparently say "smashing, super, great" when someone said he was unemployed.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A vcr in the late 70s early 80s cost 5 or 6 weeks wages! Thats around £3,000 today! White goods were also very expensive back then, and an average basic ( no remote control) colour tv set would have been 3 weeks wage.
  • KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love to know how couple got a speedboat home.
    A speedboat WTF! As a prize it was a weird one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A vcr in the late 70s early 80s cost 5 or 6 weeks wages! Thats around £3,000 today! White goods were also very expensive back then, and an average basic ( no remote control) colour tv set would have been 3 weeks wage.

They probably still would be very expensive if it wasn't for cheap Chinese manufacturing & budget no-name brands which are surprisingly good. The established big name brands had to lower their prices to compete, otherwise I think they would have kept their margins high.