Supersizers Go... Wartime

nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
Forum Member
Anyone else watching this on BBC2? I'm really enjoying it, especially with the rather dishy Giles Coren...

Comments

• AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Yes I enjoyed it as well - Sue did very well to eat that snail!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this advertised and thought it looked interesting, but I was listening to 5Live the other day the critics rubbished it and put me off.
    Did I miss something good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    Thats one of the most enjoyable programmes ive watched for a long while! it was very interesting and not to mention funny!

I might try to go on a wartime ration diet, it seems the way forward!

I'm definitely going to be asking my 96 yr old gran about some of those meals when i see her next!!!

Can't wait for next weeks episode.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Awful series name.

I assume this is a spin off from the edwardian one they did as part of the BBC4 edwardian season - did they do any more specials before this series?
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    Awful series name.

I assume this is a spin off from the edwardian one they did as part of the BBC4 edwardian season - did they do any more specials before this series?
    Yes and no.

G

PS the pilot one was actually called "Edwardian Supersize Me"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say they were a little too 'off the leash' this time - hopefully they'll calm down.

It was like they were going for a culinary "Top Gear".

Still a great programme though.

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll avoid the snoek but it will probably turn up on The Great British Menu next series.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it wasn't as good as the edwardian blowout but it had some interesting bits. I still want to eat a sheep's heart even if i 'm a veggie.

Sue did really well she'll eat anything for this series by the look of it .
    grass , rotten fruit , snails. :( She's up for anything , yum.

The editing was a bit crap though, they showed part of the scene with the trifle at the start and then left that part of the meal out supposedly due to an air raid , what was that about. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mb@2day wrote: »
    I still want to eat a sheep's heart even if i 'm a veggie.

Lambs hearts are delicious, and very cheap, I get them for 50p each at the local farmers' market.

Chops
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was brilliant! they ake a great double act! i loved the bit with the americans, i want stockings, a baby, and a tin of pineapples lol
  • TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'll give the cake with the liquid paraffin in it a miss! :D
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was an excellent programme and I have it recorded to watch again. :)
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this advertised and thought it looked interesting, but I was listening to 5Live the other day the critics rubbished it and put me off.
    Did I miss something good?

Yes, I heard that too and it nearly put me off but we watched it and I agree with comments here. It was pretty enjoyable and informative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Yes, I heard that too and it nearly put me off but we watched it and I agree with comments here. It was pretty enjoyable and informative.
    I would have thought it wasn't quite laddish enough for the R5 type of audience anyway.

G
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • MaxBetaMaxBeta Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really looked as if they had the hots for each other on the show but I gather that Sue is, er, a confirmed spinster so I must have got the wrong impression. Thought it was quite fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxBeta wrote: »
    They really looked as if they had the hots for each other on the show but I gather that Sue is, er, a confirmed spinster.

Of course that's why they can flirt that wildly ...

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Sue came across as game for anything as demonstrated when she used gravy browning as tights !!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue came across as game for anything as demonstrated when she used gravy browning as tights !!!!

Ditto Giles when he licked it off (in front of the GI guests!).

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Why are they called "the supersizers"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    Why are they called "the supersizers"?

Because the pilot's name was a play on Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" (the Edwardian diet was somewhat excessive) so they've stuck with that word even though it's not as appropriate to the whole series.

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Oh okay thanks. Yes, it does seem a little strange. They should have thought of another title.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    I thought it was excellent. I laughed a lot at the gravy browning tights and the paraffin cake, and nearly puked at the snail. They kept saying Sue was a vegetarian - not sure if that was a joke but whether it was or not, respect to her for eating some truly revolting stuff.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote: »
    Ditto Giles when he licked it off (in front of the GI guests!).

G
    Did he really do that ?

I'd lick gravy browning off her anytime .:p:o:o

Pity hare pie is on the menu, I wish sue would try some sausage. :o

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They kept saying Sue was a vegetarian - not sure if that was a joke but whether it was or not, respect to her for eating some truly revolting stuff.
    I think Sue describes herself as "mostly vegetarian", but obviously doesn't have a moral problem with eating animals. Probably more of a health thing.