5. Jon Pertwee (8.72%)
    6. Peter Davison (6.11%)
    7. Sylvester McCoy (5.38%)
    8. Christopher Eccleston (4.39%)
    9. William Hartnell (4.04%)
    10. Paul McGann (3.31%)
    11. Colin Baker (2.52%)
    12. John Hurt (0.68%)

IMO, there is something very dodgy about any poll that puts McCoy above Eccleston, Hartnell, McGann, Colin Baker or Hurt.

Must admit, and it is largely due to screen time and the fact that I haven't got into the audios, but in comparison I would put Sylvester above all those in my own list....accept Mr Hartnell.

(Runs for cover)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    It cannot be held up as representative of Moffat's era, which, in terms of this Top 10 (I haven't seen the whole list yet so don't know how well the Moffat era has done overall) is a failure.

I'm not sure if 'not being in the top 10 of all episodes' can really be construed as a 'failure', can it?
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will pick a copy up in town later. I can't moan aa I didn't vote. I would have thought mcganns doctor would be more popular this time with his appearance in night of the doctor and dark eyes audio.
    Forum Member
    I will pick a copy up in town later. I can't moan aa I didn't vote. I would have thought mcganns doctor would be more popular this time with his appearance in night of the doctor and dark eyes audio.

Unfortunately, he hasn't had the same exposure as the rest of the Doctors - unless everyone who votes are familiar with the Big Finish audios, he's starting at a disadvantage.
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    1. Tom Baker (21.69%)
    2. Matt Smith (15.57%)
    3. David Tennant (15.49%)
    4. Patrick Troughton (12.09%)
    5. Jon Pertwee (8.72%)
    6. Peter Davison (6.11%)
    10. Paul McGann (3.31%)
    11. Colin Baker (2.52%)
    12. John Hurt (0.68%)

IMO, there is something very dodgy about any poll that puts McCoy above Eccleston, Hartnell, McGann, Colin Baker or Hurt.

I agree with you in the sense that his seventh place is thoroughly undeserved. But It is predictable because of the McCoy revisionism which is actually quite prevalent on this board and elsewhere. It has been fuelled by Moffat himself who said he was the most underrated Doctor.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Moffat's written episodes not abundant in the top 10. Ah, bless the moaning little babies on here bemoaning and complaining and wanting to start the RTD VS MOFFAT debates again... :D
    Forum Member
    bokonon wrote: »
    I agree with you in the sense that his seventh place is thoroughly undeserved. But It is predictable because of the McCoy revisionism which is actually quite prevalent on this board and elsewhere. It has been fuelled by Moffat himself who said he was the most underrated Doctor.

Some people like McCoy, whether or not you like McCoy, and whether or not Moffat likes McCoy. I liked McCoy. It appears many others do too. Please don't try and discount that by imagining us as brainwashed sheep.
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,283
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »

Most of the stories listed always seem to make top ten lists, so I can't say I'm surprised by the result.

Day of the Doctor and Blink are my two favorite SM scripts, so they deserve a place in the top three. It's a shame that there aren't more RTD era episodes listed, but it's good to see a nice mix of new and classic era episodes.

City of Death is my favorite classic episode, so it's nice to see that in the top five. I haven't seen the other classic episodes listed, so I can't comment on them.
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people like McCoy, whether or not you like McCoy, and whether or not Moffat likes McCoy. I liked McCoy. It appears many others do too. Please don't try and discount that by imagining us as brainwashed sheep.

I always think it must be quite difficult to brainwash sheep but that is your coinage rather than mine.

Moving on I wonder if Eccleston's low standing reflects his decision not to appear in Day of the Doctor.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Not sure I follow your logic - of course Day has done well because of the mix of actors and monsters in it, the fact that it was the 50th Anniversary show, the fact that is was longer than average so had more in it and the fact that it was so recent. It cannot be held up as representative of Moffat's era, which, in terms of this Top 10 (I haven't seen the whole list yet so don't know how well the Moffat era has done overall) is a failure. And even more so in that in polls recent stories always do better from the fact that they are fresher in people's minds (although, again, I don't know if DWM compensated for this in some way).

I'm pretty sure you missed the point of what Benjamin Sisko was saying. You're focusing on the Anniversary - whereas he dicounted that on purpose. What hje was saying is that people are calling Moff's tenure a failure due to it not being represented. But then he points out that there are others who haven't been represented, but were widely loved. And there's even a representation from when the show was beginning to fall to its knees.
    Really not sure at all what you thought he was saying... :confused:
  • LogopolisLogopolis Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Day of the Doctor shouldn’t have got the best episode. It was supposed to be the 50th anniversary special whereas it felt like more like a 8th anniversary special. The only link to the classic series was the Zygon which was only in the story for about 10 minutes. They could have also easily used the 8th doctor instead of introducing a new doctor which is Steven Moffat trying to push himself into as much of show’s history as possible.
    Forum Member
    Logopolis wrote: »
    The Day of the Doctor shouldn’t have got the best episode. It was supposed to be the 50th anniversary special whereas it felt like more like a 8th anniversary special. The only link to the classic series was the Zygon which was only in the story for about 10 minutes. They could have also easily used the 8th doctor instead of introducing a new doctor which is Steven Moffat trying to push himself into as much of show’s history as possible.

You must have turned the episode off toward the final third of it then. I won't spoil it for you, but maybe you should watch the whole episode. There's quite a lot for the classic fan. Also, if you watch the bits before then, there are many small nods and mentions. As I said though, I don't want to spoil anything for you before you've watched the whole episode.
  • LogopolisLogopolis Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not counting the thing with all the doctors at the end because it is CGI and i'm not counting the curator person because its not confirmed to be the forth doctor.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some large falls for a few top end RTD era episodes.
    Girl in the Fireplace down 18 places
    Turn Left down 27
    The Stolen Earth/Journey's End down 22
    Army of Ghosts/Doomsday down 23
    Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords down 28.

Bad Wolf/The Partings of the Ways is the only RTD series finale that has held it's popularity, down just 3.

It'll be interesting to see how well the Moffat era episodes hold up in the future. The Day of the Doctor alone I imagine is in for a relatively large fall next time around.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like McCoy as well,never really caught him 1st time round but have been watching some of his run lately and think he's good,in terms of the poll though he's probably helped by the fact he followed the worst Doctor not including the awful War Doc who I don't even count.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »

I wouldnt put any of his stories in the top 10. One thing new series writers lack is how to write a decent long story.

many fans back when end of time part 1 found it sooooooooo boring compared to part 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I see fans are continuing to go (in my opinion) OTT in their dislike of Widow & The Wardrobe :(

I realise it's a bit dull in places, but worse than Love & Monsters?! Really? :o

And how did The Massacre scrape into the top 100? Are you really that big on 'the one with the 17th century french politics and absolutely no telesnaps'? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Logopolis wrote: »
    I'm not counting the thing with all the doctors at the end because it is CGI and i'm not counting the curator person because its not confirmed to be the forth doctor.

So you did watch the whole thing?

And still missed the addition of all of the Doctors to the actual storyline? The actual appearances of the Doctors themselves? Well... Too bad for you then.

As for the curator - the most likely explanation (and the one backed up by actual lines said by the character) is not that he's the 4th Doctor, but a future Doctor who has chosen to look like 'an old favourite'. Of course, YMMV, but this is the strongest implication that I got. So, whether you think it's the fourth himself or a future incarnation, it is a reference to the 'favoured' Doctor, Tom Baker. And a very overt one. You might want to discount it, but that's your prerogative.

But by ignoring the overt references, you discredit your own argument in the first place.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby2 wrote: »
    I see fans are continuing to go (in my opinion) OTT in their dislike of Widow & The Wardrobe :(

I realise it's a bit dull in places, but worse than Love & Monsters?! Really? :o

And how did The Massacre scrape into the top 100? Are you really that big on 'the one with the 17th century french politics and absolutely no telesnaps'? :confused:

Have you listened to the audio? I'd have it in the top 20.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    So you did watch the whole thing?

And still missed the addition of all of the Doctors to the actual storyline? The actual appearances of the Doctors themselves? Well... Too bad for you then.

As for the curator - the most likely explanation (and the one backed up by actual lines said by the character) is not that he's the 4th Doctor, but a future Doctor who has chosen to look like 'an old favourite'. Of course, YMMV, but this is the strongest implication that I got. So, whether you think it's the fourth himself or a future incarnation, it is a reference to the 'favoured' Doctor, Tom Baker. And a very overt one. You might want to discount it, but that's your prerogative.

But by ignoring the overt references, you discredit your own argument in the first place.

If I had my way id flog the BBC & moffatt a ton of cash to make my own who story written by a good writer to actually feature all the doctors in the story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

Deffinately something dodgy about day being number 1 considering 60 percent of it was just boring crap. Oh yeah lets just put a gag in where Smith & Tennant are comparing their knobs over which is bigger ..... sorry I meant screwdriver.

Ill take Genesis or Androzani over that anyday because it was a real story.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby2 wrote: »

The Massacre is Doctor Who at it's most ming mong. When it's rescued from that lock up in Wigan (;-)) it'll probably go top 10.

I was surprised Myth Makers was so low, it's really really good, though that might be because it works as just audio.
    Forum Member
    Deffinately something dodgy about day being number 1 considering 60 percent of it was just boring crap. Oh yeah lets just put a gag in where Smith & Tennant are comparing their knobs over which is bigger ..... sorry I meant screwdriver.

What a surprisingly specific criticism.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ill take Genesis or Androzani over that anyday because it was a real story.

To quote my second favourite Doctor in Castrovalva; "Well, that's democracy for you."

I'd have had 'Enlightenment' in the top 5 for example!
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Interesting to compare the 'best Doctor' poll in Doctor Who Magazine with the same poll run six months earlier by the Radio Times.

Radio Times
    In total 21,384 valid votes were cast on RadioTimes.com in October/November 2013.

1. David Tennant (56.1%)
    2. Matt Smith (15.93%)
    3. Tom Baker (10.05%)
    4. Christopher Eccleston (6.59%)
    5. Patrick Troughton (2.86%)
    6. Jon Pertwee (2.38%)
    7. Peter Davison (1.59%)
    8. Sylvester McCoy (1.36%)
    9. Paul McGann (1.35%)
    10. William Hartnell (0.9%)
    11. Colin Baker (0.88%)

Doctor Who Magazine
    In total, 6,417 valid votes (slightly down on the 6,700 who voted in 2009).

1. Tom Baker (21.69%)
    2. Matt Smith (15.57%)
    3. David Tennant (15.49%)
    4. Patrick Troughton (12.09%)
    5. Jon Pertwee (8.72%)
    6. Peter Davison (6.11%)
    10. Paul McGann (3.31%)
    11. Colin Baker (2.52%)
    12. John Hurt (0.68%)

If nothing else, it seems to indicate their is a difference between what 'fans' like and what viewers, more generally, like.