Options

My local Subway store has adopted Sharia law

Comments

• Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what strikes me as even more strange is the number of liberal pro-women, pro-gay rights activists who are strangley silent when it comes to criticizing a religion which promotes oppression of all the minorities they care for so much!

why such double standards I wonder?

Come off it which religion oppresses minorities in anything like the same scale as Islam with its holy book full of nothing but hatred for the non Muslim? Tell me which one - and I mean at the present time.

Of course there's sinister aspects to Judaism (and that stabbing in the gay pride march was horrific) and Christianity but nothing compared to the atrocities in Syria, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Yemen etc all Muslim countries.
  • Options
    Forever ChangesForever Changes Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    Not all non white people are Muslims and a number of white people have converted to Islam. I am 100% criticising the religion but not other races. I find the suppression of women worrying. I'm a gay man who is afraid of Islamic homophobia and would prefer animals to not suffer any more torture than is necessary (although I acknowledge battery farms aren't great either).

I'm not a vegetarian, I eat meat and accept that animals have to be killed for that and for pest control.

But I don't believe animals should have to suffer unnecessarily, and especially not for religious reasons. Apparently that makes me a 'racist'. Go figure
  • Options
    Forever ChangesForever Changes Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    Come off it which religion oppresses minorities in anything like the same scale as Islam with its holy book full of nothing but hatred for the non Muslim? Tell me which one - and I mean at the present time.

Of course there's sinister aspects to Judaism (and that stabbing in the gay pride march was horrific) and Christianity but nothing compared to the atrocities in Syria, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Yemen etc all Muslim countries.

ummm... I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to Islam
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - my misunderstanding. I thought you were referring to Judaism and Christianity as people always wave those cards around by anytime dares to criticise Islam but realised you were the thread starter. :blush:
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Could be that they're pro choice and see it like this. You could know a catholic who chooses to negate the hate on those who choose to abort their child, or wear condoms, yet themselves would never do either. You could know a Muslim who's no problem with homosexuals but chooses not to be one themselves. Or you could know ones of either religion who claim that faith, yet do those things because that's their choice.

It's a case of as long as you're not hurting anyone, and you and those with you are happy with what's going on...that's your choice to live your life like that.

I know, left wing blah blah, but if people lived by this idea the world would be a damn fine better place.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work this way.

Muslims in Britain have zero tolerance of homosexuality, says poll

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    jclock66 wrote: »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

I lived with a muslim a couple of years ago who was fine with homosexuality. I know that's just one person, but I doubt he's the only muslim in the UK who supports gay rights...

I know other muslims who I think would probably support gay rights too as they are quite liberal in general, but I haven't specifically asked them about it so I won't claim for certain they will.

I know a lot of muslims are homophobic, but my Christian parents are homophobic too. It's just the way it is. I think in 100 years time there'll be a lot less of it in every demographic.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »

Like all other religions.

Orthodox Jews dont go too well on homosexuality too. stabbings at Israel Gay Pride:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-33726634
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably what Lebanon learnt from asian culture when it went from a 84% christian country in the 1930s, to a 70% muslim country today.

Lebanon is not a Muslim country. It is a country with a majority Muslim population. Very different.
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weak sauce troll thread.

2/10
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Sorry you lost me, I don't vote Labour/Lib, so it is probably lost on me anyway. I don't go into semantics in an attempt to try and dilute the Islam problem in the UK.

There isn't an "Islam problem" in the UK. There's a problem with a minority of Muslims, not Islam generally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Net Nut wrote: »
    Could Sharia law just be incompatible with the freedom of choice you get get in liberal democracies?

Only if it actually becomes law. Which is unlikely to happen in a liberal democracy.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what strikes me as even more strange is the number of liberal pro-women, pro-gay rights activists who are strangley silent when it comes to criticizing a religion which promotes oppression of all the minorities they care for so much!

The same can be said of hard-right wingers who don't care a jot about feminism or animal rights until it provides an opportunity to have a pop at Muslims.

• Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,590
    Forum Member
    The same can be said of hard-right wingers who don't care a jot about feminism or animal rights until it provides an opportunity to have a pop at Muslims.

Keep saying it but the far right wing extremists and the Islamic extremists have a lot more in common than they have differences but both sets of loons are too dumb to realize this
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I saw an 'All meats Halal' sticker in the window. Perhaps it's not a new thing, I don't know, but I only saw it today. Plus they no longer sell those delicious ham subs

sad that a large national chain of food outlets now condones inhumane animal slaughter.

Subway is a Franchise operation and each store must decided what will sell in it's stores. Clearly your local one has decided that the meat it sells must be Halal.

About the only way of changing this is to respectively request that any meat is not Halal - in which case a groundswell of support for non-Halal methods of slaughter will grow.
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to the Subway issue, of course Subway insists that all their Halal meat is pre stunned so the OPs faux outrage on the animal welfare side of the argument is null and void (who'dve thunk it!) http://www.subway.co.uk/menu/halal.aspx
    In line with EU Legislation and our own high welfare standards, all animals reared for SUBWAY® meat products are always treated humanely, with the utmost respect and are stunned prior to slaughter. Due to the supply chain set-up within the food industry, a proportion of the poultry in our supply chain in the UK and Ireland has been blessed.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likes been said before you should be able to demand non Halal now, as religious people are not meant to discriminate against non religious people when they are providing a service now, as demonstrated by the B&B and cake cases.

Here's the links -

Gay couple win Berkshire B&B refusal case -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19991266

Christian bakers lose gay cake case -

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-31233574.html

cake row could force Muslims to print Prophet Mohammed cartoons – lawyer -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ns-lawyer.html

If they refuse to serve you because you are non muslim, yes, but you can't demand products they simply don't have and claim discrimination because they don't have it. It's like claiming racism because you demand British lamb but they only stock New Zealand lamb.:D
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richclever wrote: »
    Back to the Subway issue, of course Subway insists that all their Halal meat is pre stunned so the OPs faux outrage on the animal welfare side of the argument is null and void (who'dve thunk it!) http://www.subway.co.uk/menu/halal.aspx

Makes this whole thread kind of redundant.
  • Options
    Peter_BlondePeter_Blonde Posts: 306
    Forum Member

I think hard right wingers don't last long before they are mobbed and driven out - whatever the situation. Society in general accepts far left much more than far right.

Why? That's easy to answer, and Douglas Murray said it best: Marxism never got a Nuremberg trial like Nazism did. There was never a conviction of the Gulag monster criminals. This is why it still gets a pass.

Many intellectuals deeply despise Islam for obvious reasons, however a leftist shield has been placed over the whole issue and anyone who questions that shield usually ends up outside the conservation, either by force or ritual leftist humiliation.

I have accepted the inevitability of Islam in the country. However, if others need to qualify that so they sleep better at night, that is cool too. The only thing worse than a aggressive leftist is one who is sleep deprived.
  • Options
    Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why should anyone care about a bunch of sexist morons pushing for 'equality' that favours Women over men?

Don't confuse the Feminists with people who want equality, they ARE NOT one and the same! Their wants are not based on equality but entitementism.

Although it is rather fitting for this thread, because just like Feminists want preferential treatment for women, many in here seem to want preferential treatment for the people that believe in fairy stories, and that everyone else should bow down to their superstitions.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I think hard right wingers don't last long before they are mobbed and driven out - whatever the situation. Society in general accepts far left much more than far right.

Why? That's easy to answer, and Douglas Murray said it best: Marxism never got a Nuremberg trial like Nazism did. There was never a conviction of the Gulag monster criminals. This is why it still gets a pass.

Many intellectuals deeply despise Islam for obvious reasons, however a leftist shield has been placed over the whole issue and anyone who questions that shield usually ends up outside the conservation, either by force or ritual leftist humiliation.

I have accepted the inevitability of Islam in the country. However, if others need to qualify that so they sleep better at night, that is cool too. The only thing worse than a aggressive leftist is one who is sleep deprived.

Probably because the Marxists helped us win the war and beat the Nazis. History is written by the winners and the extreme right lost.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, it has happened quite a few times it seems. It was my brother-in-law and his then girlfriend (now wife). She was denied the morning after pill in London by an Islamic pharmacist who refused to give a reason for denial of medicine as the law allows. She was in her late 20s at the time and working in the city.

But it is all part of the gradual islamification of the UK. It used to frighten me, but now I am with the politicians and believe there is much we can learn of asian culture.

Isn't this more common with Catholics?
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    If they refuse to serve you because you are non muslim, yes, but you can't demand products they simply don't have and claim discrimination because they don't have it. It's like claiming racism because you demand British lamb but they only stock New Zealand lamb.:D

The Christian bakers did not have a cake with a slogan that promotes same-sex marriage either, but not only were they expected to provide one they were expected to make it.

Religious people are not meant to discriminate against non religious people when they are providing a service now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Christian bakers did not have a cake with a slogan that promotes same-sex marriage either, but not only were they expected to provide one they were expected to make it.

Religious people are not meant to discriminate against non religious people when they are providing a service now.

Unlike the rest of the UK, N. Ireland outlaws political discrimination. That is what this case was about.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Lebanon is not a Muslim country. It is a country with a majority Muslim population. Very different.

What happened to all the Christians ?
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,590
    Forum Member

Your post is so full of contradictions and downright fantasy it is difficult to know where to begin so let us just take one point. If there is a "leftist shield" whatever that might be then why is our MSM full every day with stories, some true and some totally made up about Muslims and nearly all in a negative tone? If you want to look at DS both Politics and GD you will find hundreds of threads and thousands of posts about Islam and they will all be anti. This leftist shield you think exists seems to be not working
This discussion has been closed.