BREAKING: Russia Calls Emergency Security Council Meet - Fearing Korea War Imminent

Comments

• PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    "Serious conflict within hours"
    "Bridges still unbridged"

In summary, talks have failed. All we can do is wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiYuq6Ac3a0
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The live fire drill will be from 11am to 12pm which is 2am to 3am GMT so not long to wait :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101220/ts_nm/us_korea_north_drills
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The live fire drill will be from 11am to 12pm which is 2am to 3am GMT so not long to wait :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101220/ts_nm/us_korea_north_drills

It's like a countdown to the Lost finale!

What a postmodern society we've become.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Sky News: Islanders being moved to air raid shelters.

I think both sides are looking for a mini scrap. SK feels humiliated by the last attack and NK wants to show they're strong. Trouble!
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might stay up for a bit now and watch the news (well at least the headlines)

Anything could happen in the next 24 hrs *drummroll**
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky and BBC haven't been covering the UN announcements. Am I right in thinking the drills start in 1 hour? Hmmm might be worth keeping an eye on things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why the BBC isn't reporting it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Seems it was a British resolution backed by the Americans and French to severely reprimand the North that the Russians and Chinese rejected. So, we were taking the lead were we?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well its the headline on BBC News.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess its a waiting game now.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Its on the ticker - but apparently people queuing up at Heathrow and St Pancras to catch a train is more important than an imminent war involving a rogue state with nuclear weapons
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Its on the ticker - but apparently people queuing up at Heathrow and St Pancras to catch a train is more important than an imminent war involving a rogue state with nuclear weapons

I presume they're writing the story now. The BBC usually prefers multiple sources, and not just a take-on-word regurgitated AP or Reuters release, like all the other sites so far.

And you can bet Channel 4 News has Lindsey heading there right now on a plane....

Plus, snow is exciting.... :P
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    Ah yes, I had forgotten the few out of date Harriers that we can no longer afford to fly or maintain .
    If there was a war imminent we would suddenly find we could afford them. They aren't out of date, BTW.
  • PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    If there was a war imminent we would suddenly find we could afford them. They aren't out of date, BTW.

In fact keeping them would be cheaper, by a long way, than replacing them.

I know a Harrier pilot, he assures me that for 25% of the cost of the replacement the Harrier could be upgraded and be more than adequate. Furthermore in all dog-fight simulations and mocks the Harrier out-performs the replacement runs for longer on the same amount of fuel.

Mothballing the Harrier to "save money" so we can replace it with a more expensive alternative is bad book keeping and very short sighted.
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Nothing will happen. Kim Jong-Il is full of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »

I don't think he's been pulling the strings for 2 or 3 years.

He looks...... very strokey.
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »

I agree about finding the money :rolleyes:

The aircraft are old -
    Between 1969 and 2003, 824 Harrier variants were delivered. While manufacture of new Harriers concluded in 1997, the last remanufactured aircraft (Harrier II Plus configuration) was delivered in December 2003 which ended the Harrier production line.
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    I'm preparing for the worst, got lots of tins etc in.
    Forum Member
    Well the drill finished about 5 am our time. It's whether NK wants to respond. I figure if they don't do it today then they won't at all as any later would seem odd to the people.
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Bagpipes wrote: »

Bingo:

DPRK says "not worth reacting" to South Korea's artillery drill
    Forum Member
    Good...for now! Problem is NK still likes doing the odd aggressive action but next time SK will respond very aggressively.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    I agree about finding the money :rolleyes:

The aircraft are old -
    Between 1969 and 2003, 824 Harrier variants were delivered. While manufacture of new Harriers concluded in 1997, the last remanufactured aircraft (Harrier II Plus configuration) was delivered in December 2003 which ended the Harrier production line.
    Tornado GR4's are even older and were kept instead of the Harriers. A last minute U-turn in the Defence Review which has not been explained. The 1969 vintage Harriers are long gone for scrap. The GR9s (aka Harrier II) aren't new, but they've been kept up to date and still are very capable. The US Marines (who have similar planes of the same age) certainly think so.

10-15 years old for airframes is not excessive these days, and it's flying hours that matter anyway not calendar age. With military aircraft the age and capability of the avionics is much more important.

So they certainly could do a job in Korea if it came to it. They only stopped operational flying last week.