School places allocation for Sept 2011

JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any parents on this forum who have had the results in the post this morning (or online yesterday evening), of their kids school applications?

We kind of don't mind the outcome even though the school place they have given us (High School) was actually our 5th choice and pretty far away from home. What narks me though is that at least down in the south east anyway, we can put up to six choices of schools on our forms and they don't have to be in the Borough we live in. The more schools we put down "the better chance we have in our applications" they say, but when push comes to shove, they will always allocate the places to the kids living in the education authority that the school is in, so what is the point in putting down your choices? :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they are speaking with a forked tongue. It sounds as if all they are suggesting is that if you put down 6 choices that are close to your home, you have a better chance of getting one of those 6. But no one has 6 schools they really like close to their home; so they either waste choices on schools their children have no chance of getting into or they resignedly use their 4th, 5th and 6th choices for schools they don't think are particularly good; in which case the L.A. can boast that almost everyone got their children into one of their choices.

What they are trying to avoid is parents desperate to get their children into an oversubscribed school ONLY choosing that school in the mistaken belief that this will give them a better chance; then the children get shoved wherever there is most room and the parents are absolutely furious.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonkeydonkey - exactly right.

Some people only put down the name of one school in the mistaken belief that if they only put one down, they must be allocated their one choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    My colleague got her email last night, and her son got his 1st choice ( the best school in her area based on league tables). She was so shocked she text me at home!

Apparently one of the snobby mums who's little darling does no wrong hasn't got into this school :eek: my mate is devastated for her ;)

Several phone calls and texts later and she has now found out just about where most of the kids in her son's class are going, and only three of the other mums have got their 1st choice.

So it really is a lottery !!
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JanieB wrote: »
    The more schools we put down "the better chance we have in our applications" they say, but when push comes to shove, they will always allocate the places to the kids living in the education authority that the school is in, so what is the point in putting down your choices? :mad:

And so they should.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And so they should.

Yes, but the application form should be clear. What education authorities will never say (because I suppose there is no reasonable way they can do so) is that "you will be wasting a choice if you choose X school, but you will be guaranteed a place if you choose Y school, which no one wants". Because lea's have to maintain the myth that all schools are equal. It really is a dreadful, stressful time for a lot of parents, and I take my hat off to the OP for being so philosophical about getting their 5th choice.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Down here in Kent we are only asked for 3 choices, but a friend found out last night that she had gotten "none of the above" and her daughter has been placed in a school they didn't list at all.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but the application form should be clear. What education authorities will never say (because I suppose there is no reasonable way they can do so) is that "you will be wasting a choice if you choose X school, but you will be guaranteed a place if you choose Y school, which no one wants". Because lea's have to maintain the myth that all schools are equal. It really is a dreadful, stressful time for a lot of parents, and I take my hat off to the OP for being so philosophical about getting their 5th choice.
    But there is never a guarantee because the local authorities (apparently) can't find out ahead of time just how many children have reached the age to apply for places or to what schools they will apply. Until the requests come in there's no way of knowing which schools will be oversubscribed and which under (baring a few *star* schools which are always 300% over subscribed of course).

In one year in Kent only around 50% of children got their first choice, in another year it was over 90% because low numbers of applications meant little competition.

Similarly (sort of) in one year just two children went from my primary school to the local grammar, then in my year eleven of us went but the following year it was down to three.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were told in the actual letter that came following the "online result" that the reason we didn't get our first choice (ie our local school) was that it was over subscribed and that we lived a miniscule amount over the maximum straight line in distance that they use in tie-breaker circumstances for places.

Our 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices were schools in the next borough and the 5th choice was another school in our borough but we didn't put it higher up because we honestly thought that it was too far away and that we would get the first choice because we were supposedly within the catchment zone (the people from whom we bought our house from had children who went to the same school).

Just found out yesterday that a friend of my son who attends the same primary school got a place at our 2nd choice of school which is also in a different borough to where he lives and further away from it than we live. It really is a bit of a lottery methinks. :(
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the idea of 'choice' is better than no choice but the reality is that most of the time you will be allocated to your nearest school unless there are any special circumstances. I know several mums who have got their children into a top school on the extra places awarded for musical ability but they had to jump through hoops to do it. We have been lucky as our daughter got into the school we wanted. We moved house last year though to ensure we wre in the catchment area.